Thread: Campaign Ideas; may be posted on Lordz forums later.

Default Campaign Ideas; may be posted on Lordz forums later.

There are numerous campaign ideas and systems floating around with N2TW users. There are grid maps, there are clan campaigns, etc. Some of these have really taken off, and are pretty good for how they work.

I have some ideas on standardizing and making a real-time campaign that I'd like to share with N2 players.

First, the campaign map;
    After the nations involved are decided and clans/people have chosen sides, (explained later) a historical map is used. It would be a real-time (pseudo-realtime) campaign, where the generals of the two sides would have the same historical map. They would decide where their Army's main depot would be; what units were stationed where in peacetime; and the reasons for the decision to go to War (this will help for the Campaign Objectives).

Now, I understand that movement on a real map would be hard to follow along with in theory. That can be fixed easily with some emailing and patience among players and generals of both sides.

After much deliberation, for instance, the French Marshall in command of the campaign's French Nation may decide to collect the Army at Metz, while the Prussian General builds up HIS Army in Luxembourg and awaits say, British intervention forces there.

The forces already at the border and instantly ready to campaign are limited to what the nations can supply at 2000 florins of lower-tier units (so for the French, the Old Guard would not be availible, only Fusiliers and maybe a Grenadier battalion, but mostly national Guard troops).

Then the generals plan routes for their armies. Using Paint, PS, or whatever else, they draw the army's routes on the map (the majority of the field armies are scattered over the country, so it would take a few days for them to reach the front) to the gathering point/depot.

Various players are given commands based on their experience (the system of [N] Clan is good, starting as Major in the Army) and starting positions, along with what units they command. In MP N2TW battles, these players will have to get those units only, until their commanders give them other units.

Basically, using this idea, it will be literally reenacting virtually and tactically; that is to say, not sticking to history but making it, but at the same pace it was made, if only sped up a little.

Of course, it will suck at first to be a major, for instance, stationed in Lyon and having to wait to take part in battles until three or four days after the campaign has started, but once you get there the action won't stop.

Supply and Weather:
    My idea for weather was to use the weather! More specifically, use realtime weather over the part of the world we're in as a lead. So if I'm playing as a Major of Infantry, moving my battalion to Dover from London, and today there is a hailstorm between London and Dover, it will make my troops 2/3 as efficient or whatnot, delaying my arrival time. Likewise, if two armies are meeting for battle and it's rainy that day, for the love of dry powder they may want to delay a day!

Supply; Easy. Each side's generals choose a supply depot for their army, where the nation's supplies for that particular army will go.

Among the Officers of the SAME SIDE, the general will draw a route on the map that the supply train will take. Only officers of that nation will know, and it's up to them to make sure they don't get cut off from that supply route.

"How, then, will an enemy cut off your supply route?"

Easy fix as well. The Honor system. When an enemy is getting close on the map to your supply route (i.e. enemy cavalry patrols get within ten miles) you have to show them your supply route, and your cut off from supplies. A simple system of daily amounts of supplies brought TO your depot and USED by forces at hand dictates if you lose any efficency (so that if you're storing up for a whole Army, and only have a corps on hand, you won't be suffering while two other corp's food just sits)

You must then re-route your supply trains, and it would take as long as normal for supplies to start flowing again into your depots.

Any thoughts or questions? Spread the word among N2 users and clans; this could be the next big thing if we get a dozen players or so... hopefully more!!!
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Campaign Ideas; may be posted on Lordz forums later.

hey we played a game or 2 tonight i believe. i be willing to join... but you supply the map...

I prob give Austria a go but at the time they were the Ostrak-Magyars (Austro-Hungarians till the 1880's[may be wrong haven't checked in a while]

so sure. as long as it stays organised. (what map we talkin? all of europe?(or most of it?) western europe exclusively? north Exclusively?
    Last edited by Paul d; October 03, 2007 at 11:54 PM.

yeah I saw you. I was having mad computer issues. Well I was mad, my computer was having issues... made for a grumpy me! lol...

The map I have in mind is a map of France with the borders of Germany, Belgium, Southern Netherlands, Britain, Northern Spain, etc... so the campaign would be a French Campaign (i.e. someone invades France).

I think with some cooperation it would remain organized.

Tomorrow hopefully I'll have a forum solely for this idea up and running;

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Napoleoni...ign/index.php?
    Yes, I hate the fact RTW is out and I still have a Japanese title. Come on now admins- let's get with the program.

okay. I will be Austria (Ostrak-Maygars as i have said.) I will Aid Prussia, or Brunswick in the invasion.

do we need to create a standard army? (ie what a regular army will be composed of?)

also, how will cash be regulated? i read the post, but elaborate more please.
    woot 1st member of yer forum!
    Last edited by Paul d; October 04, 2007 at 09:11 PM.

Giving it a go eh? I like your spirit. Make sure that you post this on our site so the older folks can find it. They are normally gumming around in their wheelchairs so they will need a link handed to them.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Empress Meg View Post
    Giving it a go eh? I like your spirit. Make sure that you post this on our site so the older folks can find it. They are normally gumming around in their wheelchairs so they will need a link handed to them.

Devoirs The Empress

nice one

oscarreeve's Avatar Getafix Loyal Companion

So, does this mean u are making a campaing map for Napelonic total war

My Army ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by oscarreeve View Post
    So, does this mean u are making a campaing map for Napelonic total war
    No, this is an unoffical online campaign. Trust me, you do not want an SP campaign where the RTW engine is given muskets that it won't use.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Eagle Standard

Hmmm an online campaign, how does that work?

Generally, you hook up with someone running the campaign, you play a few MP games, move your pieces around in whatever fashion the campaign allows and then fight a few more. It's basically about battles rather then empire management, though some do have that in there as well. Some are more indepth then others of course.

I think the best way of doing this is to visit each site and see which one you like the best. Here is a link to the Lordz forum which houses the MP campaigns, you can see which one takes your facy or contact the creator to find out more.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Eagle Standard