Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 5.1 Released

Default Re: Stainless Steel 5.0 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Korgar View Post
    The fastest way to do this is to install Retrofit Mod, then delete everything inside ..\mods\Retrofit and last install SS inside this folder (instead of ..\mods\Stainless Steel, change it to ..\mods\Retrofit, or just copy the entire content there )
    In the launcher you can run the name Retrofit but it loads SS
    This might be a question better suited for the thread on Retrofit 1.0 but:

Retrofit won't install with Steam, at least for me! It can't detect my installation. So no Retrofit. If someone could post the reg values that retrofit creates, I can go into the registry and change them like the reg hack before.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it! Thanks to King Kong for making such an awesome mod!!
    Last edited by Here Comes Everybody; October 20, 2007 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkuruben View Post
    If you think it is easy to modify this version to work with vanilla M2TW, why don't you do it yourself? Just download this version and modify it. If you have no experiense in modding you have no right to say what is easy or what is not.
    I have every right to. This is a public forum, where people express their points of view. It may be that it is very difficult to alter it, hence why I was asking a question.

But if you admit that it "may" be hard to do, why do you say otherwise? as if it is easy and done in a matter of minutes?

Granted, you are free to express whatever you want, but you cannot judge on things you have no experience with.

Would it be my place to tell a doctor that his diagnose was wrong? No because I simply not educated in that sector.

But I rest my case here, I do not really wish to spend time on discussing this in this forum. If you feel taht you need to express yourself further, feel free to pm me.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

Got it working and got to say, thank you very much...

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfFaze View Post
    I don't think that's fair. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm in the same boat as him, but we're a week on, and we don't have anything to download. I understand king kong does this mod on his own, which is a lot of work. I also appreciate the guy probably has a life, but how difficult is it to release a slightly altered download at the same time?

I may come across as a spoiled brat, frankly, I don't care. I want SS 5 because it's the best M2 mod, and I can't get it, because I have no intention of ever buying Kingdoms. Who said life was fair?
    Surely that last sentence should apply to you? To get SS5 you need to buy Kingdoms - life's unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfFaze View Post
    I want SS 5 because it's the best M2 mod, and I can't get it, because I have no intention of ever buying Kingdoms. Who said life was fair?
    For God's sake, just go out there and buy the expansion. I paid 20 € for it, that's about 7 pints of beers in a pub, where I come from (in a supermarket you get approximately 20 pints for €20). Or you get ~4.2 packs of very fine quality cigarettes for this ammount of money.
    And if you don't smoke, and don't drink beer, let your girlfriend pay for the next 2 dinners herself when you are going out. And if you don't have a girlfriend, ask your mum for 20€.

And to be honest, I think SS 5.0 without Kingdoms won't be very fascinating at all. After all, I believe it is impossible to implement the new factions without having kingdoms installed (Teutonic Order, Norway, Ireland to name but a few). Not to speak of other features (boiling oil, AI-controlled Reinforcements,...). Thinking of it, what will actually be left of SS 5.0 for a kingdom-free install?

My Home is my Castle.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

7 pints? I'd take the beer! But I'm Australian soooo....

And to be honest, I think SS 5.0 without Kingdoms won't be very fascinating at all. After all, I believe it is impossible to implement the new factions without having kingdoms installed (Teutonic Order, Norway, Ireland to name but a few). Not to speak of other features (boiling oil, AI-controlled Reinforcements,...). Thinking of it, what will actually be left of SS 5.0 for a kingdom-free install?
    Not sure either. Probably just the late-era campaign with the same early-era factions, just with different starting positions and date.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

It is possible to copy all the new factions and units to vanilla but that would simply break the copyright law.
    Artifex
    Under the patronage of King Kong
    Proud patron of y2day and yelowdogg23

Am I the only one who can never open the stainless steel downloads by doubleclicking the icon after download? Has been the same for every version and I can´t open it with winrar or winzip either. Is this file available on any other location?

Looks good though

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

It's a .exe file that is made with an install program, so you wont be able to open it with winrar or winzip. What is the filename of the file you have?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

forget it, we (who do not want to buy kingdoms) get ignored!
    I would really like to to upload a version for the original M2, but this:
    Quote Originally Posted by wonkuruben View Post
    It is possible to copy all the new factions and units to vanilla but that would simply break the copyright law.
    ...is exactly my problem at the moment.
    I'm not sure whether it is legal or not. I've asked around a bit, but there are too many different opinions at the moment...
    I may ask a member of CA and hope to get a response soon...

Hi mailor,
    Well, of course I have implemented almost only elements from kingdoms...
    However, actually all features (except boiling oil, mangonels and control reeinforcements) would work for the original game...
    Last edited by King Kong; October 22, 2007 at 11:09 AM.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

ya, i don't think it's legal, so KK can't simply just give you the kingdom files when you haven't actually bought it

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

definitely illegal. sucks though, i was looking fwd to 5.0. Guess i'll have to wait till i get kingdoms.

thx for the answer KK.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

KK you are spot on. Totally illegal, and also, you might have 1 or 2 saying 'thanks' if you did anyway, but then you would get flamed by dozens of Kingdoms owners, saying 'Oh - so you would rather help 2 illegally, rather than dozens legally!' or word to that effect.

I really cannot see how less than 80% of MTW2 owners not having/planning to get Kingdoms. So as much as a couple of posters make a lot of noise, the vast majority are perfectly happy now or will be when they find out about this mod!

Downloading now, about 300-400 kbs....so i might be finished reading the features list before my download completes...maybe

very impressive work

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

Thanks KK, this mod sounds awesome! I have loved your mods since 3.0 and I really don't mind having to restart the campaigns every time you put out a new one because i know they'll just be better! Can anyone tell me though if uninstalling 4.1 is absolutely necessary this time?
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

It is not necessary to uninstall 4.1 Pope, but you might as well to save disk space!

I wasn't going to buy any more of their products because of their terrible customer service with medieval II, but I think I will go buy kingdoms just to play this mod.. is that lame?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstone11 View Post
    I wasn't going to buy any more of their products because of their terrible customer service with medieval II, but I think I will go buy kingdoms just to play this mod.. is that lame?
    No, that's excellent! After all, CA gave us an expansion with tons and tons of gameplay for a low price, when most publishers do the opposite! (5 hour gameplay HL2 EP1 anybody?!)