Thread: Eagle Standard Volume VI Issue I

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Default Re: First ES issue

Well, it appears its down to me to kick off this Volume of the Eagle Standard, the sixth I believe. A difficult role for me to fill, I freely admit; and before we start I would like to acknowledge the aid that all the TW moderators, makanyane, Professor420, Halie, and Lusted have given me in getting this together for you, as well (of course) as gigagaia, the Content Manager. Now, I know you don't want to be reading this more than you have to - you probably get less pleasure reading it than I do writing it, if that's even possible! - so let's get onto the articles!

Empire: Total War Discussion by Empress Meg
    Medieval II: Total War General Discussion by Kalos
    Rome: Total War General Discussion by ~The Doctor~
    An Interview with Riothamus by Narses
    Broken Crescent Mod by Sextus Loverlord
    Sympathy for the Pixels by dtjw
    Pictures of the Weeks

As you can see, an action-packed issue is ahead of you; we start with the upcoming ETW game. Speculation is, of course, rife and a rich area of discussion was handled superlatively by Empress Meg at an impassioned plea from me; I don't hold with the best-til-last theory, so here it is.
    Empire: Total War Discussion
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    E:TW General Discussion Forum

The dust has died down; the combatants resting from the foray into new territory and the lines has been drawn. CA’s newly previewed Empire: Total War has brought a ton of new questions, theories, hypotheses, and concepts to the fore. While it does have it detractors, Empire is certainly causing a buzz on the forums.

Since the first few hectic weeks have died down, people have begun to take an increased interest in the historical aspects of the games. Community members have outlined their favorite factions or posted their ideal uniform composition and even decided to talk about facial hair of all things. In an attempt to demonstrate the largess of the speculatory questions posed in the forums, I’ve collected a few samples of the more popular or bizarre threads for the casual TWC reader.

On the main forum board the thread How will you change history? has been moving up and down the first couple of pages for some time now. Answers have ranged from becoming “the new Napoleon” by Beren Arnatuilë to invading “India for the hell of it” from The Man With No Name. It appears that even though E:TW is a long way off, people have desires for world domination. They have every right to, from what we are able to gather from the limited info CA has released, Empire’s campaign map is said to encompass a larger spread of the world map then the previous game in the series. How it will be implemented is anyone’s guess of course. Incendentally, if you are interested in the map itself, check out The Empire Total War Map thread.

A thread that has been getting a lot of traffic is slightly comical in its detail and nit-picking. To ensure that history is not compromised in Empires, a plea has been sent out to CA to watch their – mustaches. (Cue the laughing or sighing now.) Yes facial hair may not be top priority on many people’s lists, but modders and history buffs can well understand the detail required of making a game feel just right. Facial hair as well as braids and hair queues have significance in this era. Many armies required their foot-slogging soldiers to powder and queue their hair in just such a way as to look prim and pretty for battles and inspections. Men who were in elite units, grenadiers, carabiniers, cuirassiers and so on, were allowed to wear facial hair or even made to wear “pigtails” to show off their elevated status to the rest of the army and their enemies. While “big whoop” might be the best response to this thread, I recommend a quick glance over it for sheer enjoyment and its somewhat peculiar topic. You never know, you may want to bring back a hairstyle or two. Mustaches thread for CA

Did you feel slightly empty as far as diplomacy and political interactions went in RTW and M2TW? Felt that your ally was a back-stabber and good for nothing? Did you want something more from your faction heir? Did you enjoy rebellions just to allow for some spunk it your otherwise drab diplomatic life? These folks felt the same way and are discussing what Empire will offer to those who want more depth in their empire management. In a republics faction leader & Generals community members are trying to figure out how the diplomatic situations during this time frame are going to work. Two major revolutions happened during this time period (The French and American) to throw down the long institutionalized monarchies of the past era and games. CA’s Empire Total War will have to tread delicately and with more attention to micromanagement as far as the ruling powers that be are concerned. How will revolution be handled in E:TW? totalwarrior007 believes that, “if a city or cities rebel in say [F]rance, they would become the [R]epublic of [F]rance, then there would be two [F]rench factions, a kingdom and republic, both with there own leaders and diplomacy.” An interesting suggestion, but where does that leave the AI and can the new engine handle such things? It reminds me of Medieval Total war (the first one) when an unruly prince could revolt and take half of your empire just because he could!
    Another question that has come up due to these rebellions asks how Republics will work in the game. Republics generally elect their leaders; they are not born into the position of state, though this can of course be argued elsewhere. So, how will E:TW mimic this with factions like the fledging Americas? Will the Colonials be able to rule themselves? Will a George Washington figure still be able to fight battles even though most US presidents did not lead their troops in smoke and screams of war? Will they be quill pushers or sword wavers? Ahiga has this to say about Republic faction leaders, “what would be interesting is to have him [the faction leader] be an AI-controlled character. One who gives your Generals orders much like the Pope did. It doesn't seem viable for a Leader of a Republic to lead battles - I imagine there are exceptions, but it would seem peculiar.”

One last thread from the Empire General Discussion forum might prove useful to those who feel Empire might have a very sterile or drab feel to it due to its lack of unit types. An ambitious Destraex is collecting unit rosters in ETW Potential Unit List - please add yours.
    While it is true that you can only have so many different types of dudes with guns, it is surprising the amount of variations of artillery, horsemen and infantry units the 1700 and 1800’s managed to pump out. In the tradition of CA, we’ll have plenty to choose from, with the larger nations having more varied units of course and the smaller nations less as proportionate to their resources. I will wager to say that there will be a very wide selection of units to choose from. Look the list over and see what the unit rosters might be in E:TW and feel free to add your own historical unit to the mix.

Here are a few other threads that might perk your interest-
    **For those of you who have your doubts about Empire Total War and want to express your views as to why the game will never met your exceptions join in to the conversation in the following thread. Be warned, it seems like you might be outnumbered, but then again it is early days!
    Doubts about longevity and replayability
    Rather weird era for the game ?

**Every TW forum has this one, so might as well help you find it easier.  What is your favorite faction? True, you cannot play the game to figure this out, but if you were going to give E:TW a try, what faction would you prefer?
    Your favorite faction?

**Want to actually see what warfare was like in these days? Check out this thread that is wholly dedicated to short video clips of guys getting their limps shattered and guts splayed out in their gaily coloured uniforms.
    short movies to get you in an Empire mood.

E:TW Historical Discussion Forum

In light of so much information being posted on Empire Total War, a subforum was created to house the technical and historically based articles. The Historical Research Center forum features faction threads and explanations of troop types along with the occasional “what if?” or supposition remarks. This forum has also given birth to two specific boards: Wars and Battles and Ships and Naval Power.

One of the most promising threads in terms of debate is The Slave Trade in E:TW This thread is one of the forerunners for good discussion. It is not only a what if slavery will make an appearance in Empire Total War question, but also a heated but polite debate as far as the moral issues are concerned. We have seen after all that both RTW and M2TW have incorporated the means of human bondage into the trade aspect, but will Empire take this further and make it a paramount issue? King Arsen muses, “Im sure that you will be given the options to either slaughter the enemy, show them mercy ... or just use them and earn profit. Maybe even something else more in depth that they include as a new feature.” morteduzionism worries that, “somebody is going to try and be...PC...about the issue”. So it’s fairly divided right now as far as how in-depth the slave trade will be in Empire.
    However, this thread is ideal for those folks who are curious to see what happens to the slave trade during this time period. These are the times when men began to realize how cruel and foul the slave trade was, but also a time when money, territorial gain and trade were coming to the fore of political ambitions. Money talked but so too did the small but dedicated group of individuals who wanted freedom for all human kind. One of the most unprecedented cases for the abolition of slavery occurred during this time and made an already distinguished English Judge into a key and, if I may say, legendary figure.

Would you rather discuss something lighter? How about looking over the very decorative Let's discuss...UNIFORMS!!! thread? Anything from puffy pantaloons to powder wigs or buckled shoes and cravats can be found here. While these guys may not be knights in shinning armour ready to hack into a foeman, they do express the national pride armies began to feel at this time. Before this era, lorded gentry who could dress their men any way they wished controlled armies. In the time of Empire, uniforms really meant uniformed. Unit began to think as a cohesive unit as men began to dress in the same get-ups as their comrades. The money was being paid not by their colonel but by their nation. Food, provisions and mess kits were “sold” to them via national depots and uniforms were produced by the nation. Of course as with anything, the styles changed over time to incorporate the latest fashion, the whim of a king’s mistress or the colonel’s tastes. But in any of these cases there was still a strict rule to be followed. As always, please be respectful when you post pictures and include any citation necessary.

There are too many faction threads to go over, just know that if you have a particular favorite faction from the Medieval or even Roman era there is a good chance that history lovers and the occasional novice researcher are already hard at work dissecting the relevant history. Spain, Prussia, Portugal, France, Sweden and Poland all have their threads. If you are curious about some of the more unique, I am very careful to not say “small” here, nations have also cropped up. The Barbary States, Ayutthaya/Siamese (Thailand), Morocco, and Somalis all have their mention and motley group of supporters. I will let the reader peruse the E:TW Research Forum at their leisure instead of posting all of the links here. (Unless there is a demand from the populace!)

A soldier’s life is not an easy one. You are away from your home and family, the food is poor, days are long and death is closer in this profession then in most others. The same goes for the boys in Empire. These guys had to fight and die like any other solider, but The Sword of Cao Cao wonders, “ what techniques [a] soldier during this era used to survive’? A great question since, as he mentioned, troopers did not have the protection of shields like they did in RTW or M2TW. How then did a man live in the ranks when separated only by 50 yards or so with hundreds of muskets leveled at him? Go to the How did a soldier survive in this era? thread to find out more.

That’s it for now folks. I hope that you have gotten a general idea as to what your fellow forum members have to say about Empire. If you are not into the glory and guts of this era, then perhaps a few of these threads might have perked your interest. If not, more’s the pity! For now, it appears that most TWC members a quite happy to hoist the eagles or black flags and ride into glory with sabres wavering and cannons thundering in the background.

After that tour de force I am loathe to post another article, but they were so eager to send them to me, and such good quality writers, that I could hardly say no now, could I? Especially after all the pleading... So now, Kalos' excellent article on the M2TW General Discussion area.
    Medieval II: Total War General Discussion
    Can you believe they’re letting me right this? *Audience murmurs* Yeah, I can too. Now! On to business!

The most recent Picture of the Week competition is a very close race; with *cough* myself in the lead! Ok that’s enough about myself for today. Another cool thread going on in the Picture of the Week forums is a recreation of The Battle of Pelennor Fields, using the LOTR Mod for Rome Total War, which is being released soon, according to the discussion in the thread. Check out these Mumakil!

As you might have heard, there have been some rather interesting developments going down in the Medieval II: General Discussion, that have led to the creation of a “Democracy Game”. To get an idea of what this is, here’s a fragment of what the proposal for this idea contained.

“It was easy to have a lot of people vote and put forth proposals to see what will happen in the actual game with elected representatives to fulfil the approved proposals in certain departments(eg:micromanagement and battles) and the post a report and saved game for everyone to review. Everything was poll related so there was no one person who could alter the outcome without everyone's approval. It was amazing to see how good a game could perform with so many minds determining the outcome of the next turn and cool roleplay that people participated in to make the game more of an adventure.”

If you are interested in joining the Democracy Game, check out this thread : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122555

*Clears throat and talks in a deep voice* In other news, there has been a recent rise in interest over the Medieval 2 credits song – “We Are All One”. A music video on YouTube containing scenes from Kingdom of Heaven has been made for this song, and the lyrics are included in the description!

An online hotseat Teutonic campaign for Kingdoms is asking for people to join but seats are going fast! Only the HRE is left. The host wants people to know that “ you have to add me on your MSN (Leonidas@mail.nu) and be online on it during most days.” The campaign is being hosted at http://www.miydai.com/index.php?board=179.0

A short and sweet article, to follow something long. Now, we get something in between, an article on the RTW area, something that whilst a past game is still highly popular, from ~The Doctor~;
    Rome: Total War General Discussion
    Introducing the new reporter on the Rome: Total War General Discussion.... its.... ~The Doctor~!

