Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum's New Seleucid Empire!

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Roma Surrectum's New Seleucid Empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Nellup View Post
    They certainly would be unstoppable, if they weren't so damned big - the very thing which gives them so many units available also makes far-flung provinces difficult to defend, try playing a Seleucid campaign in 1.5 and see how problematical holding on to provinces is.
    Definitely why I stop myself from playing them, I want to expand on my own, not defending some collapsing empire.
    Same with the BI expansion and the Romans there.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Wow indeed! An extremely impressive unit roster. They seem to have the cream of the ancient world at their disposal, the best of Parthia, Macedon, Carthage, Greece.
    They could be unstoppable.
    They certainly would be unstoppable, if they weren't so damned big - the very thing which gives them so many units available also makes far-flung provinces difficult to defend, try playing a Seleucid campaign in 1.5 and see how problematical holding on to provinces is.

In a nutshell, you guys pretty much nailed the Seleucid historical position during the RS2 timeframe.

During Antiochus III's reign, the Seleucid empire was poised to go to either way. Its size began huge, he lost most of Asia Minor from two battles lost against Rome at Thermoplylae and Magnesia, and lost but later regained areas from Ptolemy IV at Raphia and Panium respectivley. On top of this he returned Parthia and Bactria to his rule.

It really can go either way for the Seleucid player in RS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulattothrasher View Post
    In a nutshell, you guys pretty much nailed the Seleucid historical position during the RS2 timeframe.

During Antiochus III's reign, the Seleucid empire was poised to go to either way. Its size began huge, he lost most of Asia Minor from two battles lost against Rome at Thermoplylae and Magnesia, and lost but later regained areas from Ptolemy IV at Raphia and Panium respectivley. On top of this he returned Parthia and Bactria to his rule.

It really can go either way for the Seleucid player in RS2.
    Well if Antiochus had listened to Hannibal(Who fled to him after Zama) and sent his main army to Greece and not some some "expeditionary force" or listened to Hannibal again and maybe sent an army into Southern Italy, then history might have been different. The fool(Antiochus) instead decides to make Hannibal leader of his....navy!! Something Hannibal admitted was out of his league, he also put his elephants in between his pezhetairoi units at Magnesia. He had every chance to defeat Rome...

But he did I guess reconqueror Parthia, Bactria and Palestine from Ptolemy, even though he lost at Raphia. Just so many missed opportunities for Antiochus III.

Mulattothrasher's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T View Post
    Well if Antiochus had listened to Hannibal(Who fled to him after Zama) and sent his main army to Greece and not some some "expeditionary force" or listened to Hannibal again and maybe sent an army into Southern Italy, then history might have been different. The fool(Antiochus) instead decides to make Hannibal leader of his....navy!! Something Hannibal admitted was out of his league, he also put his elephants in between his pezhetairoi units at Magnesia. He had every chance to defeat Rome...

But he did I guess reconqueror Parthia, Bactria and Palestine from Ptolemy, even though he lost at Raphia. Just so many missed opportunities for Antiochus III.

Exactly. Years ago when I first read that account, I was all but enraged with Antichous. Make Hannibal an admiral and not general? What was he thinking? Theres the famous question Antiochus asked to Hannibal, asking if his forces would be enough to defeat the Romans. Hannibal replied that it was!

When Hannibal met up with Antiochus he tried to talk Antiochus into invading Greece like you said, then heading for Rome. Hannibal even asked for ships and troops to sail to Carthage and convince them to renew the war against Rome as well. What could have been...

Exactly. Years ago when I first read that account, I was all but enraged with Antichous. Make Hannibal an admiral and not general? What was he thinking? Theres the famous question Antiochus asked to Hannibal, asking if his forces would be enough to defeat the Romans. Hannibal replied that it was!

When Hannibal met up with Antiochus he tried to talk Antiochus into invading Greece like you said, then heading for Rome. Hannibal even asked for ships and troops to sail to Carthage and convince them to renew the war against Rome as well. What could have been...
    I know man, so many chances of history being rewritten and Rome faltering because of one action. To think how everyone knows of Rome and Carthage but when you talk about the Seleucids you get a blank stare...

Marcus_Vipsanius's Avatar Semisalis

I think everything in history is "what if..."
    Like, if Hitler didn't invade Russia, we would be all speaking German (in europe) ?? This is something for the appropriate forum of course...

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get him as soon as you can, strike him as hard as you can and keep moving on.
    (Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    I want to expand on my own, not defending some collapsing empire.
    You don't like something like this?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get him as soon as you can, strike him as hard as you can and keep moving on.
    (Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Blackshamrock.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Dude thats scary.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

THATS AWESOME!!!

i always love last stand scenarios!!!

gets me all fired up!!

hell i;ll take many of them with me!!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

TSE has a huge empire, defeated Ptolemies, Pontus, Pergamon & Parthia but is now very weak and has internal problem. When I looked at the map I couldn't find any full stack.

(Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Don't meen to be smart, But I'm shore if you look around the map more closely you more than likely will come across a full stack. I have not'est that the free people. All there army's are full stacks.

Bebbe's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm pretty sure that he meant the Seleucids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebbe View Post
    I'm pretty sure that he meant the Seleucids.
    I did, TSE is weak and has no full stacks...

(Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Vipsanius View Post
    I did, TSE is weak and has no full stacks...
    that is very contradictory to the TSE in other mods like XGM, where you literally go through 200 in-game years fighting just them. i was defending the pass to Asia Minor for so long that the place was littered with the heroic victory sword icons. wonder what im going to find in RS when i face them.

Well, more than any other faction in RS the Seleucid's are just up-down if you compare each other's campaign. One time they defeat all the other diadochi (like my campaign) the other time they are just a shadow of them.
    It might be possible that they have loads of money (didn't check stats) and can field huge armies once I enter their territory. As you can see their empire is huge and pretty peaceful for the moment (not at war with anyone except the free people)
    What surprised me is that
    1) such a huge empire doesn't send armies to suppress the rebelry.
    2) the rebels are not besieging anything.

(Ulysses S. Grant)

ROMA SURRECTUM II-FAN

Sorry m8, me bad. I was not reading the post right sorry again.

HORSE ARCHERS for Seleucid?

would that be too powerful u almost have the troops selection of every type

right, because they did use them. they're not too powerful, if the empire sstarts crumbloing so fast that you've not got enough cash to recruit them! i'm fairly certain they're an AOR unit anyways.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    right, because they did use them. they're not too powerful, if the empire sstarts crumbloing so fast that you've not got enough cash to recruit them! i'm fairly certain they're an AOR unit anyways.
    Good point, they wont be able to spam them if the empire starts crumbling

**RS Dev Team***Reciprocal Repper!* RIP Calvin- you will be missed

and they won't spam them anyways. if you're a history-oriented guy like me, spawning stack after stack of horse archers as anyone but parthia or Sarmatia would be anathema!
    and the AI doesn't like using lots of horse archers because of their crumminess in auto-resolves.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius