Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Vista (Medieval 1: Total War)

Icon9 Issues with Vista (Medieval 1: Total War)

hi,
    I have a new vista 32bit system (but my cpu is 64bit) with an integrated 256meg nvidia geforce 6100 nforce 405 graphics card, running the forceware 163 vista drivers.
    I put in the disk 1 and put the application into xp compatability mode-I then launch it. The medieval total war symbol comes up but then it says can't find cd-rom-please insert correct cd-rom. Cd two dosen't work at all obviously. I have tried not using xp mode but this dosen't work either.

Is there a fix for this or will it just not work on my pc
    thanks

Default Re: Medieval Total War dosen't work on Vista!

I am running Vista and my MTW is working perfectly. I installed it only 2 days ago when my RTW went out of action. I had no problem with the install.

You could try looking into user permissions on your computer, tends to disagree with some games. Maybe even try testing your discs on another machine, or look into your DVD/CD drive itself. Could be problem there.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

-Codims

Quote Originally Posted by Codims View Post
    I am running Vista and my MTW is working perfectly. I installed it only 2 days ago when my RTW went out of action. I had no problem with the install.

You could try looking into user permissions on your computer, tends to disagree with some games. Maybe even try testing your discs on another machine, or look into your DVD/CD drive itself. Could be problem there.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

-Codims
    Codims, what graphics card do you have? I bet it's not a Nvidia series 8...

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

For all intents and purposes i think it is nearing the point where we can safely say that unless you are looking to play only the newest and most recent games Vista is turning out to be a gamers nightmare....

Default Vista Mouse problem in battles (Medieval 1)

(Medieval: total war)

My mouse works properly during the campaing screen. However when a battle starts it's acting weird.

- When i hover over a unit, it doesn't show it's information.
    - When i want to make a formation with a unit it doesn't show the formation, nor does it change into the formation i tried to create.
    - When i hover over an enemy unit, i can't click to attack it, the cursor remains the 4 yellow squares.
    - When i click to move the unit somewhere, it moves in that general direction, but not even close to where i clicked.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Default Re: Vista Mouse problem in battles

I get the same problem. You just have to do the best you can, save, exit the game, restart comp. if that doesnt work tell me. (it wokrs for me)

Hitler with a tear drop? very 80's and not 1880's. yes, the gothic/emo/cartoon watching kids are all germans.
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

I think the problem you have is a well known incompatibility between STW/MTW and all 8000 series Nvidia GPUs. I recognize your symptoms as the same ones I have. Nothing is wrong with your mouse. Rather, the problem is that the game engine is incorrectly translating mouse movements into the 3D space of the game. So, when you try pointing or clicking on something in the game the action is incorrectly applied to some random piece of ground.

This issue occurs in Windows XP as well. You may have just noticed it in Vista if you upgraded your video card along with the operating system. Forceware driver versions don't matter either. This will always occur if you have an 8000 series Nvidia GPU. (I had some probems with my 7800 GTX too.)

For STW the only known workaround is to change the game to software display mode, bypassing Direct3D and your Nvidia GPU. Since MTW has no software display mode there is no workaround. I can only recommend that you keep an old computer or spare videocard around in order to play the game. I contacted Nvidia and Sega about this issue but recieved no reply. Since these are very old games by now there is unlikely to ever be a fix.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

cluelessnewbie - you are not clueless and not a newbie by any stretch of the imagination!

And you last sentence is why we don't get the support we deserve! These games are not so old they should not get a fix.

Let me tell you that a much smaller developer, GSC Gameworld (of STALKER fame), have an older game, Cossacks, that had a very similar problem of not working with high end nvidia cards, and they released a fix for their game - so why the hell can't Creative/SEGA?!

I for one will not be buying another Creative title until this problem is fixed. Why should I support them if they won't support me?!

