Thread: Playing the Kingdoms version

Default Playing the Kingdoms version

Having fun with this mod - however, there are IMO a few issues with it:

1) Money - I'm either broke and scrabbling for mission rewards and Papal gifts, or I'm rolling in it. After grabbing all of France as the French and building up my trade buildings, I was making 30000 profit a turn with 12 unit stacks in all cities and 3-4 full stack armies in 1235. I think this is due to the increase in trade bonuses in export_descr_buildings - eg, roads get a trade_base_level_bonus as well as the trade bonus included in road_bonus, markets get trade_level_bonus and trade_base_income_bonus and the explorer and theologians guilds get trade bonuses.

2) The era system makes some units obsolete as soon as they're available - no point going for Ottoman infantry when they're unlocked by the same event and have the same building level as Janissary Archers.

3) You can build Alchemists before gunpowder is invented

4) Not sure if it's just the games I've played, but by 1200 the map seems to be down to 7 or so large empires who've wiped out their neighbours. A faction respawn or reinforcement script might help here.

5) None of the new sword units count for Swordsmith guild reputation.

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default Re: Playing the Kingdoms version

Quote Originally Posted by HuffingJenkem View Post
    Having fun with this mod - however, there are IMO a few issues with it:

1) Money - I'm either broke and scrabbling for mission rewards and Papal gifts, or I'm rolling in it. After grabbing all of France as the French and building up my trade buildings, I was making 30000 profit a turn with 12 unit stacks in all cities and 3-4 full stack armies in 1235. I think this is due to the increase in trade bonuses in export_descr_buildings - eg, roads get a trade_base_level_bonus as well as the trade bonus included in road_bonus, markets get trade_level_bonus and trade_base_income_bonus and the explorer and theologians guilds get trade bonuses.
    Definitely something I need to look into. I'd actually like to make it harder to run around with full stacks. Money and elite armies should be harder to come by.

2) The era system makes some units obsolete as soon as they're available - no point going for Ottoman infantry when they're unlocked by the same event and have the same building level as Janissary Archers.

I'm revamping the AOR and Regular Recruitment system for the next version. A lot of units will be shifted around and some made available from difference buildings. I think it'll make more sense.

3) You can build Alchemists before gunpowder is invented
    Thanks for pointing this one out!

4) Not sure if it's just the games I've played, but by 1200 the map seems to be down to 7 or so large empires who've wiped out their neighbours. A faction respawn or reinforcement script might help here.
    Not a bad idea. I really want it to be total war with a lot of factions hanging around!

5) None of the new sword units count for Swordsmith guild reputation.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do about this!

Thanks for taking the time to try my mod! And thanks for the feedback!

Cheers, mate!

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Does the AOR system allow the recruitment of artillery pieces also?
    e.g. if playing as England I control say Toledo, will I be able to recruit Basilik Canons. and If playing as Spain and I control London, can I recruit their Mortars?

Maybe Controlling a Factions Starting Province, or a selected Province would give access to these units and maybe their Elite units as well.
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Quote Originally Posted by ST0MPA View Post
    Does the AOR system allow the recruitment of artillery pieces also?
    e.g. if playing as England I control say Toledo, will I be able to recruit Basilik Canons. and If playing as Spain and I control London, can I recruit their Mortars?

Maybe Controlling a Factions Starting Province, or a selected Province would give access to these units and maybe their Elite units as well.
    You know, I never gave one thought to artillery before! I quite honestly don't play the game near enough to even realize there are differences! One thought, I did have re: artillery would be to make more merc units recruitable wherever.

Don't think I'll ever add elite units to the AOR recruitment system, e.g. Janissaries for Byzantines, as then all factions would seem a little less special! And really, would Janissaries fight for the Byzantines?

Maybe if their faction was destroyed they would
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Quote Originally Posted by ST0MPA View Post
    Maybe if their faction was destroyed they would
    They way I've always kinda thought of it, would be, if Russia conquered the U.S., would Russia field a Green Berets unit or something like that? Most likely those soldiers would be assimilated into existing Russian units, no?

Cheer-io!

Point taken

Quote Originally Posted by Socal_infidel View Post
    You know, I never gave one thought to artillery before! I quite honestly don't play the game near enough to even realize there are differences! One thought, I did have re: artillery would be to make more merc units recruitable wherever.

Don't think I'll ever add elite units to the AOR recruitment system, e.g. Janissaries for Byzantines, as then all factions would seem a little less special! And really, would Janissaries fight for the Byzantines?
    Technically though, wouldn't it be more accurate to have Janissaries as AOR troops for the Turks, given the method of recruiting them?

Incidentally, any plans to take advantage of the Yes/No event functionality added by Kingdoms?

I ve played about 6 factions now to about 1200 or so and although the mod is very good there are some problems each time with faction balance.
    Every time Scotland easily takes the whole of the British Isles...England is about to lose its last province in france in my present game.
    Portugal is wiped out very early..not this time as I m playing them.
    HRE expands at a very fast rate, France doesn t last much after 1150.Could the HRE provinces rebel more easily ? Poland never really has much chance and Denmark doesn t expand much.
    Egypt is much like HRE in the east, crusader armies attack Cairo but don t last long there.Turks usually do well but nearly wiped out this time by egypt.
    Is there some way to tone down the aggression of Scotland, HRE and Egypt ?

try changing their starting funds in descr_stat and while your there adjust the kings purse also

Quote Originally Posted by HuffingJenkem View Post
    Technically though, wouldn't it be more accurate to have Janissaries as AOR troops for the Turks, given the method of recruiting them?

Incidentally, any plans to take advantage of the Yes/No event functionality added by Kingdoms?
    Good point. Although, it might be a tad too restrictive for the Rum Turks/Ottomans to only be able to recruit their Janissaries in the Balkan areas.

And yes, I'd like to take full advantage of the new Kingdoms features. But that probably won't be until the release after next. For now, I want to get the new factions in the game and then work on scripting, etc.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    I ve played about 6 factions now to about 1200 or so and although the mod is very good there are some problems each time with faction balance.
    Every time Scotland easily takes the whole of the British Isles...England is about to lose its last province in france in my present game.
    Portugal is wiped out very early..not this time as I m playing them.
    HRE expands at a very fast rate, France doesn t last much after 1150.Could the HRE provinces rebel more easily ? Poland never really has much chance and Denmark doesn t expand much.
    Egypt is much like HRE in the east, crusader armies attack Cairo but don t last long there.Turks usually do well but nearly wiped out this time by egypt.
    Is there some way to tone down the aggression of Scotland, HRE and Egypt ?
    Scotland and HRE I was aware of. Didn't know Egypt was so strong. Everytime I ran autoruns, they stay confined more or less in the immediate vicinity of Egypt. I'll look into this, though.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

If the Yes/No event functions from Kingdoms was added, would that mean that if the Turks conquer certain specific regions they could change into a Ottoman faction? Or just change name to something else?

Now that would be great.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

@Socal
    Everytime I ran autoruns, they stay confined more or less in the immediate vicinity of Egypt. I'll look into this, though.
    How do you get the game to auto run? Still remember the RTW way, but that does not work with M2TW. So how?

if you dont mind me answering socal and gigantus (saves you waiting)

you have to select hotseat, in multiplayer pick a faction start the game, drop the console down and if for example you chose england type control england, and you no longer control england, type that again to regain control of england. i think you might have to also type control mongols, or timurids if it dosent work. dont forget to add the comma after the faction name.

Blog Entries

I will try that, I remember vaguely that the toggle_fow cheat doesn't work then though.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    I will try that, I remember vaguely that the toggle_fow cheat doesn't work then though.
    It should. I use it to test my mod before release.

Blog Entries

I must have been thinking about the hotseat mode with the M2TW 1.2 version. Had my problems there. But now you don't even have to fiddle with the cfg file anymore! Just a little pain that you cannot change between 'AI follow' and not. Or is it in the in-game options? Whatever, just good to see it works.

I started a game as England and then let the AI play. toggle_fow works ok.
    England has knocked Scotland out already by 1097. I ll let the game run itself all night just to see who wins. Sad eh ?

Are there any other factions that constantly seem to want to rebel against the neighboring power, like:

Scotland to England
    Ireland to England
    Portugal to Castilla & Leon
    Cataluņa (Barcelona) to Castilla & Leon
    Pamplona to Castilla & Leon
    Northern Italy to HRE
    Northern Italy to France
    Low Countries/Dutch Provinces to Everyone

So on and so forth? Maybe you can (if you find the time and love) make a script so that they tend to rebel at least once a game, or 20 years after they've been conquered a small revolution, 50 years a really big one..

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    Are there any other factions that constantly seem to want to rebel against the neighboring power, like:

Scotland to England
    Ireland to England
    Portugal to Castilla & Leon
    Cataluņa (Barcelona) to Castilla & Leon
    Pamplona to Castilla & Leon
    Northern Italy to HRE
    Northern Italy to France
    Low Countries/Dutch Provinces to Everyone

So on and so forth? Maybe you can (if you find the time and love) make a script so that they tend to rebel at least once a game, or 20 years after they've been conquered a small revolution, 50 years a really big one..
    Thanks for the feedback mate! Right now, I'm heavy into working on new units/factions, so haven't put much thought into new scripting ideas. But I'll keep something like this in mind. Unfortunately, I don't think you can script a province rebelling. But we'll see what else we can do, eh?