Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [BI AAR] Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign: The Saxons

Default [BI AAR] Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign: The Saxons

This is a continuation of the Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign, located here.

We will play as the Saxons, as they were the second most popular faction.

The rules are very simple.

-A player can only play for ten turns;
    -A player can only capture five provinces (overwise, AARs will get too long);
    -Each player reserves the right to play as few turns as they wish and pass it on to the next person.

To do this efficiently, I ask that you email the file to the next player, rather than upload it to the site. You can find their addresses in their Profile Page.

You have 48 hours to register with me, either in the thread or by PM. At that point I will list the players in the order in which they signed up.

I, obviously, will be playing the first turn. Difficulty will be H/H, unless there is significant outcry that it doesn't suit them.

PLAYERS

1. ~The Doctor~ (Currently has the save)
    2. xingjianma
    3. Severous
    4. Paul D

Finally, have fun!
    Last edited by Medicus; October 04, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Default Re: Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign: The Saxons

Does this mean that once we take 3 regions, we're done? And how much content do we need in the writeup? Do we need say some screenshots for each battle, or just a few to show our progress?

I'm game if I can play early, i.e. before the 8th when I start school. So if no one else has signed up yet, then I'm in.

Just curious. Why H/H though? Is there any advantage of it compared to VH/VH besides being easier?

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Hi

Im in please. Harder the better but happy enough at h/h.

Can we try huge scale?
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Quote Originally Posted by xingjianma View Post
    Does this mean that once we take 3 regions, we're done? And how much content do we need in the writeup? Do we need say some screenshots for each battle, or just a few to show our progress?
    If you want me to, I can change it. Besides, taking three provinces will give you more than enough to write up.

The more screenshots, the better, but don't write a entire novel.

Just curious. Why H/H though? Is there any advantage of it compared to VH/VH besides being easier?
    H/H is the difficulty I play at most, and frankly, VH/VH just adds too much of an advantage to the AI. +10 to their morale, and 10,000 extra per turn.

Hi

Im in please. Harder the better but happy enough at h/h.

Can we try huge scale?
    Hmmm... I'm not sure. What does everyone else think?

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

hmm i maybe join this... maybe.... but i can run huge...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    hmm i maybe join this... maybe.... but i can run huge...
    That's why I think we should stick with large.

My PC can't render grass in the game, I hate to think what would happen with huge units...

No, I think the current settings are fine. Just needed some clarification.
    I've got no problems with huge. I'm more used to it then others anyway.

@Doc: Have you started it?

@Doc: Have you started it?
    No, I'm waiting a bit for more players.

I'll start it up tomorrow.

So have we decided on unit scale?

Large - that's the default, right?

TBH, I've never changed it...

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

Grass is a big drain on your pc. Turning if off and other settings down makes the bigger battles run better. You can change these settings during a battle...but not the unit scale. Thats fixed whole campaign.

Prefer huge cos it looks better and the impact it has on town populations. Small towns/barbarians hurt by huge scale as they dont have the population to pump out unit after unit.

It seems its only you Doc who are apprehensive about huge. Try a custom battle...full stack on full stack.

Up to you my friend.

Main thing I like to see is a fast moving succession...that doesnt go dead for days on end.

Never played Saxons. Looking forward to it.
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

as saxons heres the scoop:

your economy will go down the crapper, so you have to blitz someone before you're at -3000 or greayer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d View Post
    as saxons heres the scoop:

your economy will go down the crapper, so you have to blitz someone before you're at -3000 or greayer
    I've played them before. All I can say is that the trade prospects in Denmark aren't too good.

I expect to play my ten turns later today.

hey, put me as a maybe, i never officially joined... im a maybe... do we need AAR? if so, RPing or a breif report?

Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign: The Saxons
    Part One

It is 363 AD. The Roman Empire has fractured in half, but together remains the most powerful nation in Europe. In the wilds of Germania, the wilderness of Dacia, the eastern land of Persia, and the far-off land of Scythia, barbarian nations wait, plan, and plot...

In the distant region of Germania that will one day be known as Denmark, the King of the Saxons plans the expansion of his people. He dispatches his son, Freawine, to conquer the settlement of Campus Chatii. Winter falls before the heir of Saxony arrives and lays siege to the small town, but already a Saxon spy has revealed the resistance to be found inside the village.

A year passes since Freawine and his 300 men left Vicus Saxones before the assault on Campus Chattii finally begins...

The defences of the settlement are extremely light. Two hastily organized units of peasants, a Spear Warband, and the General and his bodyguard, Chnomodemar. The Saxons fall into formation: our Saxon Keel and Levy Spearmen in front, our Hunters in the middle, and finally Freawine at the back. The battering ram begins banging against the gate. Meanwhile, our Hunters fire flaming arrows at any peasants too foolish to get close.

The pitiful gate that the Rebels have put together does not last long. Our infantry literally pour through the gate, pushing aside any opposition. It is not long before the entire army is within the town's walls. Time and time again the peasants assault the Saxons, but every time they are driven back. Finally, Chnomodemar himself goes into the fray - and this is when Freawine finally unleashes his cavalry reserves.

Though the Keel are badly hurt, we emerge triumphant. After the Commander's death, the battle is, for all intents and purposes, over. Campus Chattii is ours.

The Saxons waste no time. If they are to survive, they need an army, and they need cash. The nearby Rebel provinces are easy pickings, but they won't bring in much. Besides, Campus Frisii is being eyed greedily by the Romans. Gelder, King of the Saxons, decides to target the Franks to the South. Scouting out the region reveals that most of the Frankish Army is fighting the Alemanni - a perfect time to strike. Unfortunately, things do not go well for the assasin sent to damage the Frankish war effort.

Good riddance.

Freawine and his small force return to Vicus Saxones, to prepare for the task ahead. In 365, Freawine and his father, Gelder - now known as "the Cunning", set off south with the Saxon Army, totaling about six hundred men. Their target? The loosely defended city of Vicus Franki...

I'll update later today. What do you think?

Pretty good. Like your narrations\

Pretty good. Like your narrations\
    Well, I hope so. I'm trying to gain the position of Content Writer.

I forgot to mention that the unit scale is Large. My PC can run Huge, it just doesn't... feel right.

Barbarian Invasion Succession Campaign: The Saxons
    Part Two

By the winter of 365, Gelder's plans to conquer the Franks are underway. The Saxon spy reaches Vicus Franki, and reveals the defenses ahead of us. Good news for us, but not for him. It is truly a loss when a competent spy is killed in action.

In 366, the Saxon Army besieges the Frankish Capital - the war has begun. Our newest son, Etelgis, is on his way from Vicus Saxones with reinforcements, so Gelder decides to continue the siege. It is hoped that with three Frankish Generals inside, that the upcoming battle will effectively decapitate the Frankish leadership.

Gelder isn't stupid. He knows that the only reason there are so few troops in Vicus Franki is because they are most likely to be in another province, conquering another tribe... Still, it can't be helped. Capturing one of the largest and most advanced provinces East of the Rhine will help the Saxon cause greatly.

The New Testament is formulated? Huh, that's... interesting. If you were a Christian. If you're a smelly barbarian than you couldn't give a ****. By far the most important event of 367 in the barbarian world is the fall of Vicus Franki.

The battle is a very bloody affair. Half of the Saxons are killed, and the heir apparent, Freawine. It is not surprising that the Saxons do not go into specifics regarding the battle - only the end result.

The Franks survive, unfortunately. They have a small settlement to the East, but Gelder doesn't consider it a threat. The size of the garrison vs. the size of the settlement means that they are going to be DEEP in debt. Instead, the Saxons, recuperating in Vicus Franki, soon to be named something more... appropriate, prepare to march south - into the lands of the Alemanni...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1645

Good luck, xingjianma.
    Last edited by Medicus; October 04, 2007 at 01:12 AM.

Good job against the Franks. The Saxons should be ready to roll now eh?

BTW I think you made a mistake.

the fall of Vicus Saxones
    Woot, my turn.

EDIT: Can we be allowed to capture more than 3 regions? Because this is only my 3rd turn, and I've already captured Vicus Alemmanni, with Augusta Vindelicorum about to fall in a turn. I feel it's too short. Especially as the campaign goes on, it's quite likely that there will be numerous regions captured in a single turn, so...
    Last edited by xingjianma; October 04, 2007 at 03:42 AM.

EDIT: Can we be allowed to capture more than 3 regions? Because this is only my 3rd turn, and I've already captured Vicus Alemmanni, with Augusta Vindelicorum about to fall in a turn. I feel it's too short. Especially as the campaign goes on, it's quite likely that there will be numerous regions captured in a single turn, so...
    Sure, go ahead. But remember we need to take Britannia to win...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast