Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Orange in Black Chocolate- a minor gameplay mod by DrIstvaan

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Default Like Orange in Black Chocolate- a minor gameplay mod by DrIstvaan

I've made a small mod, and I've decided to share it with the community.
    So, you may ask, why this title? If you like black chocolate, and know what orange-flavoured chocolate tastes like, you may have a clue. This mod is like orange in chocolate: its flavour will not dominate, but you can actually feel the difference.
    This is really not something ground-shaking. It has no new map, no new buildings and units, but has some changes that make the game play a little different.
    These changes include the following
    -Removed the units from the recruit pool of core buildings of castles.
    -Changed the amount of agents that can be recruited from various levels of their respective buildings.
    -Brothel, Inn, Tavern, Coaching House, Pleasure Palace allow for 2/0, 2/2, 3/3, infinite/3, infinite/infinite spies/assassins, respectively.
    -Of religious buildings in cities, level 1 allows for 1, levels 2-3 for 2, and levels 4-5 for 3 Priests/Imams. Of those in castles, the first level permits recruiting one, and the second level two religious agents.
    -There have been changes made to the traits as well.
    -There are new traits for Spies, Assassins, Diplomats and Merchants, which have three levels, can be acquired if trained in a city with level 2, 3 and 5 of their trainig building, and raise the agent's skill by 1,2 and 3.
    -There have been modifications carried out to chances of getting most of agents' traits; some have been hyped, some have been nerfed.
    -Starting agents (those you have at the beginning of a game) start with their natural agent's skill, and not with the acquirable one; p.e. Spies now start with Spying talent instead of Adept Agent. It makes more sense, in my opinion.
    -The settlement mechanics have got some touches as well.
    -In general, earning money is easier; this is due to two facts: 1) I like rich treasuries (), and 2) AI players seem to act more intelligently if they have cash.
    -Public order is affected more seriously by religious unrest, but it is easier to maintain by building law-buildings.
    -Population is not so severely damaged by squalor, but more seriously by plague.
    -To compensate castles a little, they gain more population from the base farming level, and their tax income has been increased as well.
    -There are be more heretics scattered around the map (so that your Priests/Imams have someones to practice on ).
    -Bribery is more likely to succeed.
    -Sacking a settlement now gives more money than extermination.
    -Armies are less likely to revolt.
    -Merchants have been hyped (to earn their keep without having to travel half the world).
    -Agents need to rely more on their skill than on circumstances.
    -Most factions are playable from start.
    -One turn=one year.

These are the things that I could recall right now; there might be some smaller tweaks that slipped my mind, but they're in anyway.
    Because this mod basically alters only strategy-map play, and modifications are in a small number of files, it should go well with mods that modify battles. Also, altough it is built upon Retrofit mod, I can probably apply it to other, popular mods if requested (and if I get permission from the other mod's creator to do so), or can even make a version for vanilla M2TW eventually.
    Note: this mod is NOT aimed at historical accuracy.
    Installation
    FIRST OFF: You NEED Retrofit mod in order to use this. For the sake of sparing space, the package only contains the files I've modified, and thus it will not work on its own.
    After you've got and installed Retrofit, copy the contents of that mod to clipboard, and paste it into a new directory in mods, into one called LOIBC. Now, extract the contents of LOIBC.zip into your new, Retrofit-containing mod-folder's MAIN directory (so, NOT Data or any other sub-folder; place it right in the LOIBC root dir).
    After this, you can launch the game with LOIBC.bat.
    Credits
    -Retrofit mod was made by Unspoken Knight (many, many thanks go to him for it).
    -All changes in this mod were made by me, DrIstvaan.

I couldn't play-test the mod extensively, so if you notice any bugs (there shouldn't be any, but anyway), lack of balance, or anything that should be fixed/improved, tell me and I'll try to do it.
    Last, but not least, you can grab the mod here.
    I think that's all the information you'll need, so, whitout further ado... Enjoy!

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

Default Re: Like Orange in Black Chocolate- a minor gameplay mod by DrIstvaan

about to give it a try - ill report in later

Sounds good!

i got a whole heap of missing file errors in my log when i played this that weren't present at all in 'vanilla' retrofit mod...

and a crash where i've never had a crash before...

i installed everything to the book both by my own modding knowledge and also by your word.

Hmmm, that's strange... I've tried this on my own computer, with a completely new install of Retrofit, and doing everything I told here, and it worked fine, without any crash. I'll try and look into it, and try to do an install on my brother's computer.

I've tested it on my system once again, after reinstalling Retrofit, and it's true that there are lots of missing files indicated in the log, but the vast majority of them are missing UIs, which are not there even in Retrofit (and I don't know how were they not missing in Retrofit itself, when they are located in directories it doesn't have). Also, I had no crash with it... Eddyg86, when did it crash fou you? At the start-up? Or some time in-game?
    Unfortunately, right now I can't test it on the brother's computer, as he says he hasn't got M2TW installed ATM.
    I suppose you know what you're doing when installing mods (and also, if you haven't installed it correctly, you couldn't even have started it up), but here is a more detailed guide to it, also for other players who might find the one in the main post too compact.
    -After installing Retrofit, copy everything from mods\Retrofit into mods\LOIBC, which you've created previously.
    -Now, extract the .zip file you downloaded from here (LOIBC.zip) into mods\LOIBC.
    -If you've done everything correctly, you can start it with LOIBC.bat now.
    Others who downloaded this mod, did you have any similiar errors?

crashed upon startup... i'm sorry brother, i havn't got your mod installed anymore, as i found retrofit was enough of a base to make my own modications to be happy.. my own blend of orange chocolate

but if you can't get anyone to test, pm me and ill reinstall and if it crashes the same (which as i did everything word for word, and have some modding knowledge of where everything ought to be etc, although i didn't check the system log when i tried your mod, sorry man) i'll send you the crash log file.

but i'd still be willing to give a new edition of your mod a go.

Of course, there's no problem (generally I make my own mods too ), I'd just like to know if this crash occurs to everyone but me, or you were an unfortunate exception and everyone else can run it, or it works for some people, and doesn't for others.

Zem's Avatar Laetus

Unlike eddyg86 I succeeded installing & running your mod. If one had a functioning retrofit mod, this mod would work as well. Certainly.

I absolutely like your mod's features (especially the building dependent agent-level, 'Population is not so severely damaged by squalor, but more seriously by plague.'). Despite I won't test it - If you don't mind - because I have my own little mod with a couple of new regions and I prefer that. After all I hardly have time to play

Of course, no problem there, and thanks for commenting anyway!

Zem's Avatar Laetus

Could you tell me why you did that: "-Removed the units from the recruit pool of core buildings of castles."?
    What's the point?

Other things. I compare your export_descr_character_traits.txt to the original one. I like yours much better. Every little change makes sense. It's a really good work! Congratulations!

Because I never understood why someone could train like Feudal Knights from castle walls... And this way players need to build unit production buildings if they want to have real military units.
    As for the compliment, thank you . I used my creativity to make 'em.
    (Off-topic: it's nice to know an other Hungarian in this thread )
    On a side note, I'm planning to expand my little mod; that would mean infusing it with some other, well-known and liked mods such as Ultimate AI and also BBB, adding my changes to the ones already present in that one.
    Last edited by DrIstvaan; January 20, 2008 at 05:16 AM.

Zem's Avatar Laetus

It's a pretty good idea, man.
    Anyway the game is lack of a good AI. In my opinion the most annoying problem is the AI keeps recruiting siege weapons. Sometimes an army consists of 1 unit of infantry and 19 units of siege weapons. If you could achieve to fix it I would be so glad...
    Besides I tried to raise the price of these weapons but it didn't help. The AI still carries on his insane job.

Yes, that's why I'm planning to integrate a good AI into the mod; it will be either Ultimate AI, Lusted's one (that from LTC) or Condottiere SOG's one (made for The Long Road, but, as I recall, good anyway).
    Also, if I can figure it out how to do this, I'll use s2bean's Regions&Provinces Mod as for the map. The only problem with that is that's for M2TW 1.2, and I'm not 100% sure what needs to be tweaked in order to make it Kingdoms-compatible; but I suspect something needs to be done with the model_db file, with which I frankly don't have the patience to tamper with right now (it's long, messy, prone to problems etc). Anyway, maybe I'll make a version w/o RPM for Kingoms+Retrofit, and a one w/ RPM for vanilla M2TW.

i like orange in the chocolate

You have a fine taste.

Opifex

-Population is not so severely damaged by squalor, but more seriously by plague.
    How did you do this? What file did you edit?

Also, what files are these affected in:
    -Sacking a settlement now gives more money than extermination.
    -Armies are less likely to revolt.
    -Merchants have been hyped (to earn their keep without having to travel half the world).
    -Agents need to rely more on their skill than on circumstances.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; January 29, 2008 at 02:51 PM.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    How did you do this? What file did you edit?
    Should be settlement_mechanics.xml

Code:
          <factor name="SPF_SQUALOUR">
             <pip_modifier value="0.5"/>
             <pip_min value="0"/>
             <pip_max value="32"/>
          </factor>
          <factor name="SPF_PLAGUE">
             <pip_modifier value="0.75"/>
          </factor>
    Increase or decrease the bolded numbers to increase/decrease effects of those on population growth.

Yes, Social_Infidel is right about the squalor/plague; these are exactly the numbers to change (pip_modifier value under Squalor and Plague).
    The other four are affected by descr_campaign_db.
    -As for money from sack/exterminate, sack_money_modifier and
    exterminate_money_modifier are the floats to adjust.
    -For the chance of armies revolting, see most entries under <revolt>.
    -The two entries under <merchants> govern their income.
    -Assassination, spying and denouncing chances can be adjusted with the entries under <agents>.

Hey, I like your ideas and you seem friendly so I'm going to try it (: is kingdoms required for this mod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast