Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Dark Future for US Recruitment

Default A Dark Future for US Recruitment

Consider a future US scenario where the government is so much affraid of losing political support that it relies more and more on mercenaries instead of national citizens. Now, imagine that the taste of war and the rigidity of the system have increased so much that little, if any US citizens can enter the army even as mercenaries.

Instead, the US Government would rely more and more on armies recruited from illegal Mexican and Latin American immigrants, or anything else. In a very Ptolemaic style, the country would be run by an inbred political oligarchy and the army would be made mostly of Middle-Eastern, African and Latin American immigrants who are given some property in exchange for military service. A small, almost aristocratic, recruitment poll, really uncapable of keeping American hegemony over th world.

In fact, it is not a totally implausible scenario. But what's the future of the US army if they rely increasingly on mercenaries in Iraq and the draft, along with recruitment, shrinks mainly due to fear of losing political support home?
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Default Re: A Dark Future for US Recruitment

Don't see it. Remember before Iraq went south, there was still a majority support among the US population for a draft.

If a true cause comes up which requires Americans to serve the public will support it, as they did post 9/11.

Also, the standing US military is around 1.8m, plus reserves/guard etc. Private security contracters number like 20,000. There are around 80,000 more contracters in Iraq also, but they arn't armed security, they mostly do cooking/cleaning/driving etc.

I wonder is there any TWC poster (besides myself) that sees a future for the US that doesnt involve death, destruction, chaos, anarchy and basically all the bad parts of the Book of Revelations?

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    I wonder is there any TWC poster (besides myself) that sees a future for the US that doesnt involve death, destruction, chaos, anarchy and basically all the bad parts of the Book of Revelations?
    Well if they get to run things decently, nobody gets harmed . But what if in the future the public gets so unwillingly to fight that "mercenaries" and even illegal immigrants have to fill up the army?
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Dismounted H@Xx0rZ's Avatar Centenarius

Unlikely to happen because a major ********* would result.

The main issue would be illegal immigrants getting land, which would result in major electoral butthurt for ano politician stupid enough to do that.
    Last edited by pannonian; October 13, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
    Current Threat Level:

Also, join the CLC!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=223

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted H@Xx0rZ View Post
    Unlikely to happen because a major ********* would result.

The main issue would be illegal immigrants getting land, which would result in major electoral butthurt for ano politician stupid enough to do that.
    Not exactly just "land", but any kind of property. Or even force illegal immigrants to be recruited. That wouldn't attract much attention especially because everyone would be so indifferent that it was better to force an illegal immigrant to fight than to institute a draft for nationals.
    Last edited by pannonian; October 13, 2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Continuity.

Dismounted H@Xx0rZ's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire le Philosophe View Post
    Not exactly just "land", but any kind of property. Or even force illegal immigrants to be recruited. That wouldn't attract much attention especially because everyone would be so indifferent that it was better to force an illegal immigrant to fight than to institute a draft for nationals.
    HAHAHA OH WOW!!!

Tell that to the bleeding heart liberals and the Church.
    Current Threat Level:

Also, join the CLC!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=223

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    I wonder is there any TWC poster (besides myself) that sees a future for the US that doesnt involve death, destruction, chaos
    Me.

It's the present, not a future, and not so much for the US, but their victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismounted H@Xx0rZ View Post
    HAHAHA OH WOW!!!

Tell that to the bleeding heart liberals and the Church.
    Well, it would much better than forcing the anti-war people to fight. Besides, nobody would need to know that... They're not "official", clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by PacSubCom View Post
    Me.

Typical crap from you. You really should seek some help to deal with your anger/hatred issues as far as the US goes.

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

I think a service for Citizenship exchange would solve some of the immigration problem and expand the military. Its a win win, tell the immigrant that if they serve for X number of years they get Citizenship and maybe can bring wives and children. At the same time you crack down on illegal immigration thereby making enlistment very lucrative. A lot of Latin American immigrant want to be in America for the long haul and I think would be a loyal part of the army.

The US has always been an Oligarchy and will always be one anyone who thinks otherwise should take a harder look at our system.

The US army really has no love for Military contractors because they make their job harder and sap from their recruitment pool. An expansion of the military from a wider pool would decrease the need for PMCs
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

It's called MGS4.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by PacSubCom View Post
    Me.

always the optimist I see.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

They beleive what they want to beleive.

If you ask some posters, we're going to be invaded and destroyed by either the EU or China...and it will be all our fault too.

are you just applying the metaphor of US = Rome to the end of Rome, i.e. the romans hiring germans who would then be given land in the empire.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

It does have some similarities, mainly the unwilingness of the citizen body to fight, or the same problem combined with rioting and violent reaction to an organised drafting and effort to put the average American male into a fight, like in Vietnam. But seeing how delicate the draft is, and how anti-war the North-American public is, the politicians are gradually more and more sensible towards mobilizing voters who could turn against them in the day of the elections, or even worse, cause their close relatives and friends to start a revolt in their communities. This, if continued together with the general pacifist feeling and the alarming influence and counter-influence of the mass media, depicting in a detailed way the death of American soldiers like never before, can potentially reduce the sense of a war in the masses and make them unlikely to rally under the banner in case of a crisis so much that the taste of war will get bad, and it will turn the whole draft thing into a glass house ready to be tarnished and broken by the minor disturbance that comes first.

But the need for people to serve will still be high, and when propaganda and mass support fail, the only way is to either cause a political crisis by instituting a draft or hire anyone willing to do the job, for a great deal of money of course. Then come the mercenaries and the illegals getting paid.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; October 13, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

.. This is why the militia system should have never been abandoned. And why some still try to use it by practicing their right to keep and bear arms.

Unfortunately considering how much the government hates this right, they'd love to get rid of that altogether.
    Team Member <3

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

Keep in mind that the popularity of the military as a career choice fluctuates depending on various circumstances. It drops during the reign of people like Bush II and Carter, and increases during the reign of people like Reagan. If we get another Reagan in the future, the recruitment levels will probably go back up.

Also, most people don't want to fight in these wars because they're BS. I mean, Iraq and Vietnam were serious threats? Really?

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by El Brujo View Post
    Keep in mind that the popularity of the military as a career choice fluctuates depending on various circumstances. It drops during the reign of people like Bush II and Carter, and increases during the reign of people like Reagan. If we get another Reagan in the future, the recruitment levels will probably go back up.

Also, most people don't want to fight in these wars because they're BS. I mean, Iraq and Vietnam were serious threats? Really?
    quoted for truth.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I'm enlisting, recruiting is actually going quite well I hear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast