Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy Kingdoms?

Marto's Avatar Semisalis

Icon5 Should I buy Kingdoms?

Hi,

Just looking for opinions please.

I'm really enjoying playing LTC 3.1 at the moment but am always interested in Lusted's next production. As far as I know, to play 4.0, I'll need to buy Kingdoms...?

Does Kingdoms offer anything that will really be worth getting? I'm quite happy with the Vanilla (1.2) framework and LTC 3.1 as I only ever play the Grand Campaign.

Cheers
    It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.

Plato

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Should I buy Kingdoms?

Buy

Papal_Knight's Avatar Biarchus

I agree in theory, but I am in his shoes (waiting on LTC 4.0 to buy Kingdoms), and my only concern is that it seems there is no Grand Campaign in LTC 4, that it's replaced by some 3 other mini campaigns.

did I read that right? :hmmm: Cause like him, I play the grandies.

Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I agree in theory, but I am in his shoes (waiting on LTC 4.0 to buy Kingdoms), and my only concern is that it seems there is no Grand Campaign in LTC 4, that it's replaced by some 3 other mini campaigns.
    They're not mini campaigns, the Grand Campaign is replaced by 3 Eras campaigns, Early, High and Late like there were in MTW, all using the Grand Campaign map. All Campaigns will be available from a Campaign option in the single player menu to replace the Custom Campaigns, Norman Prologue and Grand Campaign options. This will then bring up a list of all the campaigns in the mod.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

ah! thanks for the clarification. sounds cool! I liked those campaign arrangements in MTW1. sweet!

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

In addition to the excellent LtC, the campaigns in Kingdoms are actually a lot of fun... I would say buy if you have the spare cash...

ImKyleJames's Avatar Semisalis

I just got kingdoms myself, and im coming back to the foums in anticipation of Lusted's new baby. I haven't played MTW2 in so long and these new campaigns are excellent! Gives the game a whole new feel, i mean sometimes starting on that huge map makes me bored just thinking about it, but these cool setups keep me playing!

Oh and it's 4 "mini" campaigns. Americas, Brittania, Crusades, and Teutonic. Interesting stuff!!

Buy it. Most upcoming mods will feature kingdom content, and you will need kingdoms in order to use them.

My Home is my Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKyleJames View Post
    I just got kingdoms myself, and im coming back to the foums in anticipation of Lusted's new baby. I haven't played MTW2 in so long and these new campaigns are excellent! Gives the game a whole new feel, i mean sometimes starting on that huge map makes me bored just thinking about it, but these cool setups keep me playing!

Oh and it's 4 "mini" campaigns. Americas, Brittania, Crusades, and Teutonic. Interesting stuff!!

your post just convinced me to buy it right now over steam.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Papal_Knight View Post
    your post just convinced me to buy it right now over steam.

+1
    Unless you bought the original game on steam, don't buy kingdoms on steam!

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

i'd say buy!
    the americas campaign is really great, but i also like the crusades and the teutonic campaign.
    but i think britannia isn't that great, more 08/15......

so it's great ( in 75%....., but you should really buy it, it's a good add on, one of the best and if not THE best TW series ever had)

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier View Post
    Unless you bought the original game on steam, don't buy kingdoms on steam!
    how come? :hmmm:

ironically, when I fired up steam I had the dreaded "steam updating" lock-up screen, that required a hard re-boot to clear. seeing that as an ominous sign, I did not get it just then, an instead played another 20+ hours of MTW2 (LTC 3.1).

How long is each campaign? A similar length to a short campaign in original MTW2? What's the replay value like (factoring mods as well)?
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Americas 180 turns all other 200-275 turns. Lots of turns to play and feels like Lusted LTC but you can still charge heavy calvary on spearmens (not recomended but you can do it).

@ Papal, lol, well i hope you get it anyway, even if you have to go into town!

@SoC As for the length they're THANKFULLY pretty long(THOUGH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ONE EXTENDED!! "Lusted"). I was scared at first i'd see like 125 or 200 but thankfully they're all about 275 or so. The Teutonic Campaign is 300 or so as well.

After playing a bit now i'm really enjoying the game, you get alot more chance to focus on different and cooler aspects of the game. Like in my Brittania campaign as the Irish, Scotland and Wales were teamed up against first Britain and then me. It came down to Scotland vs Ireland and man what an epic battle that was. I mean I lost ground, gained it and lost it, armies like the cool armies of our dreams came down after me. Anyway im about to start that oh so cool looking teutonic campaign.. those units look AWESOME!

The BEST part of the game so far:

well, this is two-fold cause one might be just the patch for the regular game. FIRST: YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR AI REINFORCEMENTS?!?! YES!!! That's right you can tell them to hold off, attack or get in range of the cannons. You can back up the general, tell them to move and set up over on this hill or sit back in the trees and watch your back. I tell you what this just made my day, i mean no more taking in 3,000-5,000 men as reinforcements only to screw around and ruin everything you're trying to do. ("WHY ARE YOU STILL SITTING THERE!? HELP ME!!" or "DAMMIT DONT CHARGE THE SPEARS WITH YOUR GENERAL!! ...**** he was a good one too")

Second: LOTS of little tweaks on each campaign. Like on Brittania you start out with little forts everywhere and they don't dissapear when you leave them for a while either. Cosmetic changes are awesome too. The area you're playing in looks like the area you're playing in, what do you call that? flare? eh, well something to do with culture and there's alot of it. basically there's a bunch of cool new stuff to keep you happy for plenty of time to come, and i can't WAIT to see what lusted does with it.

Oh also, in the Campaigns you can be a nice selection of Factions, but not all of them all the time, but still plenty. Oh and nice little triggers for historical reasons and they provide a nice twist. Like in Brittania that Norweigen King shows up in the Isles with a fleet ready to mess you up, and the King of England will go on a crusade in the Holy land.. but watch out when he comes back, he brings goodies!

nice post man, sounds cool. I think I will try again (w/the steam d/l of Kingdoms) when I get home from the office today. beer in hand, of course!

I hope you get it! Im happier about it the more I play it, I mean it's just what i was looking for in some Total War. Yea the whole world is fun to conquer, but specializing in a certain one is just cool! Especially when it's expanded and more detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKyleJames View Post
    I hope you get it! Im happier about it the more I play it, I mean it's just what i was looking for in some Total War. Yea the whole world is fun to conquer, but specializing in a certain one is just cool! Especially when it's expanded and more detailed.
    at 55% d/l right now via steam. second beer is cracked & poured. I am ready.

well you better work fast if you want a 6-pack in by the time it finishes... doing so is highly reccommended!

also, check out Stainless Steel when u get it done, but oh yea play it regular first, but when i get home im gonna install this SS. Downloading at work is Sooooo much faster :O

it's at 62% now, holding at roughly 1MB/sec. Dinner with the wife and kids is sure to interrupt shortly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast