Thread: crash to desktop when starting campaign

Default crash to desktop when starting campaign

hey i have tried to find this in the forum, but i clean installed RTW gold (already patched to 1.5) and i installed in the RTW directory (not data directory) but when i go to play a campaign it crashes, no matter the faction. i can play custom battles but no campaign. any thoughts?

Joe

Default Re: crash to desktop when starting campaign

Did you let the batch file (black window thingy) run all the way through? It takes a good while.

yes, i even ran it a second time all the way through and still no campaign.

i even have -show_err and no error screen pops up, is there anyway to have a log file with errors to see whats going on?

i reinstalled RS 1.10b and still not working.

I suspect that it is due to the batch file not running fully. You need to allow it to run until it closes itself.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

The exact same is happening to me ! Just installed the 1.01b full installation then the 1.5 patch. Can play custom battles aswell but crashes when i try and start a imperial campaign. I also have the gold addition. Help please!

Tiro

I have the gold edition of R:TW as well and I am playing a RS 1.5 campaign right now.

I'll try it again. Could it be because i've got vista?

Miles

I seem to have the same prob.

Ruhe in Frieden, Calvin.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I'll do some checking and see if I can figure out what's wrong....

Edit: I just did another test install. RTW directory patched properly to Patch v1.5.
    Installed RS1.10b into RTW directory, allowing batch file to run and finish. Started game, and worked fine.
    Installed RS1.5 Upgrade into RTW directory. Started game and worked fine.

Somewhere along the way, guys, you're not allowing the batch file to finish, or you installed one or both parts of the mod in the wrong place.
    OR, something about your PC, whether it's Windows 2000, Vista or whatever prevented a proper install.

Now, there is a scenario where, in Windows2000 and Windows98...and maybe Vista, where the batch file in the Main Installer tries to run and fails.
    But it breaks RTW because the first thing the batch file does is move 'patch_0.pak' from the ~~\data\packs folder into ~~\data\pak\patch0\ where
    it tries to extract the files from it. If it fails at that point, or you stop it, it LEAVES 'patch_0.pak' in that folder.......and RTW cannot run without it.

So you could try....especially if you run 2000\98\Vista......going into ~~\data\pak\patch0 folder in the RTW folder where you installed RS and see if 'patch_0.pak'
    is in there. If it is, move it back into ~~\data\packs folder. Then try and run the game again.
    Last edited by dvk901; December 25, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks, I'll try that in the morning if it dont work ill just wait for the full installer to come out