Thread: A CINERIBUS RURSUS EXSURRECTAE AQUILAE - WRE AAR's

margio's Avatar Biarchus

Default A CINERIBUS RURSUS EXSURRECTAE AQUILAE - WRE AAR's

A CINERIBUS RURSUS EXSURRECTAE AQUILAE

ROMA, Anno Domini 469, Spring.
    Valerius Servius, the new Augustus of the West Roman Empire, was walking with his Palatinae Guards along the Forum, where an applauding crowd was greeting his passage. He was heading towards Curia Julia, where the Senatus Romanus was reunited. When arrived in the Comitius, he ordered to his guards to wait there for him, and with his Magister Militum and adopted heir Ricimer Servius, that said:
    " Listen Valerius: we do not need approvals from those "senatores"! We control them and we know how to avoid obstacles to our projects…"
    " Those are Dark Ages, Ricimer - replied Valerius - We are sorrounded by potential enemies as by so said allies, ready to impose on any our weakness… Even in our lands there are betrayals, hidden alliance; don't you know, dear heir…? We will have Hard Campaigns, Hard Battles… and an at least neutral Senatus is needed. I know your methods Ricimer, but them too… and I would like to eat, have a bath, sleep quietly… Let's go in now… "
    Immediately after getting into the Senatus, silence was made and for some minutes all looks were directed towards him.
    Senatores didn't love this Italic man, coming from Lucania not from Gens Romana, but they had to agree that upon his and his father's leadership, Roma was revived, and they too…
    Even Valerius was not in love with them, but even if Senatus Romanus lost power and influence long ago, he needed its assistance for his policy and strategy. Anyway he played all his cards, which one was an ace…
    " Ave Patres Conscripti!
    I am Valerius Servius, son of Libius Servius, Gentium Romanorum Imperator. I am here to accept his heritage and the will of Senatus Populusque Romanus to rebuild the Roman Empire and restablish a new order. Despite of many years passed, still alive is the memory of the destructions of our lands, the deaths of our beloved, the pillage of our cities…THE SACK OF ROME!

Some years ago my father, got in his hands what remained of our great empire. He convinced everybody that the first steps would have been to focus on economy, defense and diplomacy. We had to leave Curla and Arles… We restablished trades repairing roads, markets and ports. We repopulate lands, improving farming, and repopulate cities improving happiness and laws. We assured security training our milites with the rules of ancient legionaries. A long and hard campaign… but… WE SUCCEEDED! Thanks also to our diplomats that were able to make ceasefires and establish trade rights with many of our neighbours… "
    A long silence followed those last words… still alive the memory of the Sack of Rome made by Vandals…
    " SENATORES, PROBI VIRI… don't worry… we will not rest till when the last of the Vandals will be killed and their cities… OUR CITIES will be recaptured!
    From a near nest a new, brave, strong first eagle is ready to fly towards our enemies, to rip their flesh with its sharpened claws, to tear their hearts with its powerful rostrum!
    Let me introduce Ricimer Servius. He is our Magister Militum and will lead our Legionarios against Vandals.

He will lead this army in Corsica, to check strenght and speed reaction of those barbarians. Then he will proceed to conquer Sardinia. An easy task…maybe… but he will distract their attention from the other objective of my strategy. Another eagle is growing in strenght and power and it will be leaded to conquer Trinacria. The final objective is Africa for both armies: the first the anvil, the second the hammer to crash Vandals' capital city! Making mine the words of Marcus Porcius Catus… CARTHAGO DELENDA EST!"
    Valerius Servius was silent, waiting the echo of his words leaving the holy building. The silence became heavy…
    then the most ancients, most trusted and powerful, Senatores stood up and with pride and one and strong voice…
    " AVE VALERIUS SERVIUS AUGUSTUS! GENTIUM ROMANORUM IMPERATOR!
    A CINERIBUS RURSUS EXSURRECTAE AQUILAE! "
    …immediately followed by all others Senatores.
    With a light and ironic leer Valerius Servius agreed… his money was well… invested! After an understanding look with Valerius, Ricimer joined his army, leading it to the port of Ostia. The embark operations were quickly made, and the fleet directed towards Corsica, arriving there few days after.

Immediately the spies was sent to investigate Mariana defense and look for others Vandal’s armies

Ricimer was looking to tactical map, studying the best way to approach Mariana, for its siege.
    “Ave magister…”

“AAAHHH… oh… Felix Paulinus. Will you lose this practice to appear like a ghost ?”
    “It’s my duty, Magister” replied Felix grave.
    “I know… anyway my heart doesn’t agree… Ok, back to work…”
    “Mariana is poorly defended…

…I found another little army outside the town, but few units too…”

“Very strange… the first report were of a full stack army, that was coming back after some raids in Etruria and northern Latium
    “…last news about it are that they are coming back, but now they are still on the continent, near Arretium” said Felix.
    “Well done Felix! You can go now. Tomorrow we will fight and hopefully sleep in Mariana”

At dawn the army was lined up in front of Mariana, ready to attack

“OK guys… here we are. You were hardly trained for a long time to bravely and strongly fight against our enemies. The objective is to rebuild the Roman Empire… our Empire! This is the first step. In front of you our worst enemies: the Vandals. They are few… so please… don’t waste too much time… we have a long and hard job to do…”

Onagers started to launch stones to destroy the walls and allow troops to enter in the town. Once done Lanciarii and Comitatenses flew in Mariana.
    They found a unit of Steppe swordsmen, but few javelin were enough to convince them that it was better to avoid any contact… They ran away quickly, but no one was allowed to escape.

“Well done guys… now go to the central square and throw off those annoying barbarians…
    “We found the last troops, Magister… in the central square…”
    “Bah… again poor infantry men. I was dreaming of hard fight blood, death and desctruction… Ok, let’s finish with…
    Lanciarii… on centerline! Comitatenses… on the flanks!

...it is always fantastic to see troops moving tidily, following my orders so good!
    LEGIONARIOS! RING THEM… AND KILL EVERYBODY!

The last German Infantry Nobles were quickly defeated, leaving the Roman army master of Mariana

Ricimer arrived in the central square, while the city fathers came to give credits to him The main part of them were Italic and Roman citizens, obliged to accept the Vandal’s reign.
    “City fathers and citizens of Mariana, you are the first Italic and Roman people free from the yoke of barbarians. I hope that all those years didn’t let you forget loyalty for our Emperor… You are again masters of your town… don’t let down…”
    Immediately after he entered in the Governor’s building, and once found Felix:
    “News about any babrbarians’?”
    “It seem everything calm for now. Our fleets control the sea an our spies are looking on the borders with Sardinia. The Vandals near seems not willing to create problems…”
    “Perfect! Anyway go on to check and report to me any news!
    Then while Felix was getting away:
    “Felix… don’t you think that it would be nice that our architects and engineers starts reworking this building…?”
    Last edited by margio; October 06, 2007 at 07:33 AM.

Default Re: A CINERIBUS RURSUS EXSURRECTAE AQUILAE - WRE AAR's

Great intro Margio The Intro has a Titus Livius narrative feel about it.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Lord Agelmar's Avatar Tiro

Any updates? I always love to see other peoples campaigns with my favorite WRE!
    "We've made the ferryman wait this long, lets make him wait a little longer."
    "The Legions will not fail you, do not fail them." Roma Mod

margio's Avatar Biarchus

ROME, Anno Domini 469, Autumn.
    Valerius Servius was in his Imperial Palace, waiting for news from Ricimer, while amusing with his preferred slave, Cleopatra.
    “ Honey: don’t you think that did you leave to much power to Ricimer, giving him a so strong and trained army…?”
    “My dear… firstly if not in my private rooms, you are allowed to call me Valerius! Then Ricimer owe me several favours… and by the way I have my ways to control him…
    “ I know hon… Valerius, but you know that he is not completely extraneous to your father’s end…”
    “ Cleopatra… leave command duties to me and don’t load your brain with this kind of thoughts…”

The relaxing athmosphere was inturrepted by a messenger:
    “My Emperor! Eagle One prevailed! Ricimer captured Mariana! Now he is waiting for your orders…”
    “Perfect! After ploughs, now even gladiums raises the glory of Rome! Go back to him and tell him that here, the deserved triumph is waiting him!”
    After the messenger got away:
    “Ammianus…

“… my Emperor…?”
    “How is proceeding the training of the new Eagle?”
    “Well. Victor Servius is doing and hard work, but those troops were not so skilled and motivated… I think that it will take more time than expected…, but at the end we will have legionaries as for the first eagle…”
    “I’m not so glad to hear that… but our policy is to proceed as needed. I don’t want to send bad trained troops on battles and furthermore we have to take care of costs… Our cities are growing, population is increasing, troops needs to be well supported… so some months more will be not dislike your Emperor…”
    “I fear that it will take more than some months… because…”
    “STOP IT! To get time doesn’t means to be useful to my availability. Don’t abuse of my patience Ammianus…”
    “ Was not my intention Augustus. Give the needed time to Victor Servius, while Ricimer can be dircted to Messana, and you strategy will be followed anyway…”
    “You cold be right Ammianus… but Victor Sevius will capture Messana when ready. I call back Rcimer here, even because I heard some rumours about some… ferments by our Eastern cousins. Some ships near Tarentum, officially for “military navy manoeuvres”, but our fleets from Tarentum and Croton were enough to convince them that they have enough sea for those kind of war games. Anyway a ready to fight army here is useful…”

MARIANA, Anno Domini 469, Autumn
    Ricimer Servius in his camp was waiting for news about the Vandal’s army from his spies, when the messenger sent by Valerius Servius asked to be received:
    “Cesare! Nuntio tibi gaudium magnum… Triumphum habes!”
    “A triumph? Glad to hear that, but what I will take with me for the triumph? From Mariana I got a couple of swords, some spear, and a broken shield… I will have to listen the jokes of my soldiers, as tradition wants… but to show nothing…!”
    In the meantime a spy arrived:
    “My Lord. Felix Paulinus report that he found the Vandal’s army trying to come back to Corsica. They crossed the sea on little boats, but now they are blocked on a near island, and…
    “… and we can get them. There is my triumph! Centuriones! Embark all my troops quickly! Glory is near and waiting for us!”

Anno Domini469, Autumn late, on an island close to Corsica

“LEGIONARIOS! In front of you the enemy! Vandals! Their name terrorized all people everywhere they went! Now you have the break to show to the world that their reputation is history. They continuously avoided the battle, but now we catched them!
    I know that many of you still have dry swords… it’s time to wet them with their blood!”
    Like a unique man all troops advanced, singing their war songs. Measured steps, weapons knocking shields… an immense roar filled the field!
    “STOOOPP! Ok… the distance is right. Lanciarii, show me that the training to improve your launches length was not useless. Cover the sky with your javelins… NOW!”

Soon after hundreds javelins plumped on the Vandals, unfolding huge holes in their lines. The launches went on till Lanciarii finished their javelins, and Comitatenses started to advance to replace them with same orders.ù
    “Cesare… the Captain of Sagittarii would like to take part of …”
    “NO! The swords will win this battle! Look! They are running against our spears. FOOLS! Brave but fools! Legionarios… the enemy is not attacking you! They are trying to escape… and through your weapons is the only way that they can use…
    Lanciarii, hold the line! Face their attack. You are Legionarios, they are peasants… barbarians… Be ready to counterattack as their impulse will lessen… it will be soon…”

The first lines of Vandal’s Peasants encountred a wall of spears that slowed down their impulse. The Centuriones waited a little more, and as soon they noticed the Vandals stopped, they ordered to the solid lines of Lanciarii to advance. Nothing could stop those Lanciarii’s power, least a disorganized horde of Peasants.

Anyway as the Peasants started to retreat, offeing their back to Lanciarii spears, they were attacked by enemy cavalry.
    “Hold the line Lanciarii. They are few knights and furthermore…renegades…”

The cavalry attack was quickly pushed away with any casualties. The Peasants disheartened by too much casualties started to look for the escaping way. Meanwhile, the right flank by Comitatenses, previously directed to the rear lines of the enemy started to launch their javelins against the enemy Leader’s Guards.
    “Hey… why the Comitatenses on the left are so behind…? Nobody listen to my orders?!?!?”
    “My Lord… there was a unit of peasants directing towards them and they stayed to protect the flank…”

“Centurio! Don’t bother me with these silliness. They were Peasants… poor peasants, but on their rear lines there are still strong and dangerous cavalry units! I want those Comitatenses… all Comitatenses attack their rear lines. Pilum, as other are launching NOW… and then swords. I want their leader killed, and this is an order!”
    Feeling ashamed for their hesitation, quickly Comitatenses formed the line, launched their pilum and attacked the enemy cavalry with swords. The enemy cavalry launched its attack, but decimated by the Comitatenses’ pilum launch, they were too few to be a real threat. Their leader quickly surrounded, fall down under the blows of Comitatenses’ swords. Looking their leader killed all others knights stayed astonished for few seconds… enough anyway to be all killed.

The Peasants despite of casualties continued o fight bravely, but only a miracle could save them from the total annihilation.
    “OK… it’s time to finish this batte. Dragons! Attack! Pass over those peasants killing as many as possible, then turn back and exterminate who remains!”

A quick run and the Iron Dragons’ spears crashed the Peasants, passing easily through their “lines”. The fear took the barbarians, that throwing away weapons and shield started to run away. But nothing could save them. Dragons turned back and launched again their powerful charge.

Soon the silence filled the field. Only some moans could be heard… Latin moans… only…
    “LEGIONARIOS! Well done! A really beautifull battle! It’s a real pleasure lead soldiers like you.
    LEGIONARIOS! SURSUM CORDA! Now a due triumph is waiting for us in Rome!”