Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Standard Good or Bad ?

Default Gold Standard Good or Bad ?

Gold Standard Good or Bad ?

Conclusion

Although the last vestiges of the gold standard disappeared in 1971, its appeal is still strong. Those who oppose giving discretionary powers to the central bank are attracted by the simplicity of its basic rule. Others view it as an effective anchor for the world price level. Still others look back longingly to the fixity of exchange rates. However, despite its appeal, many of the conditions which made the gold standard so successful vanished in 1914. In particular, the importance that governments attach to full employment means that they are unlikely to make maintaining the gold standard link and its corollary, long-run price stability, the primary goal of economic policy.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Default Re: Gold Standard Good or Bad ?

bad

Wow no one has anything to say. Looks like these people did

Should We Go back to Using Gold as Money?

It covers both sides as its in debate form and their addressing an actual author .
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

Fiat money is a disaster waiting to happen.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

To me it looks like fiat money gives you short term stability with a crash at the end while the gold standard does not give you short stability but long term stability.

Although I agree with Rush on this i'm still waiting for the disaster.

That is one of the many reasons why the dollar is falling i believe. So many things at once are in play to screw the worth of the dollar over that a disaster is inevitable at this rate. Ridiculous debt and deficit spending, fake money, hugely unbalanced trade, and i'm sure more reasons are all a factor that will cause this. Everything to do with the economy and the way money is generally handled in this country is going to backfire one of these days. Its a train wreck waiting to happen.
    Last edited by Kanaric; October 12, 2007 at 04:35 AM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Hey look what I found

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 1of7

This next one is so true

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 2of7

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 3of7

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 4of7

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 5of7

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 6of7

1983: Ron Paul Debates Federal Reserve Governor on the gold standard 7of7
    Last edited by Rush Limbaugh; October 12, 2007 at 11:45 PM.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Can't believe he believes in the austrian business cycle theory...
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Can't believe he believes in the austrian business cycle theory...
    The Fed guy is basically saying let the bankers make the rates and the money not some shmucks out there prospecting. Their problem with the gold standard is they cant manipulate it.

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

Hey JP I have a question.

Did Nixon's decision to get off the gold standard have anything to do with the stagflation we experienced under Jimmy Carter?
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Did Nixon's decision to get off the gold standard have anything to do with the stagflation we experienced under Jimmy Carter?
    No, that was more a fiscal spending issue. Keyensians don't quite understand the whole crowding out effect.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Unnecessary and not viable for an information based economy (what we should be working towards).
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

If your money ain't based off of gold, what the hell is it based off of?

Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Trust
    Yeah, that'll hold forever.

If your money ain't based off of gold, what the hell is it based off of?
    What's gold based off of? It's a shiny metal. Unless you dig it out of a mountain, then it's a dirty silver color.

The technical value of dollars comes from the ability to pay you back. It's an IOU. But that's not really true anymore, that went out the window when we threw the GS away all together. Now the value of dollars is based off the demand for those dollars. The demand for those dollars is based off the true value of that dollar. It's confusing, but if this dollar is really a dollar then it's more valuable then say a lebanese pound that is a pound today and equal to a fraction of that same pound tomorrow.

It's the stability of the currency that brings so much value to it. The US has never defaulted and it is a risk free investment. Therefore so many people want dollars and that in turn boosts the strength of that dollar.

And if we were to fall on hard times?

Sosobra's Avatar Domesticus

Why gold why not platinum or HE-3? The fact that gold is consider a standard shows the backwardnesses of the idea.

Trust is a heck of alot better than oooo shiny metal factor.
    Last edited by Sosobra; October 13, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    I find most people irritating
    SteamID:Sosobra

And if we were to fall on hard times?
    we'd have to have a pretty big damn bubble to hit a "correction" that would force us to fall on times that hard. ANd then it'd have to be years if not decades of falling future values. Every bust has a boom and every boom has a bust, investors know this. The interest rates would naturally fix or prevent such an occurance.

And even then the US still has the political and militarily stable bonus. Your money is and always will be safest here.

in theory it's possible, in reality it's unlikely.

Gold is more than just shiny metal. Platinum is shiny metal, too, for your info. What really makes a good a valuable good is how much value people give to it. Basing your currency on a valuable good, not necessarily just gold, is not an entirely stupid decision.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast