Thread: The Children of Dido - A Carthaginian AAR

Default The Children of Dido - A Carthaginian AAR

This will be my first attempt at an AAR. I have an excellent GCS campaign going on right now, unfortunately I am already 50 years in and an AAR should start from the beginning.
    Carthage will provide an interesting experience.

I'll play on M/M, because I hate cheating AI in any capacity, even if it would provide a slightly better challenge.

A humble start.

280 BC - Hanno is the faction leader, to be succeeded by his son, Hasdrubal. Taxes are increased significantly to raise revenue, and great building projects begin in every province. Infastructure, such as roads, is paramount, and temples are quickly erected to please the populace.

279 BC - The taxes and building plans work, as money continues to flow into our coffers.
    Unfortunately, a large band of rebels has emerged outside of Gadir. Theophanes leaves the city walls to deal with this threat.

The battle is a success, however the casualties are higher than anticipated. The rebel scrutarii's javelins and Balearic slingers managed to kill a significant number of men. The battle is still a clear victory.

A diplomat negotiates trade rights and map information with Rome. Afterwards, the diplomat travels several miles south of Capua to contact Pyrrhus and suggest a deal: financial assistance will be granted to the Independent Greeks to aid in their war with Rome. Also, Hanno leaves Sicily by boat and prepares to land his 1200-man army in Tuscany to clip Rome's wings early.

This is all I have time for at the moment. Feedback?

BNS's Avatar ...

Default Re: The Children of Dido - A Carthaginian AAR

This can get interesting...
    I suggest
    - no thumbnails
    - battle pictures to go along with your description of the battle
    - hard campaign, the campaign ai does not cheat with this setting. Instead it makes it more aggresive ( bigger armies, better usage of agents )

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

good luck in your aar friend
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Are you sure it only ups the aggressiveness? And there is no negative handicap for me, the player? If this is the case, then I suppose the AI doesn't cheat and I shall rise to the challenge.

Hard battle setting does give a negative handicap to the player's army though, correct?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

correct, I'd stay on medium as AI is more respectful of diplomacy...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Primicerius

I play M/H (or M/VH if I'm in the mood for it). That gives you slightly harder battles while the AI doesn't blatantly refuse to negotiate with you. Hard caampaing also decreases farming revenue.

Good luck with your AAR.
    Last edited by Scutarii; October 23, 2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo

BNS's Avatar ...

Are you sure it only ups the aggressiveness? And there is no negative handicap for me, the player? If this is the case, then I suppose the AI doesn't cheat and I shall rise to the challenge.
    Im 100 % sure,
    only the very hard mode ai cheats, and it does so by getting an extra 10000 denarii a turn... very hard is good for mods where the ai doesnt create many armies, but dont use it for this mod unless you want to face a never ending horde of greeks !

Hard battle setting does give a negative handicap to the player's army though, correct?
    Nope it gives the ai a positive handicap in unit attack and morale.

I dont recommend hard or very hard for the battle ai, its too unbalanced. If you want a battlefield challange limit the amount of cavalry and elite/strong troops in your armies.

While it might sound wimpy, I think I will stay on M/M for the time being. Plus, considering I'm going to try and remain aggressive this game versus sitting back and watching the world pass me by, I don't want too much against me.

And I will post the pictures, not thumbnails. I only stuck them there to improve load times.

One thing. Battles. They are interesting.
    Carthage is one of my favorite factions, so please, continue.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    One thing. Battles. They are interesting.
    Carthage is one of my favorite factions, so please, continue.
    This is one of my favorite bits about AARs, watching how the player deploys his army and uses tactics.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Sorry for the lack of updates, school has been quite busy. I have an update to post when I get the time.

EMV's Avatar Libertus

I shall enjoy reading your next post to see how you and your Greek friends defeat the Romans!