Yes, thank you, anonymous voice. To start this issue's roundup:

The Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign has finally been completed, after a month of play. Congratulations to Axeman, Severous, Kamos32 and Selifator for an excellent AAR. You guys have skill, I personally look forward to more from you!

Don't worry, a new Succession Campaign has started, this time focusing on the Saxons.

Now, shameless self promotion over, I'll delve into some discussions that I have not been a part of.

Barbarian_Prince brings us an excellent piece on his adventures at the World Cyber Gaming Tournament. But what's this...?

Unfortunately, R:TW was not a WCG game.

Sacrilege!

But what truly mattered was seeing how good gamers act, play, and of course, how a professional tourney was ran.

I couldn't have put it better myself. Go check it out, it's a great read, even if you're not into Starcraft.

The Tips and Tricks thread continues in providing useful advice to Total War players. My personal favourite, posted by mrdun:

When playing as Germania (or Gaul/ Britain), have controlled expansion-
    Over northern Europe there is numerous rivers which you can have as natural borders for your empire.

Such as the Danube and Rhine. If you want historical accuracy, that's where your expansion as the Romans should end. Then again, if you're playing vanilla, it's not exactly historical, is it?

The Egypt vs Rome: Who will win? thread has been brought back from the dead. An interesting discussion on the more powerful army, I suggest you take a peek. On an unrelated note, Oman has started another thread, this time focusing on the Romans vs the Britons. Personally, I think the British are going to be crushed underneath the hob-nailed boots of the legionaries, but feel free to add your two cents.

There are so many AARs in the sub-forum, I was forced to bring you a choice three:

On Europe's Roads; Sir William Abercromby

Horton III has outdone himself. It's simply wonderful, and I can't wait to read the rest of it. More to the point, I can't wait for NTW3, which hopefully will have a campaign map..

The Battle of Waterloo - The 51st

Yes, another NTW2 AAR! It's a conspiracy, I tell you! It's superbly written, more like a history essay than an AAR. I'm guessing warluster owns a few Paradox games...

Rise of Empires - A multiplayer AAR.

So, why did I include this AAR?

The player who was Macedon has quit, so now it is just me and Paul D. We have put the AAR parts in spoilers in order to make navigation easier.

Do you know who the Macedon Player was? Yep, it was me. So why did I quit? I just didn't have the time - and the distance didn't help. Still, Rasui Runihana and Paul D have done a wonderful job, and I read recently that they've recruited someone to take my place. So I look forward to reading the ensuing updates.

Well, that's that from me. I'll see you next time. And remember, if you want to keep me working, post in the Rome:Total War forum!

~The Doctor~

And our interview this issue is by the indefatigable Narses, with Riothamus, a well-established modder. I shall let him tell them rest of the story!
    An Interview with Riothamus
    Narses interviewing Riothamus

This is my first interview for the Eagle Standard and the interview is with Riothamus - the Creator of Rio's IBFD, a mod for Barbarbarian Invasion.

Tell us a bit about yourself

I'm from America, Providence RI. to be specific. love sports, dogs, and historical video games. I'm a devout Patriots fan, and so is my girlfriend Louise, and I'm a dog lover. I have a huge 130 pound Rhodesian Ridge back that tries to track down any living creature(deer, wood chucks, and coyote) within the 150+acre park. I have been a student of history. I loved reading about ancient kingdoms ever since I could read. Eventually I would graduate from Providence College with a Masters of Arts in European history.

How did you start modding?

After coming across Ice Torques BI WaRMap and Attila Reloaded's units on the RTW forum I quickly became interested in how to mod. Ramon and the IBFD team very soon after took over and continued to make the mod even better. I thought, man if I could only incorporated Ice Torques BI WaRMap and use Ramons IBFD units, the mod would be special. After posting my successful progress on the IBFD forums Ramon graciously asked me to use the mod(Rio IBFD 463AD Mod) as a submod for the 5.0 IBFD mod and this is how I began the endless task of modding.

Tell us a bit about Rio's IBFD and how it is different from Invasio Barbarorum.

The Rio Mod is different in many aspects from the Invasio Barbarorum 5.0 to the current 7.3. The Rio Mod has two campaigns. The first starts in 432AD and the other is the original 463AD campaign. The map is larger and focuses its attention more on the Western Roman Empire. Also I use many of Agraes ATW units. They add extensively to many of the western factions. Rio Mod cities are either Capitals, military or economic.

What features of your mod make it stand out from others?

What I think makes Rio mod unique or stands out from other mods are two things. The first is that the mod has two campaigns and that they are situated at the very end of the Western Roman empires history. Playing the 463AD campaign is extremely hard due to the historical circumstances of the time. The second campaign that starts in 432AD has a huge Hunnic faction on the Roman boarders. Not a campaign for the easily intimidated The second thing I think stands out is the cities functions.

Military cities are vital to produce the best armour and elite units. The economic cities become the arteries to pay for the armies, and the capital city is the heart and soul of the faction.
    With this system the player must now strategies on what cities to conquer and what cities are vital to defend. To cap it off this is played out on an epic sized map, that creates a memorable experience.

In your mod which is your favourite faction?

I'm Romano British Faction fan. They are sort of exotic. I guess this is do to the semi historical Arthur.(and my western education) It can be difficult not to over emphasize the importance of this faction but never the less its fun to do it just a bit. Franks are my second favorite.

What type of TW player are you? (e.g. do you play agressivly or do you wait to build up your economy and forces then attack)

I'm a type of player who likes to be aggressive if the faction was historically aggressive and I like building things, the economy and so forth if the faction was that way. Its determined by the civilizations disposition. I think I like more than not starting off aggressive and then slowing down to build.

When will the next version of Rio's IBFD be released?

I have a Rio VI coming out very soon. Its in the final testing stage now.

What new features will be included in it?

Narses Justinian mod will be available for download as one of the provincial campaigns for the Rio VI mod. Some of the new features will be Client Kingdoms, Satrapy units, new economy features and buildings such as the Byzantine Sacred Palace and the Sassanid Ghal'eh Dokhtar fortress along with newer IBFD units.
    Magio, Legion III Augusta, DavidHarvey1 Oswald Oswald von Wolkenstein and recently Hohenlohe have been instrumental in their ideas in making the Rio Mod better.

The Justinian campaign sound good, I look forward to playing on it

So will there be a Rio's IBFD2 for M2TW?

I'm not sure of a Rio mod for MTW2. To be honest I've been focused with trying to make this mod the best it can be.

Apart from your own mod what is your favourite mod?

The mods that I like to play(rare moments when not modding) are Agraes ATW and Ramon's IBFD. Both mods are magnificent in their own ways.

Do you prefer RTW to M2TW and why?

I tried MTW2 and it hasn't yet pulled me away from rtw/bi. I'm sure my personal interest make me biased.

Apart from the TW series which is your favourite Game?

Age of Empires on line was a big favorite of mine.

Summarise your mod in 10 words

The Rio Mod is: a heroic struggle between Roman civilization and the Barbarian Darkages.

thank you for your time

Now with interviews over, I hand you over to some prolific and skillful writers on matters that pique their interest; first, Sextus Loverlord on the Broken Crescent mod. Its not released yet, but he does a good job of selling it, I must say!
    The Broken Crescent Mod: A Lesson in Middle-East Warfare
    This article is about the Broken Crescent mod and it's relevance in the changing world of the greater medieval Middle-East, an area without any central authority, loyalty, single religion and a place where the one that wields the greatest strength rules all.

Factors taken into consideration include kingdoms, Sultans, Caliphs and everything in between in the light of the upcoming Total War mod – Broken Crescent.

Overview:

The Middle-East had always been a turbulent place. Prior to the rise of Islam, the area was a constant battlefield between the Parthian/Sassanid Persians, the Egyptians and the Byzantium Romans. After the advent of Islam, the area becomes a battleground for control as Turks, Arabs, Persians, Mongols and Afghans fought for supremacy.

A Brief History of the Middle-East 1175-1400:

The history of the greater Middle-east during this time-period cannot even begin to be
    deciphered without the mention of the Turks. Though broken into different tribes that spoke different sub-languages (Chagatai, Seljuk, Uyghur etc) in Central Asia, the Turks expanded from their nomadic settlements into the Anatolian peninsula towards the West and India and Afghanistan into the East in an era of true total war.

Establishing the Delhi Sultanate in India, the Seljuk Sultanate in Arabia, the Turks bought an end to Arab (Caliphate) and Afghan (Ghorid, Ghaznavid) domination. Their peace was short-lived, however, as the drums of war were already beating in Europe and, as history stands testament, the war drums ended their beating only once the Crusaders had reached Jerusalem.

The Muslim reclamation of the so-called Holy Lands had only just ended when the Golden Horde of the Mongol Empire smashed its way through Baghdad and brought a temporary end to the power of the regional players. War pursued as warlords once again rose from Central Asia and across Arabia. The historical time-frame of this mod ends with the coming of Tamer lane, the Mongol ancestor bent on re-establishing the empire of his forefathers.

Broken Crescent – Total War in the Middle-East!

The Middle-East had no central and the people were divided into several ethnic groups. This is the perfect recipe for Total War. There was only one requirement for war – weapons. The one with the most effective army and the best generals reigned supreme. Unlike Europe, where a common religion bound most of the people and the Pope was seen as a unifying father, the Middle-East had no such luxuries.

After the fall of the initial Ummayid and Abbassid caliphates, when Arab leaders such as Khalid bin Walid, Ali bin Abu Talib and Omar bin Abdul Aziz used Arab armies to conquer as far as the Indus in India, it was the time of the outsiders. The Middle-East does not have the comfort of being surrounded by the sea or any other topographical barrier. Conquerors from as far as Mongolia could come down from the steppes to reign over their more “civilized” counterparts. Other outside forces such as those of the Turk’s, European’s, etc add more excitement to the game in the face of a stagnant “conquer the world” style Total War that most campaigns threaten to end up becoming.

Imagine a Total War time and place where you don’t care about how effective Diplomacy is because you don’t need it. Every other faction exists so that it can eliminate you and take over your empire.

Broken Crescent and the other Fan-base:

The eastern faction list in Medieval II Vanilla was very disappointing for the eastern fan base. Not only had Creative Assembly left out important factions, it seemed as though a lot of details were left out as well. On the other hand, the majority of the fan-base (European-based) could see powerful and elaborate rosters (which didn’t happen incidentally since a lot of European factions came to be known as “clone factions”).

The depth and detail added to the eastern factions is a feat in itself. Not only are the factions not clones of each other, the units chosen show the intense research carried out by the mod team.

Furthermore, Total War fans love to role-play and this mod provides every opportunity for that to happen. Though admittedly, the mod only revolves around historical accuracy, its number of factions, positioning and timing all allow for a very historically-accurate experience. Now fans of the Total War franchise who belong to anywhere from Egypt to India will have a mod in which they can role-play the characters glorified in their history books. Forget Richard the Lion-hearted or William Wallace, these are the lands of Tamer lane and Mohammad Ghori!

Now continuing with the theme of non-reports and non-interviews, but diverging somewhat, we have an oddly titled article; Sympathy for the Pixels. Even as you blow them up, on your screen, apparently some of you get a little pang of guilt, or at least dtjw does...
    Sympathy for the Pixels

Something very bizarre and wonderful happened to me while playing Medieval 2 Total War the other night.

The year is 1428 and playing as the Sicilians, I've conquered a good deal of the known world. Having pacified North Africa, I conclude that the next logical step is to retrace the steps of the Moors (a faction I had recently wiped off the map) and invade the Iberian peninsula from the south. This meant war with Spain, a minor power in my game. Through politics, tribute, and the occasional assassination I had the Catholic Church in my pocket, so most of the college of cardinals were Sicilian, as was the pope himself. Naturally inclined to see things my way, the pope excommunicated the Spanish king, isolating the Spaniards from the other kingdoms of Europe. Then at my behest a Crusade was declared against the Spanish heretics. My army, battle-tested from the campaign in North Africa and bolstered by crusading warriors hoping to absolve their sins by helping me kill some Spaniards crossed the Strait of Gibraltar and left devastated, scorched farmlands in their wake as they marched on Madrid.

In other words, I've been playing as a scheming manipulative bastard that would make Machiavelli proud, because that's how you win in this game. Through its flavor-setting loading screen quotations, Medieval 2 openly acknowledges its Machiavellian game mechanics. It is a depiction of a Hobbesian international order where one must conquer or be conquered. The simple imperative is expand or perish: either I acquire more territory, more taxable citizens and thus a larger army or I will become prey to my more acquisitive neighbors.

But something strange happened when the armies met at the banks of the Tagus. The two armies formed into lines and I held my men back as cannon and mortar bombarded the Spanish defensive position atop a hill. Lacking cannon of their own, the Spanish could do nothing but hold their position as my guns softened their lines in preparation for an assault. Now, some more relevant context about the game: one of the cool things about Medieval 2 is its impressive battle engine - a fully 3D depiction of a middle-ages battlefield that is capable of rendering thousands of units onscreen at once from an aerial perspective but also allows you to zoom in and see the action in all its savage hand-to-hand detail.

The thing is, the distant, godlike aerial view is the one that's far more practical for actual command, as when in the trenches it's easy to miss broader developments on the battlefield. For this reason I hadn't actually spent much time "on the ground," which I suppose could be some kind of metaphor for the comparative wartime experience of the generals and the actual grunts. In any case, there was little else to do while my cannonballs rained down on the Spanish so I zoomed in, with some glee, to see the devastation my guns were visiting upon the enemy. This is when the bizarre event occurred.

As I watched, a mortar shell landed in the midst of the Spanish lines, throwing soldiers in all directions. Then, a few of the fallen men staggered up, shook the stars from their eyes, and found their feet. In defiance of all sane human instinct for self-preservation, the entire line formed ranks to close the gap my mortar had just created in their battle lines, stepping atop the bodies of their just-fallen comrades to do so, even as shells continued to rain down around them. Another shell landed in their ranks not far away. Again the survivors picked themselves up and closed ranks over bloodied corpses.

It was a poignant sight, the fatal drama of these hopelessly outnumbered soldiers doing their duty and constantly reforming their continually diminishing lines. With some guilt I realized that my extended artillery bombardment wasn't even necessary. My army was vastly better-trained, better-equipped, and better-manned than the Spanish citizen militia fighting to defend their homes, but I subjected them to a full barrage of guns because I am the sort of perfectionist gamer and Machiavellian schemer that seizes every possible advantage - and I wanted to watch some explosions, too. Maybe it was the sleep deprivation from too many M2TW all-nighters, but I actually felt sorry for these little polygonal warriors. Pity swelled in my chest and my shriveled Machiavellian heart ached in sympathy for the pixels.

This experience was in part so unlikely, so alien, and so wonderful because empathy for the enemy is such a rare experience in video games in general, and indeed may even be anathema to the whole gaming experience. It's hard to have much "fun" - which is what most people expect from a game, though I think it's an awfully limiting metric for evaluating aesthetic merit - if you're killing a whole bunch of people that you sympathize with. Instead, a game needs to create a firm boundary between "The Self" and what intellectuals like to call "The Other," which is a pithy and pretentious way of saying "something that is not at all like me and is in fact something I can define myself against (in the case of most video games, by killing lots of Them)."

When game graphics were primitive this was all relatively straightforward. Whether you were hopping on turtles in Super Mario or shooting at aliens in Space Invaders the "enemy" was pretty clearly an abstraction, a pixelated representation of something else. As game graphics have improved, though, the depersonalization becomes increasingly complicated, as the distance between the representation and the actual object collapsed. In Wolfenstein 3D the Nazis were crude, cartoonish and clearly not "human," in Call of Duty 3 the distinction becomes much finer.

To resolve this predicament first-person games typically rely on the same tricks to dehumanize the waves of enemies that the player kills over the course of a typical game: make them aliens, or zombies, or Nazis, or robots, or best of all some combination of the four: alien zombies (Doom 3, Halo), alien Nazis (Half-Life 2), alien zombie robots (Quake 4). Perhaps the purest manifestation of this phenomenon is Return to Castle Wolfenstein's final boss, an alien/zombie/robot/Nazi. Strategy games haven't even had to employ these conceits. Simply set the player above the battle and the little units scurrying about in response to your every will, lobotomized peons without agency, become more insect than human.

I was thinking about some of this as I watched my artillery tear apart the Spanish. I thought about my long-suffering soldiers, who had campaigned for a decade beneath the scorching skies of North Africa only to be told that the road back home to Italy led through a hostile Spain. I thought about the deluded religious fanatics in my army, who fought and died for the cross without realizing that their beloved pope was my puppet and the "Spanish Crusade" was but a pretext for an invasion to sate my avaricious lust for conquest. I thought about how by letting me abandon the omnipotent perspective of most RTS games for a grunts-eye view, Medieval 2 Total War was enabling a sort of empathy, a communion, with the poor souls on both sides of the battle line.

Then my artillery ran out of ammunition, so I advanced my lines, executed a textbook-perfect double envelopment, sent their entire army fleeing, ran down the panicked Spanish beneath the iron-shod hooves of my cavalry so they couldn't regroup to defend Madrid, and executed all the prisoners captured in battle rather than release them to fight another day.

But I did feel kind of bad about it afterwards.

And finally, to finish off this first of a new volume of the ES, we have some Pictures of the Week for you; a backlog of five seems to have built up, so this is very image heavy, beware... Then again, its titled the Picture of the Week, so what did ya expect?
    Pictures of the WeekFirst, number 73, an image by Artos;

Number 74, by... Artos

Number 75, won by now-ES reporter Kalos;

Number 76 was a joint winner, Kalos' Fallen tying with Argent Usher's M II Unplugged;

Finally, we arrive at 77, with Kalos the winner (a nice streak) with an image titled Courage and Faith.

Now, bear in mind that Number 78 is accepting submissions, so get on over there with your best shot! Of the screen, that is. You never know, this might be your week!

And with that, we are out; from the Eagle Standard team, and from me, goodbye.

Default Re: Eagle Standard Volume VI Issue I

Great read, especially the Empress on ETW, and the background behind Broken Crescent

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Its safe to say this is the most Helios-like edition that has ever been produced. Well done for resurrecting it, looking forward to the next weeks!
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl

Hey Tom, when do I get my Content Writer badge?

Otherwise, a great read. Look forward to more.

Well done all and great job on the write-ups. Let us not forget the person who brough it together, Tom Paine, too!

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Meg View Post
    Well done all and great job on the write-ups. Let us not forget the person who brough it together, Tom Paine too!

Devoirs The Empress
    I think you had a bit too much time on your hands Meg...

Great article, though.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Nice newspaper, Tom Paine - keep up the excellent work
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

That's great!

Plutarch's Avatar Civitate

Good Issue! I miss being involved, but life is sucking the fun out of everything nowdays. Keep up the good work.

Under the Patronage of Bulgaroctonus

Miles

Really well done piece on "Sympathy for the Pixels," dtjw! The emotional attachment to the characters is what I find fascinating about RTW. I like how you framed it as a discovery you made in the midst of slaughter.

Athel's Avatar Civis

eagle standard for ever

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Great editon! I particularly liked the pictures of the week! Very nice guys/girls!

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Excellent edition! THe high point for me was the M2TW artical by Kalos, which included the "We are all one" song with lyrics. I don't think I will ever fire up M2TW again and rush past the main menu music without thinking about that haunting voice.. and the lyrics...
    Last edited by NobleNick; April 29, 2008 at 02:13 PM.