Thread: Economics in E:TW

GeneralMonck's Avatar Civis

Default Economics in E:TW

MTW and M2TW both tried to incorporate the influence of religion in that period as much as possible into the campaign. I hope they do the same with respect to economics in ETW. Im not sure exactly how they can do this without overcomplicating the game (anyone who played Raiload Tycoon II will know what Im talking about)

Factions should have different options for how they develop their empires such as the Spanish model (exploit indigenous pop for resources) the French Model (small, strategic trading posts for select trade goods) or the English model (repopulation with imported Europeans and african slaves)

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages

- Adam Smith

Default Re: Economics in E:TW

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMonck View Post
    MTW and M2TW both tried to incorporate the influence of religion in that period as much as possible into the campaign. I hope they do the same with respect to economics in ETW. Im not sure exactly how they can do this without overcomplicating the game (anyone who played Raiload Tycoon II will know what Im talking about)

Factions should have different options for how they develop their empires such as the Spanish model (exploit indigenous pop for resources) the French Model (small, strategic trading posts for select trade goods) or the English model (repopulation with imported Europeans and african slaves)
    I agree that economics should play a crucial role in ETW. Most of the wars fought by Britain were about trade at this time - as opposed to religion, politics or direct political power. Naval blocade should have a significant impact on economies and factions in general. I'm not talking about the odd privateer but sustained and focussed blocades by entire navies.

The economic dimension of the game is far greater than in previous TW titles, and also far more important. Very important, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamis View Post
    The economic dimension of the game is far greater than in previous TW titles, and also far more important. Very important, actually.
    Lovely.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Thats great it will be fun to ruin other nations economies and then see them crumble.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Maréchal_Martin's Avatar Libertus

Very good news. I wonder though if resources could be implemented, because as it is, everything only costs money, and manpower. I'd like to see resources in regions give other bonuses, as well as trade bonuses. For instance, I don't know, iron and bronze deposits could lower the cost of artillery or something.

I'd love to see a supply system for armies.

GeneralMonck's Avatar Civis

Wow, thanks to CA for getting back so quick. Thats excellent news. Im a complete nerd when it comes to economic computer games (the hours spent on Capitalism 2 still boggle the mind) so it will be nice, not to mention historically accurate, to have this in the game.

I have to say Im pretty impressed with CA's work on Empire, not that they had given anyone any reason to doubt, its just that they seem to have really invested time and energy into all aspects of the game, not just tech advances, which is what most developers do with sequels.

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages

- Adam Smith

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

YAY! :tacticalw