I had this problem too.
    I resolved it by disabling Norton internet Security, both antivirus and firewall. Then Vista could read the CD and install Medieval Total War.
    Very frustrating problem.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Merging topics together with similar issues (Medieval 1 Issues With Vista)
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 28, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: merging my similar posts together
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Default Re: Issues with Vista (Medieval 1: Total War)

hi

i had this graphics problem with vista and the ATI radeon 9800
    {infact any radion i tried}
    i did this to cure it
    install vista sp1
    install june 2008 direct x runtime {not the web installer}
    then !!! {ie dont install the video driver first }

download the ati driver version pre .net2 v7.8 or 7.9
    or with geforce {i tried a series 8 } you need v160 or so{you need to download all the driver versions from 158 - latest one
    and put the earliest vista one in
    then work up testing each one with all your games
    latest i got to work was v163 using geforce 8600GT oem card
    and a stable machine

DONT GO ANY HIGHER the later versions fail with errors
    when starting the game i get
    'medieval total war has encountered an unknown error and has been closed'

also check that your bios is set to boot from the atx/pcie card and NOT pci
    most machines will allocate holders for the pci if this set right
    but will still work aok {just detects the agp card }
    but causes problems with vista if it isnt set

so any card will work it seems a change to the drivers kernal is the problems
    and i found the later drivers use a later wdm{windows driver model} system that mtv doesnt like

Icon13

Ok...

So I have Vista, and I'm using an HP Pavillion dv6 Laptop PC 2009 model.
    Got it this year (obviously) and I know relatively nothing about computers and absolutely nothing about my laptop. I can tell you how much RAM it has and how much hard drive capacity is...

but anyways.

MTW is my favorite, and I really want to be able to play it on my laptop. I'm going to create a list of symptoms that happen every time I start up. I'm also going to give a list of motions I have made to fix it.

Symptoms:
    1) Startup the game, it's fine except for between opening graphics and menu it flashes to my desktop as if I ALT+Tab over to it and back off. It does this anywhere between a menu and a loading session as well.
    2) Campaign Selection: Between menus (era, win conditions, faction) It works fine with no "flashing" as mentioned in one.
    3) Once I go to start campaign option, It does the load bar, "flashes", and then comes back to the in-game pause menu. Any option I select from the menu, the game flashes, and a message comes up, saying "Medieval TW has stopped working. You can go online to find a solution, or end the program." and it gives the two options. Obviously it never finds a solution...

"Fixes" (that haven't worked):
    1) Synced the screen resolution between the game and the computer (Note: this stopped flashing/random failure before, I've kept this, but there is still the final fail)

2) Made the game run in compatability mode for XP.
    3) Ran the game as an admin.
    4) any combination of the previous 3.

------- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please EDIT rather than positing again

New Symptom: My battle function works fine, as if there were no problems with the game
    Last edited by Brusilov; July 14, 2009 at 04:34 AM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Help!

The bad news is your machine is too new for the game.

You want it to work for Medieval1, you will have to find all the drivers that are six to ten years old. anything newer will not play. Search the archived threads and you'll find it an issue in the past.

for example Direct X 8.1?

and I installed Directx 8.1 tonight, and it either told my computer that my drivers were up to date, or it does not work at all....
    Last edited by eponymous; July 16, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Update

Directx 8.1? Vista comes with directx 10. The system specs: http://www.g-unleashed.com/index.php?jump=268 say directx 9. You have to download it from Microsoft's website to your desktop and run it yourself. Autoupdate will not work because it finds directx 10. That is part of the problem. Did you read the post on video drivers above and follow the advice? If you don't, you're not playing. If you want to play this and the newer games you may want to think seriously about two harddrive partitions-one for the old games that are incompatible with new hardware and operating systems and one for the new programs that can't use the old drivers.

Yes, I read them thanks, but I have no idea what a hard drive partition is, besides the obvious semantical meaning. What I don't know is how to do one, how to associate the driver, and how to size said partition, because all i need it for is MTW and Viking Inv.

and earlier I mean when I tried to install it the install either was the computers way of tricking me into believing it was actually installing 8.1 or the download I received on my disk is faulty
    Last edited by eponymous; July 17, 2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Okay, I was thinking RTW, not Medieval/VI. It probably did load directx 8.1. I just tried to find the old specs for the game and there was no mention of directx. Try to run it on the earliest version of Windows Vista will let you and see if you can it to 256 color. I don't know if it will work but you can try it.

Thanks again.
    That didn't work, but I'm going to try it again in 1024 x 768
    and I would like to know how to do the hard drive partition
    and assigning the game to run off of a seperate driver; I could put Directx8.1 on a flash drive

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Ihope you don'thave an 8000 series card in that laptop,because even if you get it working the battles won't work......
    Search THEN ask on these forums!!!

.... and check out the Expanded America's mod at :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=185565

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast