Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The KISS Mod

Default The KISS Mod

NOT THAT KIND OF KISS!

KISS stands for KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!

This mod is not some fancy thing with new models and factions. No new map either. My method is basic: keep it simple. I don't want to see 50 new unit models, I want to actually enjoy playing the game!

I found that three things were bothering me about MTW2:
    1. Most of my gameplay was spent commanding peasants and militias
    2. 75% of my kills were chasing down routers.
    3. Cavalry was a super-unit that swept the field

So I set about fixing these problems. The result is KISS.

DOWNLOAD HERE

VIEW THE ONGOING SHOWCASE AAR HERE

What is KISS?
    The best pitch I have for KISS is this: Are you tired of fighting against peasants and militias?

The KISS mod is designed to facilitate epic battles. Battles between huge masses of militia are not going to cut it. I wanted to get right into the action from the beginning of the game. So the unit tree has been radically altered and the buildings that produce units have been changed. Aspects of the game that distract from this goal have been removed. If you like seeing huge clashes between strong infantry armies, PLAY THIS MOD! Because of all the changes I have made to units; battles also last a lot longer than before and there are massive casualties from actual combat! Imagine that!

What has changed about agents?
    Assassins and Merchants have been removed from the game. They dont exist. I found these units to be distracting and clutter the map. The remaining agents (spies, diplomats, princesses, priests, etc) have had their movement points increased by a factor of about five. It doesnt take 30 years for a Scottish diplomat to reach Egypt anymore. If you want a peace treaty, you can zip on over and sign it. If you want to see what is going on somewhere, send your spy halfway across Europe in a single turn.

What has changed about the strategy map?
    Virtually zero rebellions in the hinterlands. Existing rebel settlements are the only real rebel threats. Minor powers have a King's Purse of 2500 florins while Major Powers get 5000 florins. Starting armies are organized logically and mostly garrisoned in existing settlements. Cities AND castles both support free upkeep units and at double their former rates. This makes taking AI settlements much harder; especially when they get down to only a few left. I lost 10,000 men trying to kill Venice as the Byzantines in one of my test games. The mercenary pool has also been changed to reflect the new units. Mercenary pools are larger in both geographic size and the number of units available. And if you have the money, you can build a kick-ass crusader army! You better too. The Muslims dont suck.

What has changed about units?
    This is the biggest component of the mod. Units have been radically overhauled. Peasant and militia units were mostly eliminated (a few crossbow militias and pike/halberds survived the purge). Stupid units like gothic knights, sherwood archers, khan's guard, and other fantasy/dumb type units removed. Units like Hussars which historically dont belong in Polish armies until several hundred years after the game ends are removed (not for Hungary, for Poland). So what is left? A strong basic army! You dont have to waste eons of time to get up to a good basic infantryman who wont tuck tail and run. And lets face it, the AI never gets out of the militia business! No more! Fight against solid enemies from day 1.

Units are assigned attributes based on the below chart:

The armor of the unit serves to place the unit in terms of morale and skill. Better armor = better unit. And vice-versa. Mounting a unit adds a cost. Better weapons add a cost. The result (while seemingly very mechanical) is actually a great progression of costs that represent the true value of a unit.

Every spear unit has a spear bonus of 8, variation is power is modelled in Mount Effect. All costs are upkeep costs, recruit cost is double upkeep, custom battle cost = upkeep. All infantry and light cavalry have 2 HP, heavy cavalry have 3 HP, bodyguards have 4. Units require 1 turn per 500 of cost (ex 1-500 cost = 1 turn to build, 500-999 cost = 2 turns, etc). All units are disciplined except Knights which are impetuous. All unit sizes are 60 except siege & bodyguard (which is 20). Note that on Huge unit sizes this means almost all units are 150 men strong (even cavalry!) so turn on unlimited men on battlefield! Note that even though cavalry has 150 men per unit, the costs are relative. In general, a mounted unit costs 2x as much a comparable infantryman. And you havent lived until you have seen a 150 man napatha unit in action!

Ranged weapons deal a lot more damage in general. Javelins have probably gained the most relatively. Javelin units are ACTUALLY USEFUL NOW! They only throw a few javelins, but they STING! Shortbows fire 35 shots per man, longbows fire 70, crossbows fire 20, javelins fire 5. Arquebuses fire 50 shots, pistols fire 2 shots, handguns fire 25 shots, muskets fire 75 shots. Foot Archer units with non-knife secondaries don’t start skirmishing. Crusader / Jihadi Units get +2 morale, +2 skill. Bodyguards cost 1/3 normal cost (rounded up to nearest unit of 25) due to fewer men. Mercenary Units get +2 attack, +2 skill, +200 cost. Siege weapons have 50 shots each (except Rockets) and 10 weapons per unit (yes, 10 trebuchets per unit, it is beautiful!). You will also notice that cavalry with lances deal only 1 damage with the lance, but gain a HUGE charge bonus.

Furthermore, every faction has a special unit that they favor. They get a 100 florin discount on this unit. So you can field more of that unit for your money. And so can the AI! So if you fight the Byzantines, you will fight a LOT of Byzantine infantry. If you fight the Scots, prepare to meet the Highlanders (you know, instead of spear militia!).

What has changed about buildings?

Castles and Cities: Both produce a strong basic free-upkeep infantry unit to serve as the backbone of the army. This is usually a spearman, but some factions have javelinmen here. The Byzantines come out with an early game advantage in the form of a very strong Byzantine infantry as their basic unit, but most factions just have a decent unit here.

Castles: In addition to the basic unit, castles also support a light cavalry unit.

Castle Barracks: Supports a 2nd strong basic infantry. Usually this is a sword unit because the primary is usually a spearman, but there are many exceptions.

Castle Bowyer: Supports either a strong foot archer or weak horse archer unit depending on faction.

Castle Armorer: Supports heavy infantry and cavalry units

Castle Stables: Supports a strong heavy cavalry unit.

City Barracks: Supports a free upkeep foot archer unit.

Siege Buildings: There are no more ballista units or buildings to produce them (historically accurate). Start off with catapults once you reach town size!

Gunpowder Buildings: Many units have been cut out, but those that remain will serve you well.

Other Buildings: Other units are recruited from many buildings you might not expect. Yeomen Archers are supplied by building more farms in England. Denmark can recruit many Norse units in castle ports (think Longboats!). Muslim religious buildings produce some fanatical units. The Sultan's race track supports cavalry for muslims. And so on. Check your faction building tree for details!

Word of Warning: If you do play with Huge unit sizes, there is a slight problem controlling units inside cities/castles. Sometimes the pathfinding AI just goes retarded on you. I am not saying dont play with Huge unit sizes because I play with them. Just dont be surprised when your 2000 men dont fit through the alleyway too good.

Version Note: This mod may or may not be compatible with Kingdoms. I dont know because I dont have it!
    Last edited by Ryoken; December 02, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The KISS Mod

A very interesting mod Ryoken, considering you made this by yourself

I'll give this a try.

BTW, will you implement the use of new units in future versions? That would be nice as well.

If I see a need to add a unit, I will do so. However reducing the number of units is a very effective trick. The AI goes for certain units it likes and builds huge numbers of them. These are then merged after battles to create strong experienced regiments.

Also, since I am basing almost all unit stats save the special unit discount on equipment, having 2 units with the same equipment is redundant. For example, Gendarmes and Lancers are basically the same thing. They have the same equipment. That is why I removed Gendarmes and kept Lancers (they look better). Now if I bring some kind of "these units are better trained" into my unit model, maybe I could use Gendarmes.

But then that brings in a lot of subjectivity and annoyance. Maybe you claim this unit should have higher morale. What are we going to base that on? Nationalistic affinity of a Dane arguing for more fierce viking units? Or English guy arguing for better damage for English longbowmen because they were "better". I dont want to get in a pissing match with anyone. So my solution is that if you wear this armor, it costs this much and you have these values. This weapon deals X damage, regardless of who wields it.

Now you may argue that is not fair. Some units ARE better trained than others. And you are right. But this is a game and I am not trying to reproduce the exact historical reality. I am trying to be fair and make a good game that is balanced. I found that the vanilla game has the units to support this restructuring, so I did it just by cutting out the chaff.

The only national differences that exist are what units are available. Scotland doesnt have lots of heavier troops or bowmen while the eastern european footman cant stand up to his western counterparts in terms of armor after the early period. That is historical and it paints with a broad brush. But a Berdiche Axeman deals the same damage as a Highlander. But the Berdiche is wearing armor. The Berdiche wins..... as it should be.

Now I am rambling because it is midnight and I need to go to sleep. Let me know how the mod plays for you, Beren.

mate - i really love this idea, and i really want to play it.

but i can't get it running at all - now i have kingdoms installed, but that so far hasn't affected any medieval 2 default mods at ALL, as the kingdoms expansions have their own seperate game executable file and data folder.

i run, it gets through the video's, and crashed upon trying to load.

this is what the system log file said

"23:37:40.703 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:37:40.703 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:37:40.703 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:37:41.437 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    23:37:41.453 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: England, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: England, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: France, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: France, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Holy Roman Empire, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Holy Roman Empire, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Spain, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Spain, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Venice, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Venice, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Sicily, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Sicily, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Milan, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Milan, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Scotland, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Scotland, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Byzantine Empire, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Byzantine Empire, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Russia, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Russia, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Moors, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Moors, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Turks, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Turks, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Egypt, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Egypt, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Denmark, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Denmark, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Portugal, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Portugal, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Poland, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Poland, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Hungary, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Hungary, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Papal States, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Papal States, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Mongols, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Mongols, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Timurids, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Timurids, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Normans, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Normans, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Saxons, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Saxons, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Rebels, fortress -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.312 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Rebels, citadel -> city, castle_siege[1](c_siege_works) -> siege[2]((null))
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/civilians/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/civilians/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/rogues/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/rogues/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.359 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/priests/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/priests/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/mesoamerican/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/civilians/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.375 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/civilians/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/rogues/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/rogues/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/merchants/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/priests/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/priests/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/eastern_european/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/princesses/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.390 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/heretics/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.406 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.406 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/witches/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.406 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.406 [data.missing] [warning] Cannot find the portrait path: data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/inquisitors/000.tga, using the default culture path if it exists
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10671, column 23 :
    we should only have trait(Berserker) additional affects for triggers(Battle_Losing_Berserker)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10789, column 28 :
    we should only have trait(BattleChivalry) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Not_fighting)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10790, column 25 :
    we should only have trait(BattleDread) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Not_fighting)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10800, column 28 :
    we should only have trait(BattleChivalry) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10801, column 25 :
    we should only have trait(BattleDread) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10813, column 28 :
    we should only have trait(BattleChivalry) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing2)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10814, column 25 :
    we should only have trait(BattleDread) additional affects for triggers(battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing2)
    23:37:42.421 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 10855, column 25 :
    we should only have trait(BattleDread) additional affects for triggers(battle3Dread_Let_Them_Go)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 16753, column 27 :
    we should only have trait(GoodDenouncer) additional affects for triggers(hereticinit1_denouncerclear)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 16761, column 26 :
    we should only have trait(BadDenouncer) additional affects for triggers(hereticinit1_denouncerclear_bad)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 16769, column 25 :
    we should only have trait(StrongFaith) additional affects for triggers(hereticinit1_faithclear)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 16777, column 22 :
    we should only have trait(Purifier) additional affects for triggers(hereticinit1_purifierclear)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17702, column 29 :
    we should only have trait(CrusaderHistory) additional affects for triggers(crusades_6)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17703, column 30 :
    we should only have trait(StrategyChivalry) additional affects for triggers(crusades_6)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17712, column 29 :
    we should only have trait(CrusaderHistory) additional affects for triggers(crusades_7)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17755, column 26 :
    we should only have trait(JihadHistory) additional affects for triggers(jihads_7)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17756, column 30 :
    we should only have trait(StrategyChivalry) additional affects for triggers(jihads_7)
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [warning] Trigger parsing warning in data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 17765, column 26 :
    we should only have trait(JihadHistory) additional affects for triggers(jihads_8)
    23:37:42.437 [data.missing] [warning] Failed to find ancillary image data/ui/ancillaries/scribe_ancillary.tga
    23:37:42.437 [data.missing] [warning] Failed to find ancillary image data/ui/ancillaries/security_religious.tga
    23:37:42.437 [data.missing] [warning] Failed to find ancillary image data/ui/ancillaries/security_religious.tga
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 2886, column 43
    Building level name explorers_guild not found as a level in building database
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 3225, column 43
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 4951, column 45
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 5073, column 40
    23:37:42.437 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 5163, column 40
    23:37:50.375 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    23:37:50.390 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds is missing
    23:37:50.765 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

lots of references to missing UI files, what's up with that?

