Thread: Single Player to Multiplayer

Default Single Player to Multiplayer

Hi everyone!

I've been playing single player for quite a while and consider myself a good player. What would you recommend are essential things to learn or what differences to be aware of, when going from single player to multiplayer?
    I'd imagine the human opponents would be a lot tougher than the AI

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Default Re: Single Player to Multiplayer

Welcome to the MP world of R:TW!

The Essentials:
    1) humans can actually think and adapt to what you're doing

2) humans don't throw away their units stupidly like the AI (at least not most of the time)

3) humans are tactically aware, and will take advantage of your weaknesses

4) don't expect any of your Single-Player strategies to work online (some work, but most don't)

5) it's time to click your mouse faster (you hear that, Attila16?)

6) expect lots of trash-talking on Gamespy (more so than any other Multiplayer game I've ever played)

7) learn all of your hotkeys (there aren't many)

8) learn to treat your opponents well. Don't join the herd of people who enjoy bad-mannered gaming

9)

Quote Originally Posted by FirstManOnTheMoon View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been playing single player for quite a while and consider myself a good player. What would you recommend are essential things to learn or what differences to be aware of, when going from single player to multiplayer?
    I'd imagine the human opponents would be a lot tougher than the AI
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; October 13, 2007 at 01:48 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Thanks Barbarian Prince. I'm wondering, while I'm getting my internet connection up to scratch, is fighting custom battles against the AI good practice, or is it a waste of time? Also, which is a good faction for multiplayer beginners: I like to play with good infantry and solid cavalry. Any factions that would suit those preferences (except Rome) that are good for a beginner?

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Hail!
    It's not a complete waste of time playing Custom Battles against the AI:
    1) it's still fun
    2) it will get you acquainted with the units and different denarii levels (and what kind of armies you can buy depending on the denarii level)
    3) you can practice your hotkeys against computer
    4) you can also practice keeping your units in motion (which I think is good practice for playing online)
    5) if you're just scouting a map out, it's a nice way to just run around the map

To answer your second question:
    If you're going to be playing at low denarii (near the 12,500 denarii level), then I think the best heavy infantry/cavalry factions are: Carthage, Macedon, and the Seleucids. Of course, I didn't include Rome because you told me not to. Rome (in my opinion) has the ultimate heavy infantry/heavy cavalry (Urban Cohorts/Praetorian Cavalry). I just want to point out that although the conventional Western army might win a few battles, it gets outclassed by mounted archers (horse archers or chariot archers). So when you're facing armies like Egypt, Pontus, Parthia, etc, you'll want to rethink what kind of army you're bringing.

But I also want to say you should practice with every faction so you can acquaint yourself with all of the different units (in addition to every faction's strengths and weaknesses).
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstManOnTheMoon View Post
    Thanks Barbarian Prince. I'm wondering, while I'm getting my internet connection up to scratch, is fighting custom battles against the AI good practice, or is it a waste of time? Also, which is a good faction for multiplayer beginners: I like to play with good infantry and solid cavalry. Any factions that would suit those preferences (except Rome) that are good for a beginner?
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; October 13, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

First thing that you will learn in MP is that you know nothing
    but its more challenging and gives a new dimension to tactical maneuvers in the field, and finally the reality thing a bit - simply superior force is NOT enough...First game got me badly :d tho ive won it, it only showed that Urban Cohorts on the max upgrades are match for anything

I assume that you mean you're going to do multiplayer battles, FirstManOnTheMoon?

@ Thanks, Barbarian Prince! I'll practice with all factions.

@Rasui Runihura Yes, multiplayer battles

@Runihura: isnt that obvius he is goin to do multyplayer battles?

@MOon man: hey if u want im most time online on rtw so if u wanna do some battles as practise u can tell me here or send pm my online name is: ]|{CoH}|[-Leonidas-]|[Emp]|[ so u can find me there too

good luck
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon