Thread: Turning off persistent arrows?

Default Turning off persistent arrows?

I, for one, am a person who uses obscene amounts of archers, and while the realism of arrows staying on the ground is nice. It's a very painful hit to my frame rate after 4-5 units of archers have released half their volleys. (That's the most archers I've been willing to use with real combat, my frame rate will take a hit even with just 2-3 units.)
    So I was wondering where in the descr_projectile, or which ever file, am I to fix this? Be it changing a value (turning on the 'life-span' of the arrow), or deleting a segment of code.

Icon14 Re: Turning off persistent arrows?

I got a bit too much of a performance hit myself so I did some investigating. The key for a quick fix lies with the variable "play_time" in the file "descr_effect_impacts.txt". I did some testing of various values and leaving the arrows/bolts in the ground for three minutes seemed like a good tradeoff between the added effect and performance. Here's a file with those values in case you'd like to try it out. Remember to backup or rename the original UltimateAI descr_effect_impacts.txt for eventual replacement of reference.

http://w13.easy-share.com/6632161.html
    You drunken spinning mule, you!

Default Re: Turning off persistent arrows?

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue. I think I've seen it as well in my campaign.

First, do the arrows stay on the ground as a result of the high settings I use? Before I upgraded my video card, I think they disappeared on lower settings.

Second, could someone post a step by step process explaining how to reduce the time they are on the ground? I found the file, but I want to be sure I am changing the right value to the right number.

Thanks.

Code:
    effect_set arrow_impact_ground_set

{
    	;play_time 5
    	lod 1000
    	{
    		arrow_ground_impact
    		bullet_impact_ground_small

}
    }
    Remove the ; and change the number(seconds) after play_time. Further down in the file you will also see the same setting for other weapons like "effect_set bolt_impact_ground_set" that you can also set accordingly. The ones where play_time has a ; in front are the ones that are set to last forever, as setting a ; at the beginning of a line makes the game skip the rest of that line.
    You drunken spinning mule, you!

Thank you, I'll have to try it out.

Any idea if the game settings (hi low med graphical settings) dictate if arrows last forever or if it is just static?

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Thanks!

I just took a screen shot of probably 50,000 arrows in the ground, lost 10-15fps. looking forward to trying this.

BTW i lost the screen shot in vista, i hit prt screen, ctrl alt del out, open paint and ctrl v but it took a screen of my desktop instead. does vista work differently?

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

If this is on behalf of all, then I can update that file with more reasonable play times and add it to the bugfix thread.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

GrandViZ, I replace infinite arrows with around 30 second ones, that way they don't disappear as soon as they hit the ground but stay long enough to give the desired effect with out frame loss. I do this with a top of the line system, so I'm sure others would like something similar.

BTW, Ive never tried your mod, only pieces via other mods. I'm really looking forward to playing a large mod with your complete AI modifications, with all due respect to the modders I'm far from impressed in general by any overall AI Ive played yet, and I'm to lazy to do it myself.
    Last edited by scivian; October 19, 2007 at 05:39 AM.

grandviz, how do you replace infinite arrows with around 30 second ones? am also getting fps hit. thank you

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Here is the updated file. Just place it in the UAI data folder.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

You can change these to 30 seconds as well (They are currently set to 1 sec in above posted files):

effect_set arrow_impact_wall_set
    effect_set arrow_flaming_impact_wall_set
    effect_set javelin_impact_wall_set
    effect_set large_arrow_impact_wall_set
    effect_set bolt_impact_wall_set_wall_set
    effect_set steel_bolt_impact_wall_set

This will allow you to have longer arrow impacts seen on walls. The only problem is if a wall collapses, you will still see the arrows in midair where they impacted until the time you set runs out. But, its still a nice effect if you want to see burning arrows all over buildings and walls.
    Last edited by Tikigod; October 28, 2007 at 06:47 AM.