Thread: Consumer Culture Consequences challenge

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Default Consumer Culture Consequences challenge

So one of my favorite shows on NPR - Marketplace - is running the Consumer Consequences challenge. Click on the link below and it will ask you questions about where you live, how you get around, what you eat, and your spending habits. The program will then calculate how many extra planet Earths if every human lived like you.

http://sustainability.publicradio.or...rconsequences/

I got bonus points for recycling often, having a modest home for America (1,200 square feet), carpooling, and driving a fuel efficient car. I lost a lot of points for being into electronics, eating out too much, and liking beef, coffee and beer.

My total - I use 2.8 earth's worth of resources.

I'm putting this in the political academy forum because the challenge touches on both consumerism (economy) and political policy issues. BTW I am not a backwoods hippie or communist by any stretch of the imagination - but it's interesting to see just how my lifestyle's impacting things.

El Brujo's Avatar Campidoctor
    Texas. The greatest state in the C.S. of A.

Default Re: Consumer Culture Consequences challenge

Why go through all the trouble of recycling and stuff when you can just pay Al Gore to do it for you? I would have played the little game you linked to, but it said I would be helping journalists.
    Last edited by El Brujo; September 28, 2007 at 11:04 PM.