Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: = Trivium independant Map Editor (TiME) Project =

@Monkwarrior
    Wow, the resized Spain looks great!

Yes, the dimensions of the file make it so that borders never fit correctly in the editor.
    Because of the colors: do you mean something like this? - Screenie

Btw, how does the new selection mark look like? I'm currently working on a smooth circle brush which creates nice proportional hills/mountains.

@{AIrBoRnE}
    Great! What caused the problem?

@Jopel
    I'm happy that I could help

Greetings
    MrHide

IHateFirecrackers

Nice editor according to the pictures mr. hide, but I have a problem:

Which file am I going to open in the editor??
    No matter which file I try i'm getting overloaded with pop-ups, saying something about it could'nt find some files!

Please help me. I'm desperate!

1) The first startup there comes a directory browser, select your Rome directory. If you get errors that "export_descr_buildings.txt" or "descr_rebel_factions.txt" is not found, the path is wrong. (This worked as I see)

2) Click open and select a campaign. Here you can't select your Rome directory, because there are no campaign files.
    Also do not select the world\maps\base directory, there are only half of the campaign files needed because it's Rome's internal Imperial Campaign. You have to copy the files from base and campaign\imperial_campaign in one (new) directory. Put this directory in the campaign folder and open this folder with the editor. In Rome you can play the campaign under "provincial campaign".

If you get any errors while loading, it is likely that the editor doesn't work right. (Some data is not loaded, when the editor tries to access it). This may cause the engine.dll error.

I got this from one of Mr Hides earlier posts

Originally posted by MrHide@Dec 28 2004, 09:14 AM
    @Monkwarrior
    Wow, the resized Spain looks great!

Yes, the dimensions of the file make it so that borders never fit correctly in the editor.
    Because of the colors: do you mean something like this? - Screenie

Btw, how does the new selection mark look like? I'm currently working on a smooth circle brush which creates nice proportional hills/mountains.
    Thanks. :smile
    About the color, yes. That was what I meant. In this way the sea and the coast at the sea level will be clearly distinguished.
    About selection mark: do you mean the brush tool?
    This is an example of the circle brush:

I didn't observe any difference before and after resizing.

Greetings.

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

Ok I feel like I am so close to done. Ok here is my progress.

This is my ROME_DIR="C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\New-Edit" (New-Edit is my Folder which contains the Base and Imperial Campaign files).

So i run Map Editor.exe then I open New-Edit (it loads a lot of files) and it says missing (a lot) of lines from export_decr_building.txt

So what can I do to fix this?

Erik

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

alman9898's Avatar Centenarius

ROME_DIR should equal C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

and then you select New-Edit

Thanks Alman! Now it will load my map!

But I have another problem. Every time I click my Campaign under provincial campaigns it just returns back to the menu. I have deleted map.rwm and then set my settings.ini to auto delete map.rwm. So can someone help me?

Erik

Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.

Did you check to see if the file under data/text is called New-Edit_regions_and_settlement_names.txt?

Under the data text in my New-Edit folder? Just to clarify and if so no it isn't. It is called descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

What should it be called?

But why doesnt the campaign load regardless.

Erik

Member of S.I.N.

Now I've really screwed things up! I try to load my New-Edit under Provincial campaign and it crashes. Then I try to load RTR and it crashes! Mr.Hide you have to help me out here!

Oh but you editor can read RTR files so well done!

Cheers,
    Erik

Member of S.I.N.

Originally posted by ErikinWest@Dec 28 2004, 10:50 PM
    Under the data text in my New-Edit folder? Just to clarify and if so no it isn't. It is called descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt

What should it be called?

But why doesnt the campaign load regardless.

Erik
    Not the lookup file. rename the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt to New-Edit_yaadadfa

Makesure that this file is the one you edited: that is, all applied changes are made. Then put it into your data/text folder

now, if you're campaign is crashing, delete your New-Edit folder or move it out of the RTW directory and try the game again.

ALSO: right-click the RomeTW.exe icon (one on your desktop), select properties, and add -show_err in the Target field after the filepath and report back what error message you got.

Ouch.. you got a problem there :cry

Hmm.. when both the RTR campaign and your campaign don't load I can think of this problem:
    Did you copy for your campaign from the imperial campaign or from RTR. If it's from RTR did you change the campaign name in the "descr_strat.txt" file? This campaign name determines which "{campaign}_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" in the ROME_DIR\data\text folder is loaded. It could now be, that you made changes of settlements/regions in your new campaign, but there are some format errors or others. So your campaign won't load, and the RTR doesn't load because some settlement names are different.

Rename your current "Rome_Total_Realism_v4.0_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" in the text folder to "New_Edit_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" and copy in the folder the original RTR file, then change the campaign name in your New-Edit "descr_strat.txt" file to New_Edit.

To see the error by Rome, do what alman9898 said. You get the error when exiting Rome.

Greetings
    MrHide

Well I did and tried what you guys said but it didn't seem to show me my error. Also RTR doesn't still work!

Anything else I can do. (I deleted New-Edit)

Erik

Member of S.I.N.

Heya Mr. Hide

As you may/may not know, we at the TGP (Globus Project) have adopted your excellent program to help us in our goals. You might have answered a similar problem to this before, but I can't be bothered reading through 193 replies to see if you have. Sorry!

Anyway - the problem I'm getting is that when I try to play/test my map edits (only province changes, and provinces added only with your program and not manually) it crashes back to the campaign selection screen. I've placed the CMEDit program in the base folder of RTW, and I don't think I've placed any cities or ports on terrain that might cause it to crash (ie rivers, mountains). Basically I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

I also noticed that your program doesn't add new provinces in the mercenary.txt file or the settlement_and_region_names.txt file in the data/text folder, so I added them in manually (without error, as far as I know). Surely this couldn't be the problem?

Anyway, Mr Hide, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's very disheartening! If there's any details I've omitted that you'd need to know in order to help me, just ask.

Many thanks.

Praetorian Sejanus

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal, <u>Satires</u>.

Hi Praetorian Sejanus&#33;

Sorry for the late answer, I didn&#39;t get to it yesterday.
    Because of that problem: It&#39;s always difficult to say what the error is when you don&#39;t see it actually on your PC
    I would be faster in locating the problem if I had your campaign to test. It would also help me to remove such bugs the editor may have. Could you send the campaign to me?
    As you all from the project have to cope with the errors of the editor and as a return () I could give you the latest version of the editor. (Check your PMs)

Normally the settlement_and_region_names.txt should be modified by the editor. The mercenary.txt file I haven&#39;t included yet.

@ErikinWest
    You added -show_err in the target field of the shortcut? Normally when you start the game with it, choose the campaign, try it to start, then exit from the program it shows the error. But do not forget to delete the rwm file before. It&#39;s hard to say what&#39;s wrong without the error message.

Hope I could help.
    Greetings
    MrHide

The program won&#39;t even work for me, it says select a campaign directory and every time I do, it just pops up a ton of error messages. I feel like a total idiot, but what the heck am I doing wrong?

We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
    "The politics of the Karl Rove era were designed to distract and divide the very people who would ordinarily be rebelling against the deterioration of their way of life. Working Americans have been repeatedly seduced at the polls by emotional issues such as the predictable mantra of “God, guns, gays, abortion, and the flag” while their way if life shifted ineluctably beneath their feet." - Senator Jim Webb

You need to create a new folder say for example "New campaign" and then copy all the files from the base and Imperial files into that folder. Then open that folder up with the map editor and it should work fine.

Just remember to remove the .rmw before you load up RTW, otherwise it will just crash to desktop. Your new map should be under "provincial campaign" now

Update:
    I&#39;m making good progress in adding new features. The last days I worked on the engine to make it more beautiful. I think I made it (See pics)
    Terrain has now a much more smoother look and you can create smooth hills with the brush. I added also the map features overlay with rivers. The river course is not straight but is dynamically created each startup. They never look the same.
    I also added a faction browser which shows every bit of info the descr_strat.txt file contains (factions, regions, characters, relatives, etc)

I&#39;m currently working on editing the characters. You can see some of them already on the images.

New terrain
    View of the overlays
    The faction browser

Greetings
    MrHide

wonderful *smokin* ,

Even if I could not finish my last campaigne without your editor, I will use it for my next map.