Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato (senate records)

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Balbvs/Cato

Ancus stands:

Please senators, allow this motion to only be put in to effect after a period of peace, or when the current Consul See's the danger to be sufficient enough to launch a pre-emptive strike.
    Such a risk would be sufficient when the Gauls move into the Northern Italy - however, we should discuss these matters closer to the date.

What do the senators say to my proposal?

(ooc) I have edited the vote count so it is consistent through out
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

That was the meaning of my veto. I am not opposed to expanding north, but I and the plebs want peace before we march off to more war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

The motion can always put into effect when the Consul decides to carry out the will of the Senate;a decision he may take whenever he wants during his term...
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I want to be sure that we have peace for a while and focus on expanding our infrastructure. Surely you realize that we have suffered quite a few losses during this war, and we should have at least a year to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

As I said,when exactly we expand north is not a decision we will take; We can issue a motion TO march north,but the active consul will decide when to begin his campaign;this can be either now,a year from today or the last months of his term...it is his decision when he will carry out the will of the Senatus...(blinks both eyes)

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Senator Gnaeus Aurelias Libo stands for the first time since taking his place in the senate hall.

What reason have we to make war upon those cities in the North? I have heard no word of trouble, nor seen a threat to our hallowed city. Is Rome a tyrant that would force its will upon those around it? Are we to become like those we conquered, thirsting for more land and riches while men bleed and die, and true Romans go hungry in the streets?

You speak of peace with the Tarentines. Has the blood of Rome thinned whilst I have lived? Since when do we, the protectors and leaders of Rome extend a hand of friendship to ones who so recently tried to cut it off? We have barely finished one conflict, and you are desperate to start another! What will those abroad think of Rome; as a land of civilisation? Or a group of thugs wanting to tear apart those close to them? You forget Carthage! Macedon! That rabble of Greek Cities, who look warily towards the West now their 'Magna Graecia' has fallen. Your attitudes will force them into each others arms, and one day we will have to face all of them! You will bring ruin to our fair city!

I put forward that we should indeed consolidate our position for the foreseeable future. Enough Roman lives have been lost. Let us reward those who served us. Let us bring bread to the poor. Let us deal with the problems on our doorstep before stretching forth our hand with a sword gripped in it! There should be no when, noble senators, to march north. Only an if! We stand against tyrants! We should not become one!
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Lvcivs Cornelivs Svlla stands,having heard Senator Libo:

That was a touching speech Senator... You ask the reason for us to march on the free cities of the North? Isn't the fact that,we are in war with the free peoples and for our security it would be best to drive them out of Italy,not enough? As for how Rome shall look in the face of other nations; well it depends on the nations compared to,i guess! The Macedonians;The heirs of Alexander don't wish to destroy all those around them when they are at war with both their neighbors? Or the noble Greeks; these men now cry under the feet of Macedon's oppression so I believe that we don't matter to them right now!The Carthaginians;those profit-seekers only see gold not the actions of men,and they are not at all aggressive,aren't they senator?How did they build their trade empire,i ask you! So you see,while securing the Peninsula we do what all other nations since the beginning of time have done; We look for our safety first, then care for impressions!I do not see anything wrong in heading north,in the contrary i favor such an act which will bring power position and safety from external enemies in the future. I finally say to my fellow Senator Libo that Rome does not tolerate tyranny nor shall impose it to none; we do only what needs to be done,while we are in war with the free peoples!

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave Senators,

Ha. we are no expanding north senators merely Securing our borders against future threats. The True Romans are fighting against enemys of Roma and Making a name for themselves. The "True romans" you speak of are sitting in the streets hungry because they are to stupid to fend for themselves and are to lazy you dont need to be a god to join the military...

Senator Gnaeus Aurelias Libo Why would you want to send a message to other cities over the world saying we do not show mercy and we are not humans? we just kill and nothing more? Macedon and Greek are to busy fighting eachother to have to worry about them plus they are not eneimes of Roma. What have they done against us? tell me that senator. Charthage shall be delt with once they provoke it so far they have been wise men.
    you speak of not being a tyrant but you wish to take from Tarentums? What kind of Tyrant would you like to be called? Who said we were heading to Greece why would greece take arms against us if we are not even glancing to their tiny slab of land?

Its amazing what you populares come up with when optimates expecally a moderate one says something. You worry about men who dont even pay attention us and you wish to give to the poor.. Once the poor are rich who do you think they will turn to? The Optimates, They will think oh im noble i shall be with the Nobles therefore they will have no need for you populares anymore. You need the poor to be poor.

OCC:You are like Americans: We will fight you on the Beachs the Seas and the Plains But kill one of ours we will leave u alone.

Roma Victor!
    -Aqulia Decimus Cato
    Last edited by 68 Powers; October 07, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Citizen

Senator Libo rises again, gazing around the room before speaking.

Noble Senator Sulla, these peoples in the north of what is already our Peninsular have done nothing to deserve having their freedom taken away. They would be far more valuable as allies rather than as slaves! Think what lies beyond them - the Gallic menace is something better left for them to face than us while the city reels from war in the south against the dog Pyhrrus and his allies. You say we are not tyrants, rather securing our borders. Tell me senator, when did their borders become ours? Much can be achieved in peace.

At the same time, peace does not always send the right message. I speak to you now, Cato! No amount of slanderous talk coming from your mouth will silence what is right and true! Tarentum needs to be punished, for Rome was insulted by them! They brought foreign kings to Italian soil to destroy us! It cannot go unanswered! There must be a price paid to show that crossing Rome will be the last mistake made! No senator, in this situation mercy is not the answer. You call me tyrant, I will ignore this slur, but only this one time senator. History will not remember the names of those whose mouths are filthy within these hallowed walls.

It would be foolishness to believe everything we hear about the Carthaginians and any other foreigners. Surely our war against Pyhrrus has shown that foreign armies can still inflict painful disasters upon our brave armies. Impressions are important so they believe that friendship with Rome is wiser than enmity!

Finally I would say this. I belong to none of these factions that are ripping apart the Senate Hall. And I urge you brothers, to put first what is best for Rome, and the people that make up her fair city - both the wise and the fool - and put aside your political ambitions that could ruin us all!
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Libertus

Ave Senators,

Once again I support you Cato. You speak the truth.
    Greece does not even Content with Roma whats left of Phyruss's Empire has given up.
    Why would people who oppose Tyrants take from their Conquered Territorys? Because those who wish to are truly Tyrants at heart we need to treat these pople like our own for they were under a tyrants rule and we liberated them.
    And now you want to Impose Tyrant rule again...amazing...

Roma enVictor!

Ave Sentor,

If Tarentum People are Punished i shall be punished with them. They are no different from you and I. Also i may "slanderous talk" All i wish for it is the truth and you populares may not see it because in your wrong headed mind what you say is right..
    The only reason why you wish to punish them is because they are Rch and not of Roman Blood.. Does it really matter? Some Senators are Not of Roman Blood either shall we punish them to? the comited no act against roma and her People

And i am tired of hearing about how butt hurt all of you are about the Causilities of War.. Men Die in war thats what makes it war live with it you wanted it and now the price has been returned with death and cries of mothers.

Roma Victor!
    Last edited by 68 Powers; October 07, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

The Office of Princeps Senatus Announces

The Motion of Moving North against Bononia and Segesta has been closed and declared invalid.
    Tribune of The Plebs, Senator and ex-Senior Consul Lepidus, will make use of his veto if the motion is passed, therefore all voting on the motion would be worthless.

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus
    Lvcivs Cornelivs Svlla

Citizen

Then you desire that we should let those who have committed crimes against our city go unpunished Cato? Truly you must fail to see the implications of that action. Who would fear us if going to war with us meant no repercussions in the end? If it had been your sons dying, and your daughters raped, and your wife slaughtered, you would be singing to a different tune!

And we never asked for the war against Pyhrrus as you seem to think we did. It was forced upon us by those very people you wish to protect! Perhaps you have hidden interests in that city which this body needs to be made aware of?

Senator Libo rises briefly after the announcement of the veto.

I am thankful to you, noble Tribune Lepidus. Let us hope your common sense will be something others in this body strive to immitate.

Dear Senator,

For the last time they have not Commited Crimes for the last time...
    Did we not have a choice to not go to war with Phyruss? Yes would have have just sat there and not do anything so please look at the Past and the votes.
    WE the Senate of Roma voted to go to war with Phyruss he did not invade our lands or pillage our villages. And are you saying these men took up swords like barbains and went into Rome herself and killed Sons Daughters and Wives? hmm? NO they sat in tarentum praying for Roman occuoation.

And none of the Roman Daughters and Wives died for the war was not in our land and i have lost a son in war so dont get me started on that But i have forgivin my son was defending what he though was right and so was the man who killed him.

Accept it and live Senator for if you hold gruges so will your Freinds and Foes .

Now i am tired of listening to your pathetic Mewing about the same stuff. Move on...
    Last edited by 68 Powers; October 07, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Citizen

Why were we forced to put in a motion of war? Would it have passed if they had not invited Pyhrrus here to Italy? He had not struck yet, but they had specifically asked him to drive us Romans out of lands that were rightfully ours. The Tarentines asked that of him! I say again, the Tarentines! Where is their innocence?

Ave Senator,

Once again.. Someone blind to everthing but their own reason hear then about you fool!
    What possible could a couple a Familes do to commit Crimes against a while Nation and why would they bring a tryant to own them?

You should use Common Sense..
    Brutius Decimus Cato, of the Populares Party

Alleanza di Cato!

Aqulia Decimus Cato get up as if hes tired.. Shakes his head.
    *Sigh*
    I Rest my agrument for thick headed senators dont like to see others reason
    so there is no point in going on...

Citizen

I fail to understand how you do not recognise that the city of Tarentum asked Pyhrrus of Epirus into Italy to fight against our city of Rome. It is an undisputed fact. There is my reason. If it is just two families that are to blame, then it is two families who should die. Those responsible must be punished! It is not about taking riches or property from them, it is about the honour of Rome!

Libertus

Ave Senators,

Stop living in the past think of the future for there is nothing you can do to change it.
    If you wish to be tyrant go for it i and im sure Cato will be no part of it so when the whole of southern italy Rebels against all of you i will gladly join them.

Ave Senator,

Ha.. Kill two whole Familys. your no better then the Gauls go live with them and then u can kill all the familes you want.
    I wont support you or any of your thick headed freinds ever. in the killing of familes.

And if they call tyrants to conquer them then i call Charthage Gaul and Greece to Split our lands and Take us as slaves if thats what nobles do these days...