The problem is definitely clear to me. The missing UI stuff is always in the log file.

I removed the ballista level of the build tree. Somehow it is trying to pull that information and not finding it. Hence the crash. You can see the multiple references to it in the log file.

When I get home tonight, I will make a new buildings.txt file for you with the ballista building level in it and you can just copy it into the directory. That should make it work.

I dont want you to be unable to play because of that.

Stupid Kingdoms! Why wont you work on my computer.... arrgh!

THIS IS NOT A MOD UPDATE, DONT DOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THIS TO WORK WITH KINGDOMS

This should be a quick fix for you, Eddy

Just copy this into your KISS/data folder

thanks mate! really appreciate it.

butttt.... i've discovered my problem, and it was my stupidity.

i have never made a 'mod folder', essentially, i always just made little changes and drop them into the data folder and then run a file_first batch file to run medieval2.exe

so i just dumped all your stuff into the data folder, and it didn't like that, apparantly.

if i retain your 'kiss' folder and edit the batch you file gave to point to my dir it works fine.

i have to say - awesome work. i really love the concept of this mod.

i'm going to go and use your mod as a framework for what i personally want out of my vanilla campaign, as well as intergrate xerxys ai mod for better campaign ai and diplomacy etc, and add alot of cool units back in and mess around with the individual factions strengths/weaknesses/allowances etc... purely for myself.

but if im happy with what i've done ill pm you telling you how it all works.

keep up the good work brother - it's interesting mods like this that stand out and bring something fresh into med2.

Thanks for the praise, bro!

er quick question.....i need readmes, since there isn't one please tell me how to install as i want to try this out! sorry for noob question.

also in your aar, did your army in the first battle with 2000+ units with one general have a mod for increaing number of troops per unit or is that in this mod?

Installation Notes:

1. Download file

2. Unzip to your MTW2 directory

3. Run KISS.bat in your MTW2 directory

That should be enough to get you going, Chief.

As far as unit sizes go, ALL UNITS except siege weapons and bodyguards have 150 soldiers on Huge Unit Sizes. On normal unit sizes, they have 75 soldiers. Some infantry units were already at this size, but most were not. And none of the cavalry was this large before.

Regretably, there is no way to make them larger as the game will crash if you go higher than this. If anyone can prove that last sentence wrong, please do. But I am 99% sure that is the limit.

Remind me to +rep you when I get my 50 posts.

I'm not a fan of all the changes you made, but I simply fall in love with the fact that my men don't break at the first sign of a stiff breeze anymore. Good work.
    "Never interrupt your opponent while he is making a mistake" ~Napoleon
    Bored of L4D? Join us!

I praise you and this mod, you, who understands that epic is the language of a man's soul.

Thanks! I am seeing the word about this mod spreading lately. It is a good thing.

Yargh! I cannot make it work, and most likely because it's incompatible with Kingdoms/1.3.

Sorry. Blame CA. I cant get the game to run in v1.2 nor get 1.3 to install. I had to take Kingdoms back to the store.

One would think that anyone who can run Oblivion on max settings with no lag ever would be able to play Kingdoms. But sadly... no.

Mod link is dead. Damn FileFront.

I will be rehosting once I finish the new version. I dont feel like wasting an hour uploading if I am going to upgrade to a new version soon.

Icon9 Re: The KISS Mod

When are you planning to rehost.
    I missed the first version.BTW You are my God Ryoken.i am really pissed of waiting plase make it as fast as you can. I soon have my Half-Yearly Examination.
    Last edited by RYOKEN IS GREAT; December 02, 2007 at 07:45 AM.

OR put is an attachment in an e-mail. Send it to RohitGamer@yahoo.co.in

Send it to my e-mail .Somehow i cannot manage to download any file from the filefront

I will upload the file again today and make it available for download. I cannot e-mail it to you as it is 95mb.

I swear I will do it today. In honor of your glorious name choice. It takes about an hour to upload, but I have company coming over so I can upload while I am talking to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast