Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Brvtvs/Constantinvs (senate records)

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Svlla/Constantinus

If you mean garrisons (called Acre Legions in the Legion Recruitment Reform Act), then no. The Law only appeals to Legions in the field that are recruited to fight, not to keep order. There is a despriction of the Standard Field Legion and the Standard Acre Legion in the law. That description is what seperates them and therefore their status.

Gentlemen of the senate, this motion will not render the senate useless! These legins will only be formed in times of war, and what few scattered armies we currently employ will not be sufficient to invade Cisalpine Gaul!

Each newly formed legion will require a senate vote as stated, and I for one will not vote for new armies when in a pre-determined peace such as currently, however si vis pacem para bellum! If we declare war on a nation wthout the means to destroy them we are wasting our gold and the lives of noble Romans - Therefore if their is a concensus to go to war, then I will vote in a couple more legions so that we can neutralise any threat, however never more than 1 legion per two provinces should be needed for we Romans ar estrong, and crafted in the likeness of Mars himself!

To clarify I will support a reform as stated by other senators previously, as long as there could be a clause under the title of senior consul, that he may draft up ARMED FORCES so as to equal that of enemy armies - those armed forces include Legions - 1 per 2 regions, Acre Legions - 1 per legion (to suport and reinforce legions out in the field. Further more I would like to reform the use of spies to 1 spy per army (Consul's total force) to a max of 3 spies, therefore it is mandatory for a spy to be present in the army so that our soldiers do not walk into any traps of the filthy barbarians on our doorsteps.

Finally gentlemen, do not dismiss me as a "novo homes", I speak reason to you, and I am no warmongerer, I speak plainly of efficiency, not of creating open war! I am a man for the senate and people of Rome and therefore my suggestions (excluding spies) are restricted to war time, no more than one active legion per three regions in peacetime (extra legions move back into cities and stay away from the frontline... NEVER disband men unless voted upon by senate)

In conclusion I put forth these reforms

IN WARTIME

1) Allows the upkeep of one Roman Legion per two Roman provinces (ALL LEGIONS ASSUMED TO BE ACTIVE)

2) Allows the upkeep of one Roman Auxiliary Legion per two Roman Legions in addition to Acre Legions: 5 main cohors of regional, light Roman troops, 3 cohors of light missile troops (always javelins, slingers) 2 cohors of light cavalry, This is to ensure that the auxilia army remains a strong, flexible SUPPORTING ARMY - It is to be used (against larger forces) in conjuction with a legion, so that it provides a missile screen, flanking and skirmishing force which the legion is inapt at handling.

COMPOSITION UP FOR DEBATE

3) The consul MUST keep the senate informed of each armed force being recruited, senate can vote to disband an armed force or vote against its recruitment

4) Each new Legion therefore must be voted upon by the senate

AT ANY TIME

1) 1 spy + 1 diplomat per consulular army (entire group of Legions + Auxillia) to a maximum of 3 spies + 3 diplomats (only for a LARGE army)

2) Senate must be kept abrest of spy information and diplomatic entreaties - This reform does not give consuls more power!

IN PEACETIME

1) 1 ACTIVE legion per 3 regions (ie legions used in peactime to be pulled back from the front line / or disbanded as the senate sees fit)

2) No direct use of spies so we do not give undue cause for hostilities!

3) Auxilia armies to be retained (not a typo ) on the front line as a defensive force

-Thank you for your time and patience noble friends,

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Salve senator and welcome!

I generally liked your motion.I do have though some counter-proposals if you would like to implement them;

1)No need of Auxilia legions up until the marian reforms;A stack of light roman infantry with velites and equites for support won't save the day,nor shall it relieve the preasure from the frontier legions in the case of war;When we have the marian reforms,you can very well re-propose this.But until then the creation of auxilia legions won't be of benefit.

2)We Optimates have put forth the TOUR OF DUTY idea;Instead of disbanding the recruited legions,instead have them serve as ACTIVE legions for a given amount of time and then withdraw them back to mainland Italy for refitting and guard duties.

3)I totally agree with the spies and diplomats motion;I think though that there shouldn't be a limit o how many spies can a consular army have as in some cases you may have to look to more than three directions for enemies;I do not wish to have a legion caught up from the back and annihilated because of intelligence shortage!

Salve Senator!
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Former consul your words flow sweeter than honey, and for that I will indeed apply your ammendments as in hindsight they are extremely well-founded!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucillus Gallica View Post

IN WARTIME

1) Allows the upkeep of one Roman Legion per two Roman provinces (ALL LEGIONS ASSUMED TO BE ACTIVE)

2) The consul MUST keep the senate informed of each armed force being recruited, senate can vote to disband an armed force or vote against its recruitment

3) Each new Legion therefore must be voted upon by the senate

AT ANY TIME

1) Minimum of 1 spy + 1 diplomat per consulular army (entire group of Legions + Auxillia) to a reasonable, feasible amount, however the senate must be consulted.

2) Senate must be kept abrest of spy information and diplomatic entreaties - This reform does not give consuls more power!

IN PEACETIME

1) 1 ACTIVE legion per 3 regions (ie legions used in peactime to be pulled back from the front line / or disbanded as the senate sees fit)

2) No direct use of spies so we do not give undue cause for hostilities!

-Thank you for your time and patience noble friends,

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Overall your proposal is very good and I add to the spirit of our Faction,the Optimates.I will consult with the other members,because I think that this proposal we can support.
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I