Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 5.1 Released

Default Re: Stainless Steel 5.0 Released

the copy error I get says...

Windows encountered a problem trying to copy this file. What do you want windows to do.

retry / cancel

If I click retry it instantly brings this window back up, and nothing happens by holding down enter, the window just keeps coming back, till I click cancel.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I tried compressing it to a rar file, but that only took 3mb off the size it went from 733mb to 730mb, and I'm not quite sure how to divide the file into 2, I'll give it a shot though, but every time I try and send the file to the cd drive, or even when I just copy the file and try and paste it into the CD window, I get a copy error from windows??? I even installed it on his desktop to see if I could move it around and fit it like so, but it's 2.33 GB so I gave up on that. AHHHH I'm going INSANE, just my luck 30 mb's killing me...
    Download winace and install it. Click create and go to the options tab. On the right side you should see a Volumes area. Click on the dropdown box to select your CD size. http://www.winace.com

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Download winace and install it. Click create and go to the options tab. On the right side you should see a Volumes area. Click on the dropdown box to select your CD size. http://www.winace.com

Thanks giving it a shot... McAfee is telling me not to download from that site though...

McAfee is a lying scumbag who....sorry..I mean dont worry it's fine

Haqiq's Avatar Civis

Can someone help me?

I download the 700mb data but unfortunately when I click it irefox appear. It been set to 'open with firefox 'when I click it.
    Even changing its name to .exe won't convert it into executable file.

What should I do?

what is the filename of the file you downloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    McAfee is a lying scumbag who....sorry..I mean dont worry it's fine

Ya, it downloaded fine, and is 1/3 done already, I really hope this works...

Haqiq's Avatar Civis

X6. The type is 'Firefox Document'. Its 700mb by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Haqiq View Post
    X6. The type is 'Firefox Document'. Its 700mb by the way.
    That is really odd. I think something has gone wrong with your download if you cant even give the file the .exe extension to get it to work...

great...

I tried to send the winace file to the cd rom and it gave me that copy error again...

Windows encountered a problem trying to copy this file. What do you want windows to do.

retry / cancel

If I click retry it instantly brings this window back up, and nothing happens by holding down enter, the window just keeps coming back, till I click cancel.

Why can't I copy this file in any way shape or form?

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    great...

Why can't I copy this file in any way shape or form?

Perhaps try a specific CD burning program like Nero to copy the file to the CD?

Haqiq's Avatar Civis

Hey when I right click and go to properties, I check the detail.

When I rename it to .exe, the value in 'details' tab is X6.exe.htm

How do I remove the .htm word in the file value?

Quote Originally Posted by Haqiq View Post
    Hey when I right click and go to properties, I check the detail.

When I rename it to .exe, the value in 'details' tab is X6.exe.htm

How do I remove the .htm word in the file value?
    Ah. In windows explorer, go to the tools menu and select folder options. Go the view tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" box. You "should" be able to rename the file properly now.

Haqiq's Avatar Civis

Itw ork and a logo of a drive with a roow pointing at it appear.

But now when I click it it says 'This file contain invalid data'.

Should I redownload?

+rep thx for the help.

haqiq: It does sound like something got screwed up with your download. Perhaps downloading it again will fix it. At least then you can check that you are getting a proper .exe file

Haqiq's Avatar Civis

Yeah thx I downloading again right away!

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Don't ever choose open, always choose download! The problem with using 'open' is you need to know what program to use. Choosing 'firefox' to 'open' an exe installer is always going to cause grief. Also, always choosing open is going to fill your TEMP folder to overflowing!

I always save to desktop, then open then either burn the file to a CD or copy to another drive or just delete. But the fact the original zip, rar, etc is where I know it is is a big help when you then have problems opening it because you don't have the right program!

I also see this thread is mostly about downloading.. Not many about actual playing. I will repeat, for me, there is too much German in the game and even the game menu's, etc. Wonder if there's a way to fix that without needing a KK fix?

At the moment I am still playing SS 4.1 until this language problem gets fixed, and still having a ton of fun with it! The Scots for example, hang on with just one Citadel I couldn't break for about 40 turns! Then I got attacked by Denmark and had to move my fleets that were stopping the Scots leaving harbour. As soon as I did, the Scots sent half it's force by ship to France, where it had Diplomats from the start of the game and took a (now Danish owned) Rennes! For 50 plus turns now I have been trying to get rid of those damn Scots so I could look to the Continent without anybody at my rear, but the AI gives them a little extra money and they really know how to use it! They managed to stay friendly with the Pope too, with just one city Church and 3 priests(!) They managed to find out about Rennes when their Diplomats had no possibilty to get back home because of my fleets, but I will forgive that 'cheating' as it is really making the game a realistic challenge. When you consider I am on turn 180 or so and barely into France let alone anywhere else shows how clever the enemy AI is! And with the traits/supply line in place, it makes EVERYTHING tactical! By the way, go to the BBB link on page one and read the FAQ and readme. You have to read up on the trait/supply line system, because once you understand it it is brilliant and well worth the research!

Can I also mention a MTW2 feature that nobody talks about - Your Generals pre-amble prior to battle?! They are so brilliant and really work well most of the time! Like one battle where I was (still!) trying to oust the Scots. The General pointed out they were 'just' Scots, he pointed out they had sent over half their total force to the battle (correct!) and also pointed out that as a 'species' they were due to leave this world, meaning I presume they were down to one city! Of course, it was all flowered up, but I heartily recommend taking the time to listen to your Generals remarks as they can be very funny and/or touching!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
    I also see this thread is mostly about downloading.. Not many about actual playing. I will repeat, for me, there is too much German in the game and even the game menu's, etc. Wonder if there's a way to fix that without needing a KK fix?
    Download wonkuruben's fix.

Awesome kk looks like you have put alot of hard work here

and its good to se you alive, thought you were killed in the holyland

Hello all!

Did i understand correctly that SS 5.0 didn't includes four expansion campains?