Thread: io file question

Default io file question

I've seen numerous fixes and mods that require the io file switch.

I'm not computer illiterate (at least, not the hardware side) but I have no idea what this is or how to make it. Can someone please explain it to me or point me to somewhere that does?

nnnm's Avatar Senator

Default Re: io file question

add space then io.file_first

add the line --io.file_first to your shortcut

Thank you for your responses, but what shortcut? Where do I add it there?

Well, when you installed Kingdoms you got 4 new shortcuts on your desktop. One for each of the Campaigns.

Right click on one of them and chose Properties, in the Target field add the line --io.file_first

A alternative way to do it is to make a bat file in your Medieval II Total War folder which by default is the following folder:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

To make a bat file just right click in that folder and chose New/Text Document name the document anything you like just make sure it ends whit .bat like this:

play.bat

Now right click on the new file you just made and chose Edit put this line in thre

kingdoms.exe --features.mod=mods/crusades --io.file_first

This one is for Crusaders Campaign
    Replace the crusades part whit
    teutonic for Teutonic Campaign
    british_isles for Brittania Campaign
    americas for America Campaign

To play dubble click on play.bat

Aaaaaah okay.

I actually chose not to install the shortcuts on my desktop as I prefer a super minimalist desktop. I just run Kingdoms it from the autoloader or the launcher on the CD.

I created a new text document in the M2 folder, C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War and (named it modgame.bat) but it just looks likes a regular text file. Anyhow, so far so good. But I don't have an edit option with the right click and when I open it up with the left click it just opens like a regular text file and putting the line has no effect.

Yes I appear hopeless but we are slowly making progress.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; October 03, 2007 at 09:10 PM.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

If you can't edit file extentions in windows, rename it in dos (run -> cmd) or save it as a .bat file in notepad.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss View Post
    If you can't edit file extentions in windows, rename it in dos (run -> cmd) or save it as a .bat file in notepad.
    Hey it worked! I can now use the switches to activate the campaigns. Thanks a lot to those who helped me out.

hi there would u need to use this for the original M2tw or just kingdoms ? if u need to use it for M2tw can some1 jst give me an example as im not sure where in the shortcut to put it lol
    ty

This is my Medieval 2 shortcut:
    "C:\Games\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first

Just replace the folder with a correct one. I don't install into the program files folder because Vista isn't to keen on extracting files into that folder somehow.