Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regiments

stradar1's Avatar Vicarius

Default Regiments

It was said About 20 Regiments max on the battle field Does this Mean i can have about 60Thousand Troops in the battle field???

If not then they shouldnt say 20 Regiment units becuase heres facts about Regiment Size.
    regiment or group 2000–3000 +2 battalions

Heres what they said.
    Land Battles:
    - Maximum of twenty regiments (according to James Russell in PC Gameplay).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formati...s_.26_Commands
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Default Re: Regiments

Im sure regiment size in the game is different than in real life. Although, i would like to know what is this game size.

Quote Originally Posted by MRY6 View Post
    Im sure regiment size in the game is different than in real life. Although, i would like to know what is this game size.
    well im sorry but to be blunt U cant call it a regiment if the unit is smaller then 600 men so if its 20 regiments it should be a pretty big army.
    Total War is the only massive war game that has yet to be Surpassed keep up the good work CA don't let us down!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stradar1 View Post
    well im sorry but to be blunt U cant call it a regiment if the unit is smaller then 600 men so if its 20 regiments it should be a pretty big army.
    Two words, unit scale. The point of this is to make it so that players without super computors can still enjoy the game on higher graphics without much lag.
    End of an era

Nissedruva's Avatar Senator

It was said About 20 Regiments max on the battle field Does this Mean i can have about 60Thousand Troops in the battle field???

If not then they shouldnt say 20 Regiment units becuase heres facts about Regiment Size.
    regiment or group 2000–3000 +2 battalions

Heres what they said.
    Land Battles:
    - Maximum of twenty regiments (according to James Russell in PC Gameplay).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formati...s_.26_Commands
    A swedish regiment was about 1200 men....but even with that it gives you over 20k of troops...i think that a regiment should be battalion size (around 500 men) ingame.
    - Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
    - That was pretty ninja....

Although regiments may have varied in size (x thousands) it was pretty rare to have more than one battalion from each in the same theater. So, a battalion per TW slot, scaled down to manageable max size, say 200-250?

By manageable I mean in terms of how much screen space larger units take up before you have to start scrolling round like mad or zoom out so far that you lose all that TW visual loveliness. Also remembering those who can't afford HAL to play the game.

I want HAL
    Last edited by MRY6; October 15, 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Provocateur View Post
    Although regiments may have varied in size (x thousands) it was pretty rare to have more than one battalion from each in the same theater. So, a battalion per TW slot, scaled down to manageable max size, say 200-250?

By manageable I mean in terms of how much screen space larger units take up before you have to start scrolling round like mad or zoom out so far that you lose all that TW visual loveliness. Also remembering those who can't afford HAL to play the game.
    Well yes u maybe right haveing the units smaller like 250 men but.If They call a unit of 250 men a Regiment i will truely Be Dissapointed.now if they call 250 men a Battalion then ill be fine with that.but they said 20 Regiments so im sorry if this is true they better say at least 500 to 2000 men per a Regiment if not ill be truely Dissapointed.Plus im sick and tired of the small one regiment battles like in previous total war games.In this Era They need to Step up the Battle Size like big time i want bigger battles not small battles.So in my opinon i want at least 10 to 20k men on a battle field.Dreams!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nissedruva View Post
    A swedish regiment was about 1200 men....but even with that it gives you over 20k of troops...i think that a regiment should be battalion size (around 500 men) ingame.
    so ingame 10k troops thats do able id say

Please edit your posts instead of double posting. -Empress Meg
    Last edited by Empress Meg; October 16, 2007 at 01:10 PM.

so ingame 10k troops thats do able id say
    x2 if you count the opposition in, less do-able. I think they mean by "regiment" battalion of a regiment. Any way, historically speaking, a regiment was at a battle if one of its battalions was there, so I don't think they are even wrong in their choice of words.

Opps, there you go see Fantabulous below - they don't talk about regiments at all.
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; October 15, 2007 at 11:48 AM.

To be blunt, Stradar, they dont call 'em regiments anyway so I dont know what you're getting at. Each group of soldiers is called a 'unit', which could suggest anything. Like has been said, the game is being marketed to people who dont have supercomputers as well as those who do, and their PCs just will not cope with that mant troops. There's very few strategy game who can get as many on as TW does anyway, so stop complaining. You've gotta remember its only a PC game, and games have limits -- in Medieval II castles wouldn't have been captured by standing at the centre for 3 minutes, but its GAMEPLAY.

x2 if you count the opposition in, less do-able. I think they mean by "regiment" battalion of a regiment. Any way, historically speaking, a regiment was at a battle if one of its battalions was there, so I don't think they are even wrong in their choice of words.
    ok but then they should call it Regiment Battalions?? plus if they do the 250 max per unit not includeing cannons there would be 5000 troops on a map.Sorry let me fix my calculations lol i ment a whole brigade is on the battle field
    Last edited by stradar1; October 15, 2007 at 12:01 PM.

ok but then they should call it Regiment Battalions?? plus if they do the 250 max per unit not includeing cannons there would be 5000 troops on a map.so allmost 1 corp would be on the battle field.
    See Fantabulous - no mention of regiments apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Melboy View Post
    To be blunt, Stradar, they dont call 'em regiments anyway so I dont know what you're getting at. Each group of soldiers is called a 'unit', which could suggest anything. Like has been said, the game is being marketed to people who dont have supercomputers as well as those who do, and their PCs just will not cope with that mant troops. There's very few strategy game who can get as many on as TW does anyway, so stop complaining. You've gotta remember its only a PC game, and games have limits -- in Medieval II castles wouldn't have been captured by standing at the centre for 3 minutes, but its GAMEPLAY.
    im not complaining sir im just trying to understand why they would say 20 regiments so please save it.I have read half of post people wants bigger and better for there buck so u cant just say that im complaining about it im stateing facts about army sizes and calculateing what they will have for us in the game so im not complaining thanks you.

See Fantabulous - no mention of regiments apparently.
    No they did say regiments im just FIguring this out sorry if im being a pain.I just want to understand there intenstions for the army size.if it is 5000 men i can do with that.but id still want the option to send in 5k or 10k more in for reinforcements =PP.Im sorry i do big battles i love big battles.And long Battles lol.

TO fix my last post i ment 5000 men is a whole brigade

Please edit your posts instead of double posting. -Empress Meg
    Last edited by Empress Meg; October 16, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

Yea i think they need to increase the numbers able to be fielded in the game. Just seems necessary, with this era at least.

edders's Avatar Senator

I agree, but frankly if they were going to raise the unit-per-army cap beyond 20 they'd prolly be advertising it like crazy. I guess maybe they just want to save it for later, or they're still experimenting, but I seriously doubt it...

Each nation had it own regimental numbers. The UK for instance had 2-3 batts per regiment of say 1000 men each on paper. Normally batts would never be this size in actual comabt. Furthermore, there would be a home batt at the depot for training of fresh troops.

A French regiment could be anywhere from 4-6 batts. Each batt containing 6 companis of 140 men, on paper. As you can see, the French regiment would be rather larger then the UK's.

It is a very lose term and I think CA chose this to keep the idea flexable for their purposes. A regiment is not a regiment is not a regiment. They all vary.

Devoirs The Empress
    Last edited by Empress Meg; October 18, 2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added an extra zero to my 100.
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

It says somewhere on the CA site that there will be a unit max of 20,000 troops per army per battle....

Doing the math, thats approx 20 units of 1000 (taking into account batteries and calvary)... so the unit size is just about two Battalions. I think that could definitely be called a Regiment (though perhaps not as large as real life).

Cheers

EDIT: I have searched the CA site and forums for that figure but have been unable to find it again. Therefore, 20,000 troops may not be a reliable figure as I cannot find the documentation. Also, it may be as Maréchal_Martin says: 20,000 units per battle total. That would mean only 10,000 per aggressor (but I think 20k per army is right)
    Last edited by BattleDrumz; October 16, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

In the game of thrones, you either win or you die.
    Westeros: Total War Music & Sound Design
    Westeros: Total War Skinning

Maréchal_Martin's Avatar Libertus

you sure it's not 20,000 per battle ? at 40 units of 500 ?

Look when all is said and done, a typical French Line Infantry Regiment (for argument sake) ranged from 600 to 1100. Their numbers were largely based on their position in the Grande Armee. For instance, during the invasion of Russia, The Imperial Garde Corps were accompanied by 16 Infantry Battalions of the Polish Vistula Legion. Each Battalion was 600 strong. This is demonstrative of the high regard Napoleon held for the Poles. So each Regiment in this case was 1200 strong (4 Regiments).

Quote Originally Posted by BattleDrumz View Post
    It says somewhere on the CA site that there will be a unit max of 20,000 troops per army per battle....

Doing the math, thats approx 20 units of 1000 (taking into account batteries and calvary)... so the unit size is just about two Battalions. I think that could definitely be called a Regiment (though perhaps not as large as real life).

Cheers
    OOH HOOO SWEET SOURCE ME.Any ways i UnderStand better from all your Data On the Regiment Sizes There all Diffrent so i understand better thanks guys.
    Last edited by stradar1; October 16, 2007 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast