Thread: Edward Bernays: Brilliant Assassin of Democracy

Default Edward Bernays: Brilliant Assassin of Democracy

Or brilliant traitor?

This guy made smoking with women popular, made Eazy-Bake meals an actual household product, made good people look like the Anti-Christs and altogether altered history in contemporary politics, his methods echo even today and will probably continue to do so.

I can't link much to him, but I'm sure someone can.

The idea of an informed public has been molested by his own machinations, to conquer the human sub-conscious with exploitation and manipulation. A "favourably" informed public has been created, where the media has become the ultimate tool in politics.

I've longed thought that a docile, complacent population will allow a government to enact whatever laws they please, in the name of whatever the population stands for, carry out whatever policies they decide having the backing of the majority of their people. And why shouldn't I? It's one of the oldest in the book. But who decides what the population stands for?

Singularly people can think for themselves, it is thinking for the whole that really shows how limited we are in our... vicissitudes of societal planning. The flow of information is key.

Flow of information determines who hears what, when and how the people can analyze and determine their own morals and values, decide what they stand up for, or would, and what they would like to see their governments do.

I've always had the personal theory that media is the strongest political tool today, pervading nearly every aspect of our lives, controlling the vast majority of what we take in, which we subsquently judge and take a stance upon. The day of pamphlets, of multititudes of newspapers are long gone, we have the internet which in reality right now still cannot compare in scope to the media conglomerates today.

This is my doomsday prophecy: we choose in our own poison, and societally, in the West, it is the information of the rest of the world, and indeed within, worlds we would know next to nothing about, that spurs us to determine what we would fight for, at least vote for because fighting is something done a world away...

Edward Bernays is spouted as the Father of Public Relations, which I will get out of the way, I am not attacking him personally. The man was brilliant. Is brilliant, but his work has opened a new gateway into the human psyche that can be molded as it is naturally malleable. Public Relations in itself is just another phrase for what the government knows, and the people hear.

Call me what you want, but humans aren't stupid, yet they are at the same time, it all depends on the keyword heard, and what we know inside.

EDIT: I'm not bad typing drunk. Yay. Almost.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Custom User Title
    Citizen

Default Re: Edward Bernays: Brilliant Assassin of Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Da Skinna View Post
    The day of pamphlets, of multititudes of newspapers are long gone, we have the internet which in reality right now still cannot compare in scope to the media conglomerates today.
    Not entirely on topic (not a good sign for your first reply) but that is an interesting observation.
    Everyone that has access to the internet (so everyone here) has access to government sites, so can readily see exactly what is occurring. Likewise we all have access to various scientific papers. The thing is that you have to actually go and find the information for yourself, and sometimes decipher the arcane language of the state to see what is going on. The media is spoon-fed to us. Sometimes in Britain the broadcasters think it is a good idea to stop a film half way through to give a short dose of news, whether it be political or the latest celebrity gossip. The majority of political reporting is hidden behind a veil of opinion, where they try to explain event's not by the events themselves but by the motivations and machinations used to achieve it, and a short comment on what they think will be the end result. 'News' became 'News and Comment', and the 'Comment' seems to be taking over totally. Proper propaganda....
    I guess it is just easier this way, it would take all the time we have to be able to inform ourselves. We just have to take as many media sources as we can to cut through the agenda of each editor.

Sorry, you can have your discussion about Bernays back now....

Quote Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
    Not entirely on topic (not a good sign for your first reply) but that is an interesting observation.
    Everyone that has access to the internet (so everyone here) has access to government sites, so can readily see exactly what is occurring. Likewise we all have access to various scientific papers. The thing is that you have to actually go and find the information for yourself, and sometimes decipher the arcane language of the state to see what is going on. The media is spoon-fed to us. Sometimes in Britain the broadcasters think it is a good idea to stop a film half way through to give a short dose of news, whether it be political or the latest celebrity gossip. The majority of political reporting is hidden behind a veil of opinion, where they try to explain event's not by the events themselves but by the motivations and machinations used to achieve it, and a short comment on what they think will be the end result. 'News' became 'News and Comment', and the 'Comment' seems to be taking over totally. Proper propaganda....
    I guess it is just easier this way, it would take all the time we have to be able to inform ourselves. We just have to take as many media sources as we can to cut through the agenda of each editor.

Sorry, you can have your discussion about Bernays back now....

Don't be sorry, you have an interesting point, where opinion is made and given without any counterpoint, which is an (non)issue. We have information flowing one way, through telievision and radio like most people like it (who wants to go searching and deciphering when you can be given an opinion so readily?) without there being a real forum to propose a counterpoint, or opinion I guess, that challenges the one given and spurs people to decide, and in the process, think, about which one they can agree with.

Talk shows with panels are always nice, but Britney Spears and leaving her alone... doesn't equate to some more depressing issues that is so easily on call, but it's depressing so wants to address it? Right, the old fart nobody listens to anyways.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Check out Rush's Documentary theater for the real low down on this bum.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.