Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A U.S. State Can Declare War Itself You Know...

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

Default A U.S. State Can Declare War Itself You Know...

No state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty of tonnage, keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power, or engage in war, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay.
    -Article I Section X of the U.S. Constitution
    With the implication being that they can declare war if somebody invades them. Somebody like, oh I don't know... Mexico? As in if the state government decided that the ridiculous levels of illegal immigration constitutes an invasion, would they not have the power to declare war on Mexico?

All the evidence is there. Mexican nationals are illegally crossing the border in massive numbers and occupying American territory, and the Mexican government is actively aiding and abetting these trespassers. This means the Mexican government is more or less responsible for an invasion of the U.S. As far as I can tell, then, any state would be perfectly within its rights to call out Mexico.

I know it won't happen and I certainly don't wish for it to happen, but the Constitution is pretty clear. If in the unlikely event **** hits the fan and something like this happens, do you think a state could get away with this legally? What would the federal government's reaction be? Would you support such action or would you think the state in question has lost its marbles? How would Mexico react?

Default Re: A U.S. State Can Declare War Itself You Know...

Don't let Texas know about this.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

With the implication being that they can declare war if somebody invades them.
    So again theres another reason the south had the right to fight.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

So again theres another reason the south had the right to fight.
    Against who? States havn't declared war in years if ever.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

States cannot declare war. This has been done to death.

Civitate

Does each state have their own army as well?
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Point is, even though I'm not American, I would say that whether or not a state had the right to declare war is pointless. If Texas or anywhere else were to be invaded, I'd put my money on the whole of the USA declaring war. So, basically, you could say all you want how a single state does or doesn't have the right to declare war - soon after an invasion, the whole of the USA would be at it, not just a single state. In fact, such a law would be pointless...an invasion would never revolve around a single state.

Just the same in England...there'd be no point to allowing individual counties to declare wars. So, the West Midlands doesn't need any right to declare a war if invaded, because all of the UK, not just England, would respond anyway.

If I'm not being clear, which I suspect is the case because I ramble on...an entire nation would be involved in any declaration of war. Not just the invaded state/county/whatever. Basically, it's an act of war against the very people of the nation, not just an area of the nation. I mean, it isn't like you'd abandon a state being invaded so it had to carry out it's own war effort. Your whole nation would rally to the war. So, no need to allow individual states, etc, to declare war, because if they were invaded, there'd be hell to pay in the first place. They'd never stand alone. Plus I doubt central government would appreciate individual states taking the issue of starting wars into their own hands. There's a reason why a state is part of a country, and not entirely a country unto itself. If individual states could declare war without being invaded, it might cause a lot of trouble for the rest of a country. I mean, say the Texans didn't like Mexico...they could simply declare a war and fubar everything for the USA - would that be a logical thing to allow? I know it gets complex, but in the end, a war should only be declared by central government, to stop abuse of power (although I suppose I'm entertaining the far-fetched idea that individual states will go rogue and start wars against the will of the nation, especially in the USA, and it's very unlikely...no one is that stupid) - and also, an individual state being invaded would never stand alone anyway (if it did, independence if they survived would be the way to go. A nation wouldn't abandon one of it's provinces like that...or at least, I'd hope not...).
    Last edited by Kaidonni; October 16, 2007 at 06:13 AM.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Yes, actually they do, and their own Air Force.

Texas for example has an Infantry Division and two Fighter Wings along with some airlift units.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

If Texas or anywhere else were to be invaded, I'd put my money on the whole of the USA declaring war.
    They are being invaded right now and nobody is lifting a finger.

Are the invaders an actual army of soldiers, with tanks, weapons, aircraft, a plan of action? How many American troops have engaged them in combat in Texas? How many cities laid to waste there?

I will remind you that the USA was built on immigration. Uncontrolled immigration is not a good idea, but immigration in itself is not the problem. It's who is let in. And who decides who is let in. To deny any immigration at all...well, can the Native Americans have all their land back? Thought not.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaidonni View Post
    Are the invaders an actual army of soldiers, with tanks, weapons, aircraft, a plan of action? How many American troops have engaged them in combat in Texas? How many cities laid to waste there?

I will remind you that the USA was built on immigration. Uncontrolled immigration is not a good idea, but immigration in itself is not the problem. It's who is let in. And who decides who is let in. To deny any immigration at all...well, can the Native Americans have all their land back? Thought not.
    No one here is against immigration.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by El Brujo View Post
    They are being invaded right now and nobody is lifting a finger.
    The invaders are trying out the new sought after military gear of choice for invaders: the invisible cloak, because no one can see them ... or even hear them.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    No one here is against immigration.
    I assumed that this 'invasion' of Texas would be about immigration. Sorry to anyone if I mis-interpreted.

Yuiis's Avatar Senator

This is just another sign of how open and decentralised the US is/was in its origin. Some of us europeans envy this fact in some way...

(...) and that unfortunate People were afterwards forced to undergo the utmost Miseries of a Siege, in their Capital City of Barcelona; during which, great Multitudes of them perished by Famine and the Sword, many of them have since been executed; and great Numbers of the Nobility of Catalonia, who, for their Constancy and Bravery in Defence of their Liberties, and for their Services in Conjunction with Her Majesty and Her Allies, had, in all Honour, Justice, and Conscience, the highest Claim to Her Majesty's Protection, are now dispersed in Dungeons throughout the Spanish Dominions.
    -Journal of the House of Lords: volume 20: 1714-1717, pp. 136-144.

King Edward III's Avatar Primicerius

Does it really matter? O.o
    According to the Theory of War, which teaches that the best way to avoid the inconvenience of war is to pursue it away from your own country, it is more sensible for us to fight our notorious enemy in his own realm, with the joint power of our allies, than it is to wait for him at our own doors.

- King Edward III, 1339

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Well technically the National Guard is under command of each state's governor, so yes.

By the way, Mexico has already invaded, millions of their troops are already here, waiting for the signal to attack...

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by El Brujo View Post
    With the implication being that they can declare war if somebody invades them. Somebody like, oh I don't know... Mexico? As in if the state government decided that the ridiculous levels of illegal immigration constitutes an invasion, would they not have the power to declare war on Mexico?

All the evidence is there. Mexican nationals are illegally crossing the border in massive numbers and occupying American territory, and the Mexican government is actively aiding and abetting these trespassers. This means the Mexican government is more or less responsible for an invasion of the U.S. As far as I can tell, then, any state would be perfectly within its rights to call out Mexico.

I know it won't happen and I certainly don't wish for it to happen, but the Constitution is pretty clear. If in the unlikely event **** hits the fan and something like this happens, do you think a state could get away with this legally? What would the federal government's reaction be? Would you support such action or would you think the state in question has lost its marbles? How would Mexico react?
    Well, I don't really think that Texas, California etc could declare war since it's not really a military invasion (which is what I think the constitution is getting at)
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Well, I don't really think that Texas, California etc could declare war since it's not really a military invasion (which is what I think the constitution is getting at)
    But they could if it were a military invasion which is the point.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Is California the strongest state?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Is California the strongest state?

Economically? Yes. California would be a Top 7 national economy if it were its own country.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast