Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Scandza: Total War

Default Re: Scandinavia in the migration period.

@Bardowick:
    EDIT: Correction, a church is of course not present att he start of the mod, as it was pagan at this timepoint, afaik, but i'm not sure about that, if the Romans had a christian impact in the 4th century in this area.

What's with Haithabu? Already considered?
    Saxon where heathens till Karl der Grosse (/Charlemagne) destroyed their cult places and made them christians by sword. Guess was 772.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminsul
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eresburg

@Heiðabýr
    was probably founded around 770. In 808 the Danish king Godfred (Lat. Godofredus) destroyed a competing Slav trade centre namied Reric and it is recorded in the Frankish chronicles that he moved the merchants from there to Hedeby.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeby

Anyway, great to read you found some other places maybe important for later (Viking) times too. I will have to check them for our mod times (starts 840 AC).
    Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by max_minimod; January 11, 2008 at 02:26 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Saxon where heathens till Karl der Grosse (/Charlemagne) destroyed their cult places and made them christians by sword. Guess was 772.
    Yes, well known anyway. Btw., i was born in Hamburg and i visited some of those places were the Franks probable killed a lot Saxons due to their reluctance vs. the christian belief.

But, that doesn't mean automatically, that every very old trade town (well known by the Romans, and surely also used by them - the problem is always that nearly none reliable documents exist for a lot of settlements/regions before a church was founded) was still complete pagan at this time as Karl started the Saxon-Wars. I mention this in regard of the very old town Bardowick. To veryfy it, would need just detailed researchment. I'll have a look if i can find something reliable. But that's academical only (here now my own inspired interest of my neiborhood, as i know the todays Bardowick), as for game-terms, the Bardengau regions should be for this mod certainly a merely pagan location.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Yes, interesting info, I have not read much about Bardowick yet.
    A friend who is interested in Saxon history told me, Minda (Minden)
    was very important.
    Also Erisburgo which might have been the biggest Saxon border fortress against the Franks.

You are true, most places in Saxon lands are only known because they where named in Frankish reports, when Karl did stop for some action there.
    (One can guess he will have chosen the bigger places.)

On Viking period I chosen Bremon, it was mentioned as a place who had more than one Viking raid and was important bishop seat.
    Last edited by max_minimod; January 11, 2008 at 05:58 PM.

Patrician Artifex

I believe you can understand a bit german language: Bardowick's old history, probable a town older than Rome itself
    http://www.bardowick.com/geschichte/fr.htm
    ... but sure is now, for the mod here, it is a Saxon and pagan location.

Vikings raided all along every river sites, they reached a lot central regions far from the coasts with their longboats, i'm sure you know that (not important for this mod here, but for your own ).

Verden, Minden, Celle, Bremen ... and a few more were important at that times, but Bardowick is probable the oldest town of North-Germany, and has been in that area the most important in regard of the geographical-trade position (and warefare as well due to the fact of the main roads between east-west and north-south), until 1189, as Heinrich der Löwe destroyed it completely (with a lot of luck) after former big and sucessful defence of the town. Its function was then finally completely replaced by Lüneburg and Lübeck.

As for Bremen in your mod (max): You know Bremen lays at the Weser river, far more west, a whole other region as the Bardengau right of the Elbe river. The Elbe river should be mentioned as border.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 11, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

SWEET! I love that poem!
    Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and The Life..." (John 14:6) Yeshua HaMashiach
    http://khouse.org/

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

I'm not sure I'd agree that the Smålänningar were Geats at this time, they may well have been Danish. I have not seen any conclusive evidence. Sorry I got the dates wrong, I read them somewhere here and assumed that you were going for the 600s onwards.

Apart from that, it seems that you will get along just fine here without me...
    Last edited by Hengest; January 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Updated the first post:
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

Quote Originally Posted by Hross
    PS -I'd be careful about the Riding Geats because academics are divided about waht that refers to. It may be a misunderstood kenning for Jutes or for continental Goths, if not both in certain cases. If we are talking about Geats in the far south of Scandinavia- there weren't any. Lastly, the Cimbri, Teutoni and Vandali were way before this mod. If there were any traces of them in the 400 era when many of these tribes were in Roman employment they left no trace a tall despite coming from this area, the general view is that these tribes had either moved, died out or developed into the better known larger tribal groups. Widisth is a really good source for faction list in my opinion.
    Well, many of the Rebel factions that I'm going to include are just guesses and very poorly documented. The well known tribes and clans will be included as playable factions.

I have to read a bit more about Widsith!

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post

What's with Haithabu? Already considered?

As for the timeframe, why not letting it end at 790AD, just right before MTW:VI's timeframe starts?
    Haithabu is a later town, it was built about 800AD.

I think there was to many changes from the beginning of the 6th to the 9th century for it to be historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross
    Apart from that, it seems that you will get along just fine here without me...
    It's nice to have you around anyway, for some historical critisism and such

Patrician Artifex

The timeframe is not a fixed one, but it will be around 490-600
    Alright, yes i know Haithabu was built around 800 AD.

I see forward also for the above timeframe, well, this means in principle everything before the real known viking migration phase (well, your chosen map speaks anyway for this concept).

Will you include 2tpy or 4tpy for these 110 years? If you create anyway some show_me scripting, then the 4tpy would be suitable.

Yes, this is not the Viking Age (793-1050), this is the preface, when the foundation of the nations in the Viking Age was established.

I really like the 4 turns pr. year, so that'll be the one.

Hmm, well I know it might be different in the migration period, but during the viking age it seems to me like viking raids and war efforts were undertaken mainly in Spring and Autumn, winter being to bloody awkward, and summer needing all the men for harvest. If so, it might be an idea to put in a two season per year system where you only act in Spring and Autumn.

You are partially right about that, but their activity was in the late spring (so they could sow) and summer until early autum (so they could harvest)... I don't know about his yet, but I still think I'll go for the 4 turns.

Just to keep you posted about the progress.

I've finished the basic map, and the next step will be putting in regions and settlements... You are welcome if you have any suggestions for them.

I may post some screenshots soon:

added a few screenshots of the campaign map.

look in the first post!

Indefinitely Banned
    Mid-sized town about an hour north of Chicago. Tis a'ight.

I wish you continuing success! Nice map!

Hi, Me again I was wondering if you all would like to have my art for the hero Beowulf. I was going to make a Beowulf Mod for BFME2 but I can't complete it so, would you guys want a look?
    Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

yeah, sounds nice!

Here is the Hero Beowulf!!!

Why is he wearing a cross amulet...?

Quote Originally Posted by Dansk viking View Post
    Why is he wearing a cross amulet...?
    Because, I going by the Poem with him being Christian. Even though Historians
    say that they converted in about 1000 A.D. (But I have my own little thing on that.)