Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: summary for crash reasons

Default summary for crash reasons

I am creating a Mod based on Kingdoms and I have coincidental but very disturbing crash-situations during the turn changes. It happens sometimes after more than 50 rounds or sometimes already after 10 rounds or less.

What I need is a summary of all possible causes for crashes during the turn changes in order to analyze that problem. I remember that a summary for crash situations exists in the forum but I cant find it.
    The best help would be a tool that shows all programm steps (not only the errors) in a logfile.

Default Re: summary for crash reasons

I refresh my question and hope anybody can give me a hint. What I need is a summary for all reasons that cause crashes during the turn changes i a running campaign.

The mod is based on the retrofit mod for kingdoms. Maybe the retrofit mod is buggy in general.

No, I am having exactly the same problem. CTDs when it's AI's turn. They can happen at any time. I have no idea why is that happening. And I don't have retrofit maybe its something else?
    There's nothing in system.log
    If you ever find out why this is happening please post here.
    Last edited by Beregorn; November 01, 2007 at 11:00 AM.

And a note: It's always the catholic faction that CTD's and usually Papal States. And at the start of the game I removed all priests. Is that why it CTD's?

That is, why I ask may question here. Maybe anywhere exist a list of all kown reasons for CTD's what happen during the AI turns or the AI turns finished.
    Last edited by Adorno; November 01, 2007 at 11:51 AM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Here are a few possible causes:

-Traits
    -Ancilliaries
    -Script problems
    -Map problems
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post

-Traits
    -Ancilliaries
    -Script problems
    -Map problems

well, I didn't touch Traits ancilliaries and script files yet. And I never edited Map of Europe. My only change was adding a new faction, a new religion, and I divided Tripoli in two.

EDIT: CTD's seems to gone when I removed the papal states. So there's something wrong with papal states and I never edited Papal states in any way.

EDIT 2: Removing Papa states didn't work. But still, it only occurs in Catholic Factions.
    Last edited by Beregorn; November 01, 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Beregorn View Post
    EDIT: CTD's seems to gone when I removed the papal states. So there's something wrong with papal states and I never edited Papal states in any way.
    Is it possible that the pope died and there is no cardinal to take his place because you have removed all priests?
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    Is it possible that the pope died and there is no cardinal to take his place because you have removed all priests?
    No removing papal states didn't work. And sometimes game crashes in first turn. I never saw a pope dying in first turn in any of my campaigns. But I am guessing these CTDs have something to do with those removed priests.

The pope features, including priests and cardinals features, dont cause CTDs.
    Last edited by Adorno; November 01, 2007 at 03:11 PM.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
    The pope features, including priests and cardinals features, dont cause CTDs.
    Not true. I had a case where I disabled the papal faction by setting it to be spawned later in descr_strat but I didn't remove the special_faction line.
    The game crashed because I guess it tried to hold papal elections or something.

You might want to try using the log set to trace instead of error to get some more info.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    You might want to try using the log set to trace instead of error to get some more info.
    How do I do that? Do I need to change the .cfg files error log?

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Beregorn View Post
    How do I do that? Do I need to change the .cfg files error log?
    yes...change the word "error" to "trace"
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

[log] to = logs/system.log.txt level = * trace level = * trace
    Sorry, but there are no differences in the system.log.txt. All entries are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post

-Traits
    -Ancilliaries
    -Script problems
    -Map problems
    I deactivated all triggers for the traits and anciliaries. The capaign_script.txt is empty up to few unimportant entries.

There was so far no solution for the coincidental CTD's. 12 alphatesters report further errors after an indefinite number of turns, when rebell KI turn is finished. Maybe 33% of all test runs crashs coincidentally between the 2nd and the 100th turn.

The despair is large.

Maybe a character with an illegal name dies?

The crashs happend allready in very early versions before any names in the retrofit files was edited.

That Thread is moved to the Miscellaneous section. So the chance to get help will be very little now because only few people look into that section.

The crash situation still exist and a good mod projekt project threatens to die. This is my last attempt to get help. For information, all known reasons are examined to find the critical bug.

1. NAMES: They are complete renamed in order to avoid errors. For example

name_venice_AA
    name_venice_AB

surname_venice_AA
    surname_venice_AB

2. TRAITS: They are complete deactivated, no Triggers for getting a Trait during the campaign

3. ANCILLIARIES: They are complete deactivated, no Triggers for getting an Ancilliarie during the campaign

The campagain have a new map (width 506, height 259). Take a look

The crash still exist and occurs coincidentally between the first and the 200. turn. I give a reward for the solution of the problem but the solution.

Sorry mate, I don't have any more ideas (or wait, did you change the EDB?)
    Unless I experience such a bug myself I probably can't really investigate the cause at any rate.

Thanks for you sympathy, Alpaca.

Now I go some steps back and try all with a former versions of the mod. That is the worst case. The last eight weeks we step on place.

Is there anything what cause coincidental errors only by the map design? I ask because a incorrect map only should cause direct errors and a crash would happen immediately after campaign start or the first turn - so I assume. But coincidental crashes can only cause by coincidental factors. The programm has no free will all is based on mathematics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast