Thread: AI Profiles?

Default AI Profiles?

I was wondering just what exactly do the AI profiles limit and encourage the AI to do? I've heard talk in other mods, well one.. in development, of the AI sticking to a very guided victory condition. The ideal 'empire' for each faction, limiting them within a sensible border that they want to conquer and maintain, rather than the barbarous AI conquering anything and everything that's available, eventually resulting in one faction taking over the entire map.

Something I always found annoying, as a faction like Milan (quite often) goes to conquer all of western Europe, leaving me in the east just going.. "wtf..?"
    It has been said that players don't limit themselves, and I would love one to be pointed out. I believe that most if not all TW players limit themselves to an idea that they have for their empire. They don't just go wildly conquering every province on their borders. Even someone playing as Byzantium, with the lofty ambition of a new Rome doesn't conquer every last province on the map. Since it has been brought up in the planning of another mod, as a real part in the campaign AI I was wondering what GrandViz thought of this, or even planned to include something similar in later iterations of UAI?

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: AI Profiles?

Hi Smarmy,

of course there is more than one way to play the game, and I absolutely understand people, that want to see a reasonable self-restricting AI, that will act within its historical borders. And although I love this idea, I honestly think that the M2TW game engine is much too simplistic, to achieve such a goal.

The problem is, that the campaign AI scripts do not offer the means, to describe e.g. certain provinces as targets or priorities for targets, except for entire factions. There are many more examples, why certain features cannot be realized with the M2TW engine. As long as CA does not uncover more options for us modders, I have to work with that what is offered, and this is not much. M2TW is no EU3, and it obviously never will be.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan