Thread: Translating German

Juggernawt's Avatar Semisalis

Default Translating German

I was wondering if anyone could give me a decent translation of these 2 texts, both found on and inside a medieval church near where I live. Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Translating German

the second one means something like this:
    what god wants, has to be, even if heaven and earth melt away because of it.

i don't know how to say it better in english

i'm sorry but i can't really read the first one :hmmm:

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Wow, that's difficult.

I try a transcription of 1 first:

Anno 1622, den 8 Febr ist der edler gestrenger / Erenu(ert?)ester und Manhaffter Conradt Oxkuell(=Uexküll, Lettland) / von padenor (?) Erhgeselle(n) auff steninge(n) Ko. (königlich?) Ma. / zu(m) Schwe. bestalter Rittmeister in gott entschlaffen.

Can't really translate this one for you, since many words are names of places that are unclear to me (padenor/steningen), but it's an epitaph for the "noble, austere, most honorable and manly" Conrad of Uexküll (Latvia) of [something else], who was a cavalry captain, probably royal service, and died peacefully Feb. 8, 1622.
    Last edited by joerd9; October 22, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

Juggernawt's Avatar Semisalis

Ah, excellent. Many thanks!
    Had terrible luck with reading the script on the 2nd one. The whole f/s thing really confuses. Steninge is a castle not far from here so the information is really usefull!

Quote Originally Posted by joerd9 View Post
    Can't really translate this one for you, since many words are names of places that are unclear to me (padenor/steningen), but it's an epitaph for the "noble, austere, most honorable and manly" Conrad of Uexküll (Latvia) of [something else], who was a cavalry captain, probably royal service, and died peacefully Feb. 8, 1622.
    "Uexkill" was the German name for the Latvian city of Ikšķile. It was a fortress and trading centre of the Teutonic knights in the Middle Ages.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Ikšķile is a Livonian name to be more precise, meaning One Village, the Baltic-German noble family carried the German version Uexkuell/Üxküll.

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

The f/s thing is actually rather simple. S comes as a straight line with a hook to the right on top. F, while looking similar, has a short horizontal bar in the upper third. They're easy to distinguish in inscriptions, it's manuscripts where things can get messy...

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

I'll ask my german professor. He studies germanic languages from a wide range in history.

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

pfffffff... it is very difficult to decypher the first text

something about an event wich happened to some Conrad on February 8th 1622. I think I can identify adjectives wich describe the mentioned Conrad as noble, austere and manful/brave and he seems to have beared the title of an Rittmeister wich was an military rank. The last word seems to be "entschlaffen" so I guess the mentioned Conrad, probably a soldier or a noble, died peacefully at this place on the mentioned date.

The second one is easy to read but I have yet to think about what it actualy means.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time