Thread: My theory on why political participation in the US is low

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Default My theory on why political participation in the US is low

Usually during times of war or any other crises, people become very politically active and aware, or at least they used to.

So why has America become so politically apathetic?

My hypothesis is that since so much more power has been transfered from local and state government to the federal government, people feel that they have little say. Here is some giant monolith that is the federal government, and people look and go, "what the hell can I do?" In the past, when states had more power, it seems that people were more politically active.

Of course, there are other x factors, but I think this is a major reason.

so, is my theory sound or poppycock?
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: My theory on why political participation in the US is low

My belief is it has always been this low, just more noticeable due to the creation of mass media.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by The Man With No Name View Post
    My belief is it has always been this low, just more noticeable due to the creation of mass media.

that is very possible.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

And because everyone doesn't trust the government. So why vote for something that you don't trust in? Most presidential candidates suck so people don't get interested in deciding on which sucker they want to vote for. I vote (I voted in the last presidential election) and from what I've observed from my friends that don't vote, they don't seem to simply have enough care about it all. It is weird how people have strong opinions on topics and yet don't act on them.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

It's because most people are lazy.

It's because things aren't that bad.
    Say what you want, but life in the first world today is just dandy and doesn't require any radical changes to keep functioning.
    The concept of someone in the US starving is ridiculous.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

i think its more of a case of that the parties are no longer different anymore, it doesnt matter who you vote for the policys are the same more or less, so whats the point?

we also know nothing but democracy and have not had our democracy threatened for along time so people dont see the point any more.

i think its 3 fold:

there arent many new frontiers of liberty to expound upon. there is now real need for unions and working standards, so people arent so focused on improving the big things. the issues are mostly above peoples heads these days.

poor leadership. simply put good charismatic leaders inspire people, and yea we havent had one of those in a while

people just dont have time or care to dig deep into the issues that largely dont effect them. most americans are moderates, and these are the silent majority whose voices are pretty much left out before both of the extremes should so loud that the moderates cant be heard. the minorities are basically taking over, and these are the ones who vote and demonstrate.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I pearsonally think that voter participation would be much higher if voting was determined by if you served or not.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Its because political efficacy has been on the decline since WWII. Too much **** has happened for people to actually believe in the government anymore.

Not to mention we are a rather apathetic society in general.

i think its more of a case of that the parties are no longer different anymore, it doesnt matter who you vote for the policys are the same more or less, so whats the point?
    That's not true at all.
    The thing is, we just had 12 years of the Republican controlled congress end last year, so Clinton didn't even bother trying to govern as a leftist, and George Bush has already had more than his share of barely tolerable acts, so nothing is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by RusskiSoldat View Post
    That's not true at all.
    The thing is, we just had 12 years of the Republican controlled congress end last year, so Clinton didn't even bother trying to govern as a leftist, and George Bush has already had more than his share of barely tolerable acts, so nothing is being done.
    Well Clinton was a New Democrat, I only wish there were more of them. Very atypical of democrats, but very distinct from the Republican party.

The government has been shown to not work even when you active participation so people have just given up.

Congress has an approval perpetually in the 20%s, no matter what the election outcomes are its always low. They dont do anything, they have no idea what they are doing, so people just are simply fed up.

Many are just willing to lick a boot and be enslaved by a dictatorship as well.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.