Thread: Reinforcements

Default Reinforcements

Whenever I get reinforcements on the campaign map, I turn off "allow these units to be controlled by the AI." But it still never fails that the reinforcements are controlled by the AI. I don't know whether this is a particular issue with this mod, or with RTW in general, but it's cost me one of my best generals () and it basically makes the battles much harder and laggier than they have to be. Is there any workaround or fix to this?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Re: AI Reinforcements

Yes, in preferences.txt unchleck "allow unlimited men in the battlefield"
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

The trouble isn't the extra men showing up on the battlefield, the problem is that when they show up, they aren't under my control. I'd understand if I didn't have room in my stack, but that isn't the case.

I don't want 5 cohorts under AI control when I have my 10 cohorts on the field already, because the AI does a lot of stupid things with them- like running them into phalanxes, for example. And then I have to deal with the aftermath. I would rather those 5 cohorts just stay at home. Is there any way to stop the AI from jacking my command?

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

It's an RTW bug, but there is an easy work-around. Just click the box on and off a few times and then leave it on whatever you want.

The computer AI is so stupid with my reinforcments. It almost causes me to rip my hair out. I have been playing as the Scythians, and giving the AI control of some of my troops has never seemed more worthless. In my last battle in which this occurred, i had already spread out a full Macedonian army. I only had about 500 men to the Macedonian's almost 2,000. So i badly needed my AI to help me out. So as my horse archers were occupied, i watched as the AI stormed in with my other army. A couple of horse archer units stayed back and skirmished. The other remaining horse archers just blatently charged into the Macedonians spearmen and Phalanxes. Un-freakin-believable! I mean seriously, it's not worth giving the drunken AI control over your hard earned armies.

Another bad thing is when you use armies like the Greeks, the AI will just rush your general's calvalry into the enemy troops leaving his infantry in the dust while he runs off in a suicidal charge. The only time i'll let the computer use my armies in that situation is if i know the enemy will be routing by the time my AI controlled generals will arrive to the scene of the battle. Otherwise your asking for general suicide.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Sometimes I trail a bunch of mercs behind a main army and let the AI control them, it at least creates a lot of confusion for the enemy AI...
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Cheap, expendable units, that can opperate with some independence are good for that sort of thing. Thureophoroi, or other cheap spear units work OK.

The only time I do this is when I am going up against superior troops with inferior quality troops and I feel like I need an advantage in numbers. Otherwise I hold back reinforcement columns, and just use them to make up losses after battles.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; July 16, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Yeah, usually I do it when I can see consecutive stacks on the horizon and I can throw in a few units of warband or thureophoi just to mess with 'em...

It actually came back to bite me once, the enemy charged ALL their cavalry at my reinforcements and routed them, they then wheeled on my left flank and demolished the backs of my archers, thoraks and hoplites...
    It was like slow motion, they came charging out of the woods like Russell Crowe in Gladiator...lol
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Do not right-click on the enemy army to see the units before the battle starts. Uncheck the box then go right into the battle

Default Reinforcements

AI Always controls my reinforcements even when i leave box unchecked , its not only this mod but some others too.How to fix this ?

Default Re: Why is Ai always reinforcements

I get that problem too. I find that turning it on and off a few times before leaving it as "off" tends to help. Admittedly, I could just be imagining things and it's still doing the same thing.

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

I've noticed if theres a family member in the reinforcing army you can't control it. It might be hard coded, I'm not really sure.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

It's a vanilla bug. Just check and uncheck the box a few times and it will work OK.

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

My reinforcements as well as the enemy ones are always delayed. Is this something in the mod?

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm:

no, that's not a bug

there's just too many units on the scene, once you've wiped out / routed a few of them, the reinforcements will show up.

Ephialtes The Dog's Avatar Vicarius
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp View Post
    no, that's not a bug

there's just too many units on the scene, once you've wiped out / routed a few of them, the reinforcements will show up.
    I'm not so sure about that, because I had about 1000 men against a larger stack but before I could attack a smaller force of about a 100 men attacked me befeore the bigger stack could. So the battle was my 1000 against the 100 and the enemies reinforcments were delayed and my comp can handle about 2500 at a time on the field. Needless to say I routed the enemies 100 men with no casualties of my own. My point is that my comp could have handled my stack and the enemies stack with no problems.
    "So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show."

-Del Preston

Ephialtes The Dog: Poulp is correct - the game calculates how many men your comp can handle, and it usually under-estimates by quite a lot. You can switch this behavior off with a setting in [Rome]/xgm/preferences/preferences.txt. I forget what the setting is called but I think its something obvious like "delay_reinforcements".

Unknown Soldier's Avatar Ducenarius

Ah so its a "feature"

Fix the problem, not the blame!

XGM Diplomacy AAR - intelligence and voting
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...24#post3680924 :hmmm: