Thread: [RTW AAR] Through the ages - A Tale of bloodied steel

Default [RTW AAR] Through the ages - A Tale of bloodied steel

This AAR is for the AAR contest and is going to consist of 3 main parts.
    It will be based on 3 eras - 3 linked stories.

The AAR will start with the first person account of a man (Appius Marcellus) serving in the Roman army around 50BC - 40BC. His story will be focusing on the conquest of gaul.

Im posting only the first part of the first storie so far, It will focus on how he is forced to join the army and his first attack on a gaillic village.

Enjoy!

Chapter 1 - Part 1

So it had begun, I was 17 and my father wanted me to join the ranks of my fathers and grandfathers for the glory of Rome, So i applied for the Army - I knew what I was in for when i signed up. I was raised on dicipline as my staple food and this army thing will be a breeze. My family name will be remembered throughout the ages. My name is Appius Marcellus, I was residing in Placentia and went on my first march the beginning of the september. The current month was February and my army training started in 3 weeks, I was to eat alot and muster my strength for the busy months afterwards.

It was now September and I was awoken by the sounds of music from Placentia's town square, it was the time that i had been waiting for. I rose from my lumber and made my way to the gathering of the troops in the area. I could see men walking to the barracks and the armoury to collect their belongings and those with wifes bid farewell if they were not to return. Horses rode round the town to gather the men and I had just picked up my armour, shield and sword. Life would change from what i had once known it.

We stood in correct order and were checked by the commanding officer for anybody who wasn't stood properly, or if they had assembled their equipment falsely, or if they looked too ill to even be here. Alot of people had changed since their training and most of us were proffesional and able people, others were to weak to complete the training but forced to continue until they were fit like us, we were the models of fine soldiers, we were the finest, finest in the world.

"Romans!" a voice boomed across the square and silence occured like the lashing of a whip.

The great commander simply talked about our duty as roman soldiers, our tasks, and our enemies. The gauls, all he would talk about, the barbarians, about how they slit the throat of our ancestors, how they pillaged our trade, how they couldn't detect their own inferiority to our great peoples.

We then turned to our right and began marching out of the town and began the march to Gaul, It was time to take away the lands of our enemies as a punishment for their evils and to cleanse their dirty ways and implement our own into our new homes.

Several weeks had passed and we had marched into our claimed lands, north of Rome. The night had crawled up the mirky slopes of time and had caught up to our legion. We rested in the nearby camp and I talked with some of the friends i had made, tales of great deeds, tales of the gods and tales of war. The fire burned calmly as we exchanged laughter and got to know each other, there was one man Numerius Albinus, who I got to know very well, and soon we became most noble allies.

Horns could be heard as i put on my boots and armour and made my way to the march, we were about to attack a gailic town just about 2 miles north of our current position. We were on the Frontline of the Roman border and little was known of the targeted town. The commander selected few 50 men at random to scout the area, me being one of them. A man pulled over some horses and we saddled up and made ready for the exploration. We were told the town was over the hill and if there were troops there, they will have been alerted of our prescence by now. So we set off and above the hill with the town in clear site, all seemed clear, so we alerted the forces and described the surrounding area. The commander Vibius, stroked his chin for a breif moment and sounded the horn for the attack.

The horses were to be placed at the front, followed by the foot soldiers and archers, foot soldiers on the left flank, archers on the right.
    The area was slightly downhill to the right, an advantage to the archers incase of any flanking forces sitting at the bottom. The march continued and all seemed still. It was then - A volley of spears could be seen being thrown near the front, a couple of horses went down, but then half the horses moved uphill the the left and the skirmishers, distracted - began focusing their fire up their. The cavalry then charged down the hill at rapid speed, at the same time, the other half of cavalry began charging into the back of the skirmishers and soon, the few we had left alive began to run away. Another horn was heard and a group of swordsmen began charging down the hill, again, the cavalry split into 2 groups and attacked from both sides.

Our infantry soon got involved and the poor gailic bastards were decimated, the remaining forces gathered in the centre of the town, only to be met by roman arrows.

We had taken the town for the glory of Rome. We settled into the town for the next few weeks before embarking on our next embarkment even further into the barren lands.

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

Default Re: Through the ages - A Tale of bloodied steel

Good AAR, cant wait for the next update.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Great AAR. Good images, not to much text, and to little. I wonder in the next one if you describe Appius alittle further, and some dialouges perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    Great AAR. Good images, not to much text, and to little. I wonder in the next one if you describe Appius alittle further, and some dialouges perhaps.
    Ill try get some dialouge in the next chapter for you, thanks for the comments

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Thanks for the effort Parky!

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

That was good Parky +rep
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Chapter 1 Part 2 of 2

The town we had just taken was just the beginning of our magnificent conquest into the dirty lands of the Gaillic tribes. The followers of the town's last leader were excecuted, only the children spared, it seemed we were more caring for the young than their own parents - The Gailic men and women would send their children away from the village on horseback with little food or drink. One might say a fate worse than death.

"Men! Take what was our enemies! Their Treasures, their Valuables and their women! Burn their Houses to the ground, and let the bricks of Rome rise in their place. You must take what you can, The gods have no mercy for those of weak origin. Now Eat, Pillage and Fornicate!" Aulus Octavius, one of the commanding officers wisely exclaimed.
    The chanting of our forces then bellowed out and echoed against the houses of sticks and stones through the streets of Lugdunum.

Two days had passed since the taking of Lugdunum and most of the town's women had been raped, a great empire requires children - I had done my part.
    There was one man who seemed dazed as he sat in the mud next to one of the town's houses. He was not from the army, but he didnt look barbaric either, Appius slowly began to see that the man was bleeding. From the looks of it, he probably was from the army, probably disobeyed orders and was beaten for it. It was territory I did not wish to tred on.

The next day We were told by the general that half of this army was to depart for Alesia, the Gailic stronghold north of our position. Many of the friends I had met began to collect their belongings and prepare for the journey ahead. I was not selected to go, I would instead defend Lugdunum with about 1000 troops. The General stayed here to defend Lugdunum also.

So the 1500 troops or so left for Alasia, they were mostly foot soldiers, a few archers, but almost no cavalry.

That same night, two Gailic armies were reported approaching the village by scouts, one from the north and the other from the south. The General called his men to arms and we stood in the cracks and crevices of the town's winding paths. I for one, was stood with my unit forming protecting the General with a wall of brave soldiers.

The two armies closed in on us like the jaws of a wolf in a sheeps gut.

All in all, The barbarians had smashed against our defense like waves on the shore, none of the attacks being succesful, They had sent some of their forces round the back through some of the town's paths, but we were waiting for them, cowardly gauls, they ran as soon as they saw the tremendous array of steel and shouting of our men. Our Cavalry went on succesful flanking missions causing the disarrayed enemy to flee, slayed while they ran.
    Another succesful defense - Another coin in the bag. I felt like i had some more important buisness to attend to.

Appius Marcellus met a horrific end via arrow when his army had left Lugdunum to support the Seige of Alesia, although succesful - there were casualties - and he was one of the unlucky ones.

Appius' Tale is now passed on down his bloodline 8 Generations down to Titus Marcellus, who is defending the late roman empire from the invading barbarians from the east.
    To Be continued

Chapter 2 Part 1 is on the way folks, almost finished .

ahhh why did you kill him off =(

y halo thar

Cause he was expendable just like all of rome.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

update? hmm? im eagerly folllowing!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    update? hmm? im eagerly folllowing!
    Ive taken the screenshots, need to edit them and write the story, ill try to get it done by tonight, but im going to a friends for a while, ill have time after though.

This is really good , though the gauls are getting a little ancy for my liking I would personnaly just kill them out.

Civis

This was/is great, I've enjoyed the parts you made! I hope I get to see more !