Thread: Viking crusades?

Default Viking crusades?

Okay, before everyone flames me because the Vikings weren't Christian, hear me out. I am suggesting that perhaps the crusade/voting for pope thing could be altered (especially considering that crusades don't appear for about 300 years) to be a call to sack a certain settlement. The votes could be for a viking high king (which they had).

There were several cases historically of Viking high kings calling on their subservient neighbors to assist them in attacking a city. Some of them even attempted to sack Miklagard (Constantinople). I know that you guys are probably steeped in work already for this mod (it looks great, by the way!), but I just thought that this might add a new level of gameplay. Especially if you could return the "sack settlement" command to its previous and historically accurate use in RTW:BI (destroying almost everything, taking the cash and leaving the settlement in rebel hands).

I know nothing about scripting, really, so this may be impossible, but the Imperial mod seems to have altered it to elect the Holy Roman Emperor. Use it, or don't. I leave it in your most capable hands.
    "But love will best judge what may hurt or edify; and if we let love be our guide, all will be safe." -John Calvin

Default Re: Viking crusades?

The Pope mechanism is unfortunently hardcoded and really difficult to modify (according to what I've read from the coders) but I do like your idea a lot. Perhaps the codders (actually well just Samurai since he's the only codder we have) can look into making a seperate system.
    Team Member of Wrath of the Norsemen M2TW Mod (3D Modeller)
    Economic Left/Right: 8.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

There was viking high king, ever, unless you're talking about the viking high kings of Ireland (I believe there were a few of those).

There were some cooperative raid operations, yes, but not in the way you present them.
    Least of all a "high king" of all vikings.

We've considered the idea before, and it's been discarded several times.

Thanks for the input though!

Oh man, dammit mocker you had to shoot that idea down.

*Tells the other Vikings the raid is off*
    Team Member of Wrath of the Norsemen M2TW Mod (3D Modeller)
    Economic Left/Right: 8.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

We're looking at ways to bring in raiding as a game mechanic, but it's most likely that it will be done through the missions system, if it's done at all. Or maybe through more arcane scripting methods, who knows these things.

unless you're talking about the viking high kings of Ireland (I believe there were a few of those)
    There is reputed to have been one, Thorgest/Turgesius, who all but took over the island in the mid-9th century, levying a danegeld and turning the largest monastery into a pagan shrine. However, where most Norse rulers in Irish sources are corroborated in other traditions, the only mention of this guy is a single Irish source, the Wars of the Gaels and the Foreigners, an early medieval tract which is essentially propaganda for the house of Thomond, and would have it believed that Ireland was utterly at the mercy of the Viking invaders until they were all but single-handedly undone by their illustrious ancestor, the "imperator scotorum" Brian Boruime. So his story is not really taken seriously, and he isn't in the "official" Roll of the Kings. He was probably modelled on a successful early raider/colonist though.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

maybe use the jihad funktion? i wouldn't force someone like a high king

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

We're not having pagan priest characters.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

I like what he said about sacking though. Sacking stuff in M2TW just means you get more money and worse reputation - but you're not burning anything down and you don't really get that much money anyway. As far as Viking high kings go, we only have 4 viking factions, and there were likely a lot more than 4 Viking kings at any given time during the "Viking age", so whoever is the king of either of these four factions could probably be considered a high king by those days' standards. Calling them high kings in the game but not being able to represent the minor Viking kingdoms would be rather silly, however.
    Last edited by Beiss; October 03, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

IrAr's Avatar Senator

Nevermind, I missed a post. This was already suggested.

Member of Anno Domini: Italia Invicta
    This makes me a happy half armenian panda--John I Tzimisces