Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gather Round - The Next Total War Community Competition is Here!

Default Gather Round - The Next Total War Community Competition is Here!

Total War Center and The Consilium Belli is proud to announce another:

Total War Community Contest

We are hosting this contest for the month of November as part of our continual effort to bring monthly contests and prizes to the Total War and the Total War Mod Community. Now, another member of the Total War Community has a chance to win a copy of the M2TW:Kingdoms expansion! See below for contest rules and conditions.

AAR Competition to Win a Copy of M2TW: Kingdoms:

• Competitors are to create a Total War-themed After Action Report (AAR).
    • It may be set in any time-period or world; however, it must be based on a Total War game (or mod).
    • The AAR must be new and uniquely written for this contest.
    • There are no limitations on maximum/minimum word count or lenght (i.e.: the AAR may encompass an entire campaign, or just a single battle... it is up to you).
    • Supporting images are not required, but are welcome.
    • The AAR may be submitted in any format: it may be a single file (e.g.: word, .pdf, etc.) or it may be posted at TWC in the AAR forum (if you post it at TWC, we recommend you specify that it is being written for this contest).
    • The AARs will be judged by the members of the CB on the following criteria: quality, originality, and their ability to grab our interest.
    • ALL AARs will be judged "side by side" (compared to each other) regardless of length, theme, style, etc.
    • Entries must be in by 11:59pm GMT November 24th, 2007. The Winner will be announced December 3rd, and the prize will be awarded at that time via a digital purchase.

Submit all entries via pm to any one of the Consilium Belli Members or e-mail them to Drak10687@hotmail.com

Terms and Conditions:
    Contestants will be deemed to have accepted these rules, and the instructions detailing how to enter, and to agree to be bound by them when submitting their entry:

Click to view content: 
    All entrants agree to license their submitted work under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License 2.5. This means it is free to use and edit non-commercially and with attribution to the original author.

Any Content uploaded must not be discriminatory, racist, obscene, libellous, offensive, illegal, defamatory, inappropriate, invasive, or in breach of any copyright, trade mark, or other intellectual property rights.

All entries involving Content will be vetted before being published online by Total War Center (TWC). TWC will not publish any Content it deems unsuitable. TWC's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Only submissions made on time and fulfilling requirements as detailed in the competition description will be eligible for consideration for entry into the draw for prizes.

TWC does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries.

TWC retains the right to refuse any entry. Please do not enter in countries/regions where it is contrary to current local legislation.

Only one entry per person is permitted.

Prizes must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash or alternative prizes offered. Any taxes incurred as a consequence of winning will be the responsibility of the winner.

The competition is not open to Administrators of TWC, members of the Consilium Belli, or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organization or running of the competition.

TWC cannot be held responsible for any network problems, phone line faults or other errors or faults of any kind whilst the user is competing online. TWC shall not be liable in any way whatsoever for any failure or breach by any third party whose services or networks you utilise in participating in this competition.

TWC's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.

TWC reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition or these rules at any time without prior notice.

Default Re: Gather Round - The Next Total War Community Competition is Here!

Hey guys!

Just want to tell everyone, that if you started an AAR just several days (no more than a week) before the announcement of the contest, we may still accept it as an entry into the contest. Just make sure to clear it with us first.
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

Mmm, better pull out my writing notebook.

Hmm haven't seen you write before Kalos.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarbiter View Post
    Hmm haven't seen you write before Kalos.
    I've written plenty of fanfics for different things before; just not Total War.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

Is it allowed to submit older AARs?
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Not if they are very old, sorry... (A week or so should be OK, if it's longer you'll have to talk with us, if it's older than a month then I guess no...)

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Hĺb

Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Atterdag View Post
    I would say so, yes.

Yes, sorry Atterdag, your AAR is a bit too old... but IMHO, besides awarding the community, the point of the contest is to stimulate it. I don't think it would be as effective if people could simply submit their previous work... nor would it be as fair to those writing theirs now.
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

What if we already have Kingdoms, can we still enter just for the uh, glory of it? Can we use the Retrofit-Addon Mods for it, or M2 only mods?
    Last edited by SSJPabs; November 04, 2007 at 08:57 PM.

Well, technically theres nothing that says that you can't enter the contest if you already have Kingdoms... you could always just give it away to someone, or do whatever I guess. So do as you like, but we won't exchange it for a monetary sum or something else, of course.

As for the mods, I'm not sure what you mean by "retrofit-addon", but as long as it uses a Total War engine (STW, MTW, RTW, M2TW) then its fine.

Consilium Belli member

Well, the modification by Unspoken Knight that rebalances the unit stats to those used in Kingdoms (where they are actually balanced) as well as adding things like boiling oil and such, and Madrono's Kingdoms Units Add-On that ports the Kingdoms only units into the Grand Campaign (France/England get muskets, Byzzies get flame throwers, Order units are available from chapter houses etc.).

Since the contest is FOR Kingdoms, I wonder if its unfair to USE Kingdoms Units in the AAR. I only ask because I've been pondering my next AAR and I figured I might as well give the contest a shot.

Since the contest is FOR Kingdoms, I wonder if its unfair to USE Kingdoms Units in the AAR.
    I think that'd be fine, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I think that'd be fine, sure.
    Because kingdoms makes for way better AARs?

I am not sure what you mean... but I'm quite sure that Publius meant that its OK to use a mod which uses Kingdom's units in an AAR for this contest, if that was not clear.

Consilium Belli member

excuse my ignorance, but what is a AAR exactly?

It stands for After Action Report (though there could exist variations on the exact wording)... but in any case, it usually means a story that is written based on in game experience of the author. For campaign based strategy games like M2TW, people often play a campaign and tell what happened... though it could be about a single battle as well. You can just describe the events straight forward, or you can invent personalities, motives, etc. and add events that were not actually produced by the game.

Besides bragging about your victories and abilities as a medieval general, or what not, they are a good way to express your writing talent, or just increase you immersion factor in the game, as you're sort of following a story or tale with goals, rather than just clicking buttons.

Pictures are often involved to better explain things, or just for fun, but they are not necessary.

Hope that helps... You can go to the general M2TW or RTW forums, and find the AAR subforum in each one if you want to see/read some.

Consilium Belli member

Hey, I'm thinking about participating. And I'm looking... but I haven't seen any judging criteria.

What are you guys looking for? Quality of story? Level of battlefield/campaign detail? Excitingness?

Do you have some kind of rubric, or is it a subjective, whatever-we-like-best sort of thing?

Far be it from me to turn down the opportunity to both write and potentially win.

The AARs will be judged by the members of the CB on the following criteria: quality, originality, and their ability to grab our interest.
    ...so yeah, pretty much the "whatever-we-like-best sort of thing"... its hard to make specific criteria for an AAR because theres so many directions one could go in when writing it. Of course quality of language, details, etc. help; however, in the end, this is art and entertainment, not a school, and certainly not an English language school... especially considering that the mother tongue of many here is not English. And we can't expect battlefield/campaign detail as you only have to base your AAR on a TW game, but a writer can always choose to just take one character and describe his life, filling up the gaps with events (like battles) which happen in game.

So in the end, a big chunk of it is just creativity. That's not to say that a straight-forward account of a campaign or battle can't win... but since there is no "grading rubric", at least one aspect of it probably does need to stand out from the rest, which could simply be its sheer quality, but not necessarily.

Consilium Belli member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast