Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Technical assistance for M2TW

DrIstvaan's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Technical assistance for M2TW

That's strange; I haven't ever encountered this problem. You could try uninstalling the mod, cleaning its subfolder and reinstalling it, maybe something went wrong while installing.
    Also, do other 1.1-based mods (if there are any others) work all right?

You may want to take a look at my small mod, Like Orange in Black Chocolate.
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

After a few attempts I have my version working very well. I love not having to mess about waiting ages before I can get the well armed and armoured units, etc. But was wondering: Is there anything I can do to change it to 4 turns per year?

Also I keep getting this error message now when I besiege Athens then go to fight on the battle map as the Ottoman Empire:

Edit: God damn it. I uninstalled Renaissance, then tried reinstalling it. Only now I've had the same problem as most of the people in this thread: I run the .bat file and I too get the DOS window that pops up very briefly then disappears very quickly, but the game won't run at all now. I did eveything correctly.
    The location of the .bat file is C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Renaissance (I'm on XP64), not Renaissance Total War or Renassaince Total War 2.75. Just regular Renaissance. I also checked and both my renaissance.bat and renaissance.cfg files are in the Renaissance folder. I can't seem to get it working. Yet I was playing it earlier today.

2nd Edit: OK. It seems to be working now. I think I may have been making the same mistake earlier when I was having difficulties with this problem:
    I was installing it to C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Renaissance, which meant that it was creating a Renaissance folder before it even installed the mod.
    It was only after a few tries that I realised you meant I was supposed to install it to SEGA\Medieval II Total War and it would create its own Renaissance directory from there. Silly me.
    Also I'll have to give it another go and see if I keep getting that random crash message now.

3rd Edit: Damn, there it goes again giving me the same error message that I posted the screenshot of earlier. I'm not sure but I think it might have something to do with taking Athens. I played a different Ottoman campaign after I'd just installed it and didn't get this problem. But I had bought, rather than captured Athens. Other than that it worked fine. I'll try having a battle elsewhere.

4th Edit: Yep. It seems to be going to the battle map. At least for capturing Athens anyway. I just autoresolved that battle and it took the cities with no errors whatsoever.
    Last edited by kdub22; August 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Thank you for your detailed input! Indeed, it seems the game has some weird issue with Athens.
    Currently, there is no way to change the system to 4 turns a year, but once I have M2TW+RenTW installed (haven't done so since I installed Windows 7), I'll try out something and let you know if it works.
    (Also, sorry for not responding earlier, I haven't been up here for quite some time.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrIstvaan View Post
    Thank you for your detailed input! Indeed, it seems the game has some weird issue with Athens.
    Currently, there is no way to change the system to 4 turns a year, but once I have M2TW+RenTW installed (haven't done so since I installed Windows 7), I'll try out something and let you know if it works.
    (Also, sorry for not responding earlier, I haven't been up here for quite some time.)
    It's all good. I figured there'd be a way to change it to 4 tuns per year since there are other mods that do it.

I did have another query though.
    Whenever I exit the game, it loses the video, sound and game settings that I had saved, and I have to reset them all again every time I start the mod up. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Last edited by kdub22; August 29, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Just installed the mod, but I can't find a way to actually play it. There's no icon.

Also can't work out how to install the economy fix.

Anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Doomhammer View Post
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Just installed the mod, but I can't find a way to actually play it. There's no icon.

Also can't work out how to install the economy fix.

Anyone help?
    I'll take you from the begining. First, uninstall the mod:
    Your two best options would be to either use Add/Remove Programs, or the Start>Programs>Renaissance Total War 2.75>Uninstall shortcut. You may get an error message at the end of the uninstall. Don't worry about that. Finish the uninstall, then go into your medieval 2 directory and delete your renaissance folder.
    Now, run the Renaissance2.75.exe setup file and follow the prompts. As I explained in this post, do not install it to the directory that the setup file leaves as default. Delete part of the install line that says "Renaissance Total War 2.75." Do not replace it with anything. It should just install straight into your Medieval 2 directory. The setup file will create all the necessary folders it needs from there.
    That should create a shortcut, if it didn't. Go back into your medieval 2 folder, find the file called "Renaissance.bat", right click on it, then go send to>desktop (create shortcut). You should be fine from there.

As for installing the economy fix, it works the same way as the one for the Timurid Elephants:
    Open the .rar file, select the files, then extract them to Renaissance\data
    That worked fine for me. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by kdub22; August 30, 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdub22 View Post
    I did have another query though.
    Whenever I exit the game, it loses the video, sound and game settings that I had saved, and I have to reset them all again every time I start the mod up. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Sounds horribly like a Read-only file issue. Check that Renaissance.cfg (and, just to be sure, medieval2.preference.cfg) is not set to read-only.

And BTW, thanks for being so helpful!

Sounds horribly like a Read-only file issue. Check that Renaissance.cfg (and, just to be sure, medieval2.preference.cfg) is not set to read-only.
    OK. Thanks for that. I'll give that a try.
    And BTW, thanks for being so helpful!
    lol. I figured with all the problems and questions I'd be getting annoying by now.

I'll take you from the begining. First, uninstall the mod:
    Your two best options would be to either use Add/Remove Programs, or the Start>Programs>Renaissance Total War 2.75>Uninstall shortcut. You may get an error message at the end of the uninstall. Don't worry about that. Finish the uninstall, then go into your medieval 2 directory and delete your renaissance folder.
    Now, run the Renaissance2.75.exe setup file and follow the prompts. As I explained in this post, do not install it to the directory that the setup file leaves as default. Delete part of the install line that says "Renaissance Total War 2.75." Do not replace it with anything. It should just install straight into your Medieval 2 directory. The setup file will create all the necessary folders it needs from there.
    That should create a shortcut, if it didn't. Go back into your medieval 2 folder, find the file called "Renaissance.bat", right click on it, then go send to>desktop (create shortcut). You should be fine from there.

As for installing the economy fix, it works the same way as the one for the Timurid Elephants:
    Open the .rar file, select the files, then extract them to Renaissance\data
    That worked fine for me. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, but I'm still struggling here. When I reinstall, it doesn't have anything in the install line that says "Renaissance Total War 2.75.". The Destination Folder comes up as "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War", which is I assume what it is supposed to be...?

I should probably stick to mods that have a foolproof installation method that even technophobes like me can cope with.

OK. Thanks for that. I'll give that a try.
    Didn't seem to work from what I can tell. Oh well. It's not that big of a problem to set them again when I open. Only takes a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin Doomhammer View Post
    Thanks, but I'm still struggling here. When I reinstall, it doesn't have anything in the install line that says "Renaissance Total War 2.75.". The Destination Folder comes up as "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War", which is I assume what it is supposed to be...?

I should probably stick to mods that have a foolproof installation method that even technophobes like me can cope with.
    Yes, that sounds right. As long as it's installing straight into the Medieval II Total War directory and not some other folder within it, you should be OK.
    This is what it tries to install it to by default:

If this is where you've already installed Medieval 2 into, then you should be fine. If however you're like me and Medieval 2 wasn't installed into your Program Files directory, then you have to tell it where to find it, that seems to be when it adds that extra Renaissance 2.75 folder in:

But then if that happens just delete the extra install line from it and you should be fine:

Keep in mind I only have that (x86) in there because I'm using XP 64 bit edition. So you probably won't have that in there. At any rate, as long as it's only installing it into the directory you put M2TW into and nowhere else, you should be fine.

i have a problem... when i click on the file : renassaince.batch the game doesn't run, it opens a command window and closes it immediately.

on the installer when its loading it quickly pops up with an error message saying

thanks
    Kosovo ain't Serbia anymore so quit winging and get on with life

It seems like a corrupted file problem; try redownloading the mod.

DrIstvaan. Is there anything I can do to get music to play during battles? The music plays on the campaign map, but not the battle map.

Hiho,
    maybe you have to create this folder in Renaissance: Medieval2\data\sounds\effect_evt
    There are the sounds of arrows and cannons.
    Include the music there and hope

winrar says that the file is corrputed i tried many times downloading it but it desnt work

As i said in the other thread - install a new winrar - then it should work

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere Giovanni dīMedici View Post
    Hiho,
    maybe you have to create this folder in Renaissance: Medieval2\data\sounds\effect_evt
    There are the sounds of arrows and cannons.
    Include the music there and hope
    OK. Which folder should I copy the files from into that folder?

I unterstood it like this: You copied your music files into Renaissance\data\sounds - in the original Medieval2\data\sounds exists another folder effect_evt.
    So just create that one --> Renaissance\data\sounds\effect_evt and copy your music files there.
    This is an option. I dont know whether it works or not...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast