Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato (senate records)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato

Congratulations to your father on his great victory. I see no issue with him retraining the legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I have yet more news from my father:

As no-one has clarified the definition of Italian peninsula, I have taken it as meaning everything within the alps, including the po valley.

I therefore make use of motion 14 of last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaivs Gracchvs View Post
    14)Motion by Senator Sulla about the right of the Consul to use spies inside the Italian Peninsula withouth the consent of the senatus:

Outcame:Yay 4 - Nay 0.Motion Carried.
    And have assembled this report of the north.

As you can see, there are the equivalent of 9 legions(a legion is half a stack and there is half a stack in Segesta). This number excludes those in Venetia who have not been seen by our spies! And you wish me to march against these people as though they can be brushed aside! I urge you to look at reports, or in this case ask for a report before even considering a motion.

add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Cornelivs Svlla stands and raises his left hand in the air,demanding to speak:

Salve Consul! Firstly congratulations on your well-earned victory and may I express the gratitude of us all for the minimal casualties. Secondly I support the retrain of these veterans in order to ready them for the last push against Croton; As regarding the cities north though the People Tribunes have vetoed any move for now so any info gathered on these lands may be irrelevant until we can be ready to expand the Republic. So i guess that after the subjugation of Croton there will be some kind of peace time;were we should focus on healing the wounds of war,rather than considering what has to be done next.

Vale Consul
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

That is a strong north sector, we should defend the mountain passes and the river north of Arenium. And consolidate our gains and prepare for another war which should be when we are ready and not before. I would suggest in having at least 10 Legions before our push north.
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Senator Micaelis Horatius Malleolus stands

Ave, Senator Sulla

Your words are well chosen once more. I myself treasure the veto by Tribune Lepidus, as I see the coming peace as a well deserved break from war, so we can lick our wounds suffered from the wars on Epirodes, the calibrians and the future campaign against Croton. Our soldiers need the rest, they need to see their family and insure their wives and children that they are okay. When I look around in this house I still see the scars on many of my fellow senators' bodies. A reminder of what they have done for Res Publica, what deeds they have paid in blood, sweat and tears. So I think many of you can concur, that you too miss your loved ones when in war.
    So when Croton falls, for surely in the hands of such a competent wall taker as Consul Marcus Atius Balbus victory is assured, let us rejoice for peace will again have come to Res Publica

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Ancus stands

Well done Consul! Soon enough Southern Italy will be united!

True enough, I propose a minimum of 10 years in which our Legions will remain dormant (unless in defense) each legion should return to the town it originated from, be retrained and refitted.
    The money not spent on supplies and War Wages will boost our economy - something we should all welcome.

I would not impose a motion, as I believe there would be no opposition from the senate, I speak on behalf of the Nove Optimates.
    Last edited by sanada; October 08, 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Yeah, I mean't everything below the Alps.

Oh, and try to take minimum loses, as you are outnumbered about 4-1.
    Everything the State says is a lie, everything it has is stolen.

State is the name of coldest of all the cold monsters. Coldly it lies; and this slips from its mouth: "I, the state, am the people"

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The consul will not be going to northern Italy unfortunately, as I have vetoed the motion to give him power to do so. We need a period of peace to lick our wounds and prepare, if we are to go to northern Italy. I want this to be a well thought out decision, and not war fervor brought on by our victories. Only then will the Plebs support this new war.

The former Junior Consul's plan should have the backing of the Populares.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Great Senators of Roma,

Yes Former Consul you are right econemy and rewards for the plebs are nessecary. And for our Econemy to grow we need to unite southern italy for these are stong individual settlements but togather they can make an Empire.

but as for the North i do not think going north would be the wisest move on our part. For the reasons i have stated in the past.
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Ancus stands
    With peacetime fast approaching, and hopefully a successful campaign in Croton, I would like to start a debate upon the Republics Budget. Hopefully when the new Censor is appointed they would post an economic report, with a projection of economic growth etc.

I was wondering, what would the Senates Views be upon our budget?

Ave Senators,

I suggest we TRade with Charthage, all Greek Nations and Egypt. they are very wealthy nations and would provide us with the resources we need.

Also lower Takes to Medium level.. The plebs are restless and have Endured enough.

Libertus

Ave Senators,

Econemy! That is the answer trade with the powerful nations around us would prove useful and taxes should not be lowered so that we can maximize profits.

I propose minimizing taxes on Italy rather than have them maxed up;that way we can appease the plebeians who have suffered so much until today...And I believe I can speak for the Noves Optimates as well!

Ave Senators,

For those who are wodnering The CENSOR is Ancus.( Sanada)
    For the one who i appointed before i am sorry i got you two mixed up. I Hope you are not Offended.

sanada's Avatar Decanus

I graciously except your proposal,

Many thanks Cato, I will request the Save Game from Consul and be back with an Economic report.

Congratulations Senator Acus,
    Do Roma some good.

As for my Standings on thing around te Senate.
    Econemy is what we need no another war with free peoples so Former Consuls veto is Appreciated.
    If anything we should settle things in Sicily by conquering it to gain Much needed Resources and Gain a Strategic Island.
    Taxes Should be Lowered to Medium Providing with some income but not totally Robbing the Plebs.
    And Trade with every wealthy nation as for Map Information would be greatly appreciated in my opinion for the Roman people thurst for Knowladge about the world as much as me.

I know my reputation Proceeds my opinions but i plead you hear me out and overlook my reputation for i have change like my younger. I am no longer a blood thirsty man haha.

Roma Victor!
    ~Brutius Decimus Cato
    Last edited by Nardril; October 08, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Brutius Decimus Cato, of the Populares Party

Alleanza di Cato!

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Taxes shall be lowered. We voted to raise taxes only during the duration of the war, and soon that war will be over. If the senate wishes the taxes to remain high, they will have to make a new vote.

I propose that taxes are set to low; After all we don't want good romans be economically destroyed from the debts to the State(none could have the economic possibility to withstand extreme taxation for over than 6 months,and then we would have only velites and funditores to serve in the army!no money to buy equipment!!!)and as Triumvir Ancus has said its in the Noves Optimates schedule to have peace for a decade at least before considering a new war as to retrain the legions and forward economic measures(as low taxes to all Italian cities...).

Consider these Senators!
    ps:Senator Cato(the elder one) war with the Syracusans are not in our minds right now...Can I trust that you speak of the future,far far away future?Also the Noves Optimates don't support such an action now so it would be best when you speak something from your own opinion to state it clearly...Thank you!
    Last edited by Kritias; October 08, 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Maxinius Scipio's Avatar Decanus

Senator Lvcivs Valerivs Scipio speaks:

Senators, I don't think we should bring taxes down to low until after Croton is captured. Taxes should be kept at medium (normal) though, we are not in a time of crisis, are we? (ooc: I'm not a very good populare, am I? =P)

As for trade, it's obvious we need to trade with Carthage. Greeks call us proper Romans barbarians, and wanting to trade with them would make them think we are weak and that they are superior.
    Last edited by Maxinius Scipio; October 09, 2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Gnaevs Theodosivs Festvs(49), Senator of Rome!
    Praefectus Praetorio Italiae
    Fallaces sunt rerum species. (Appearances are deceptive) - Seneca
    Titles Held: Senatore Romani, Eqves, Paters Familias, Praefectus
    Praetorio Italiae

Senator you were clearly not in the senate these last hours...We have had victory in Cannae today,the Consul announced the subjugation of the city some hours ago...