Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novgorod Campaign with SS 4.1, Lusted's CAI/BAI, VH/VH, and RC

Default Re: Novgorod Campaign with SS 4.1, Lusted's CAI/BAI, VH/VH, and RC

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorset View Post
    The problem is that playing these fations on VH is too hard, how are you supposed to invade west if you canīt afford an army to fight rebels?
    I agree with you about rebels. Reduce them editing rebel spawn to 100 and you'll have a very nice campaign.
    It's not fun chasing rebels around your big territories with 4\5 kazaki.

I disagree about difficult of Novgorod as VH. Novgorod is easy to play cause it is really strategically positioned. You can fight Poland\kiev and then face the others. Take kiev fast and you'll have some cash.

Try Hungary, Poland, Byzantium in VH campaing and let me know about it.

However every faction is easy if you don't use some house rules.

Like no save\reload, no pause during battles etc.

And i think that VH is VH ... it is not for everybody. You need to play a little at lower level to get experienced enough to face VH level.
    I said that VH is unfair before learning some mechanics of the game and understanding how to win in VH difficulty.
    There are factions that are far more worst than Novgorod in VH.

Finally CAI is something that really affect game difficulty cause some CAI will challenge you more than others.

Warriorset's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Making the very north-east provinces big money earners would give Kievan Rus & moreso Novgorod access to large incomes with no competition from other factions.
    Obviosly I was not talking about making the very north-east provinces big money earners, but only making it worth of keeping a settlement with a garrison... Really you didnīt have problems to make money with Novgorod in VH/VH being at war with someone?ŋ I couldnīt upgrade a single castle, my armies were bleeding me... youīre a super-player!

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Might help if Novgorod (and all factions for that matter) started the game with at least 1 town hall and a diplomat. At least you can go around selling off map information, trade rights, alliances which would help the finances in the early turns.

Equally all factions should start the game with at least 1 town or city.

Caesar, I agree with everything you said except that no other factions will take the north east provinces. In fact that is exactly what the Seljuk Sultanate has done to me. I haven't taken Kiev yet, but I have Warsaw, which is a decent money maker, and I'm still struggling with income.

I have only played three factions so far: France - too easy, Spain - medium, and Novgorod. So far, Novgorod has been the most difficult but also the funnest. I think it could use some fine tuning (rebels specifically) but that can be said of all factions. In general, I think that just because it's hard doesn't make it wrong.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vaxholm View Post
    Caesar, I agree with everything you said except that no other factions will take the north east provinces. In fact that is exactly what the Seljuk Sultanate has done to me. I haven't taken Kiev yet, but I have Warsaw, which is a decent money maker, and I'm still struggling with income.
    Really? The furthest I've ever seen the Seljuks get is Sarkel and never move further north. But that what makes a good game: when the AI does unexpected and different things

Take Kiev. Because it has a port on the Black Sea, it can make you easily 2k+ once you get it. Trade rights with the Byzantine Empire dont hurt either

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Seljuks made it all the way to Bulgar and then attempted to take Kirov a couple of times (effectively softening them up for me). However, the Mongols have just landed, and as soon as I see that war has broken out between them, I'll probably take Bulgar and Serkel quickly, as they have almost no troops stationed there.

I almost turned south to take Kiev last night, but my war with HRE was still looking kind of bleak and I decided not to fight on two fronts. It was a good decision for two reasons. The six star general that I had prepared to use against Kiev died two turns after I pulled him from their border. Also, I decided to counter attack HRE with my remaining troops at Stettin and won a key victory against a larger force at Hamburg.

HRE now looks like they are in trouble, because Hamburg was a key city for them (both in terms of troops and income). I think I'll be able to take Magdeburg as well shortly, which might put me in a position to force a peace treaty and gain another territory. If that happens, I think I'll try to knock out the Kievan Rus with a blitzkrieg and take the eastern provinces form the Seljuks. If I can do that, I should be sitting pretty.

Question for you, if all that goes as planned (big if) would it be better to pursue a campaign to the south, to central Europe, or to Western Europe? My gut says I should stay out of the middle east due to the Mongols and the desert warfare. Western Europe might be good, because I currently have a buffer zone of Poland as an ally. However, France and HRE are still formidable. If I take central Europe, I might be able to pick off the smaller empires like Hungary and Poland. But is there any wealth there? What do you think?

Take out Denmark and turn all their castles into cities. If you take all the cities around the baltic, you'll have yourself a very nice trading monopoly, especially if you get trade rights with England and Scotland.

Shouldn't I worry about losing reputation? I'm currently allied with Denmark.

Reputation is second to money, slaughter them if you can, they would do the same...

What about getting them to become a vassal? I've been wondering about this for awhile. If you're powerful enough to force a country to be a vassal, why not just eradicate them.

Any thoughts?

It is very difficult to get a vassal, but it could be interesting. You get a lot of cash from the vassal every turn and you can use them as cushion against hostile factions.

Send a diplomat first to break off the alliance.

As for vassalage, I once got Denmark as my vassal as Novgorod. However I then got greedy and demanded money from them and they broke the alliance. They didn't last long after that

Another update - HRE was called to the crusades, again, thus diverting their attention from me. So, for a second time, I used this as an opportunity to take another settlement. This time it was Magdeburg. This didn't make them very happy, so they sent a large army, maybe 800-1000 men to attack Hamburg, which was poorly defended due to my attack on Magdeburg. I only had one turn's notice, so I built some Dismounted Boyars Sons (by the way, what's the difference between this unit and the Dismounted Druzhina, I couldn't find one other than cost). and some Dvors. With about 400 men, I crushed their attack on Hamburg and took out about 5 trebuchets and catapults. For some reason, they decided to assault my castle right away without using they're siege weapons. I think this is because I had reinforcement coming from the other side of the map. Ever happened to you before?

I also discovered that they took Arhus from Denmark. So this will be my next target, as it will give me easy access to the Danes and Scandinavia. I'll definitely send a diplomat first, because there are some other allegiances between Denmark and some of my allies.

On the eastern front, the Turks have been attacked by the Mongols, and I think I'm only a few turns away from taking those couple of settlements they have in the east, as they're poorly defended. I'd really like to get a ceasefire with HRE first, but they're not having it.

I decided to hold off on building my military for awhile to work on my economy. I had only 8 cities out of 17 provinces (yikes), so I spent a few turns beefing up my economy. I've converted a number of castles to cities and my yearly profit is now sitting at about 3000 florins per turn (as opposed to break even before). I think I need to keep at least one strong castle at Bryansk to shore up the eastern front, even though I'm not using it actively. Also, the constant rebel spawns, Imams, and heretics are becoming a big problem since the regions are so large and difficult to defend.

To OP:

You made several drastic mistakes, you just asked for punishment

I played russian factions alot in SS with Lusted's files (VH/VH) and never had problems you got.

First of all, you went to take Helsinki, which is catholic settlement, which is wrong.

Second, you dont need big armies to take russian rebels, as you said, it's underdeveloped cities, so small army is enough. You know, if you unable to take rebels with underdog army, it's would be dificult for you to develop successfully.

And third... I dunno how you going into bankrupt. If i can't afford positive income, i do not build army. Even dismiss some regiments if desperate.
    It's house rule to maintain building progression, really. Exra settlements is not that important, as early economy foundation.

You really must be able to take Minsk+Moscow+Ryazan+Smolensk (and you dont need more at start!) with starting army (with probably some retrain), or you just doing something wrong!
    Wicked Lamb

You're correct, I made a lot of these mistakes early on, but have sense corrected them. One thing I'll disagree with you on is the taking of Helsinki. The fact that it's Catholic is fairly insignificant to me, but it's a castle, not a city to start with and very small. It's probably not worth taking until Riga and some others have gone. Still, Denmark will go after Helsinki, so if you're not careful, you could end up with the Danes at your back door. I think you need to take Helsinki and convert it to a town in order to get the port for trading, but I wouldn't ignore it too long.

For anyone interested, I've now got this campaign well under control and have moved far into Western Europe. HRE still won't ceasefire with me... Anyways, picked up Cardiff in an alliance with Scotland and bought Bucharest off of Kiev (then they attacked Bucharest immediately after...weird, then I had to pay them for a ceasefire). Here's a pic of the current state.

Nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12