Default Re: Portugal - Faction Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by darkly View Post
    Some portuguese units:

Ordenanças

http://purl.pt/homepage/1163/1163_1078.jpg

and Cassadores:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Infanterie.jpg

I hope they had put this units in the game for Portugal.:hmmm:
    Doubt it, portugal will most likely be a spanish clone, since the only factions supposed to be played are the "12", the others are just nobodies of the 18th century(or more presisely the 21th century) which have to be modded to be played, because they wouldnt have stood a chance against the other "great" 12 powers.
    Last edited by Empress Meg; February 24, 2009 at 05:00 PM.

it is a pity, but shiny winged hussars seem to be more important than 1 of most important empires of the age.

Civis

anyways who needs ca for unlocking facs? any1 can unlock it manually.

yeah, but most certainly they will have much variety as dacia or thrace from rtw.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Portugal 17/18th century – economical/financial brief very summarized History

1 - World God Production

Pre- 18th century:

1493-1600

World Gold Output:
    Portuguese colonies 8153
    Americas 8976
    Europe 4758
    Other 1080

18th century

a) 1704

World Annual gold production: ± 350,000 ounces
    Gold output in Brazil -approaching 200,000 ounces and rising

b) 1750

Main gold producers (troy ounces)

Brazil 500 - 550,000
    África 75-100,000
    Chile 35 - 40,000
    Peru: 25-30,000
    Mexico 25-30,000
    Bolívia 10-15,000
    África 75-100,000

2 - Brazil was the most powerful military European colony in South America.

3 - Spice trade

Number of ships sailing to Asia from Europe 1500-1700

Netherlands: 1835
    Portugal: 1078
    England: 815
    France: 155
    Other countries: 54

4 - The gold - and diamonds - has brought Portugal an excess of liquidity(Robert C. Smith)

5 - The monetary and financial history of Europe, especially England’s, was substantially affected by the Portugal’s crucial role in importing and distributing massive amounts of Brazilian gold.
    As Adam Smith recognized, Brazilian gold was an essential element in the growth of British economy - and it helped to lay the basis for the Industrial Revolution:
    “... Almost all our gold, it is said, comes from Portugal. With other nations, the balance of trade is either against as, or not much in our favour….. It was upon this notion, however, that England could not subsist without the Portugal trade, that, towards the end of the late war, France and Spain, without pretending either offence or provocation, required the king of Portugal to exclude all British ships from his ports”

6 -First half of the century

Attempts to industrialize in the first half of the century were not pursued as vigorously as they had been because it was easier to derive amazing wealth from shipments of gold from Portugal's colony in Brazil.

7-Second half of the century

The second half of the 18th century, especially the l780s and l790s were a time of greatly increased commercial prosperity. For the first time since 1740, the balance of trade with Britain began to run in Portugal's favor, with credits in 1790-1792 and 1794-1795. The main significance of the second half of the eighteenth century for Portuguese social structure was the development for the first time of a relatively strong, wealthy, and independent mercantile upper middle class not tied to the aristocracy.
    During the last years of the century Portugal was exporting to England goods valued over a million pounds sterling more than what England was returning.

Over the course of the eighteenth century, Spanish and Portuguese colonial commerce expanded rapidly with far reaching effects on the region's economies and societies. In the second half of the century, agents of the Spanish and Portuguese Crowns introduced political and economic reforms designed to "modernize" their commercial systems. The Bourbon and Pombaline reforms attacked vested interests, dismantled long-standing institutions, and lifted barriers to trade, all with the goal of boosting Crown revenues, expanding imperial commerce, and reducing territorial and economic encroachments by foreign powers. The resulting "golden era" was abruptly interrupted by the outbreak of the Wars of the French Revolutionand Napoleon and ultimately paved the way for independence of most of the Latin American colonies

Sources

Paper - "The Fall, the Rise and the Persistence of bimetallism in Portugal 1435-1854"
    A.S. Pereira Department of Economics University of York

Books: -The World Economy, a Millennial Perspective" A. Maddison
    - First Global Village. M Page

Session abstract - The Iberian Transatlantic Commercial World in an Era of Reform and War, 1750-1821, August 2009, Utrecht
    XVth World Economic Congress.
    First Global Village. M Page
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 24, 2009 at 12:28 PM.

You are all putting apart the possebility of Portugal being the 12 faction... do you know which will be?

1st thing I think that C.A. decided long ago not to put portugal since they maked the map, if you look carefully you can see that in america the map ends (in the south part), when the portuguese territory starts (Brazil), couldnt they put some part of brasil, since they started the south america in the map, its just stupid.

I hear many polish people saiying that polish empire was bigger than portuguese bla bla bla, thats only true in the game where many of the portuguese colonies arent in, only with africa colonies portugal can cover 2 poilish empires, the thing is that people talk talk talk but they dont even know the portuguese history, and territories.

Soory for my somewhat bad english

Cumps

Go Portugal!

PS good work on your post L
    Ludicus

Quote Originally Posted by Toern View Post
    it is a pity, but shiny winged hussars seem to be more important than 1 of most important empires of the age.
    Well... I cannot charge in full gallop through the enemy lines with "1 of the most important empires of the age"

Besides there always are mods to unlock all other factions.
    Last edited by Łukomski; February 24, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
    No Signature

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

I hear many polish people saiying that the (x) empire was bigger than (y) empire.
    We should think carefully before comparing empires. In general, it´s not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    We should think carefully before comparing empires. In general, it´s not a good idea.
    yes but in the majoraty of cases, they talk about size, and am shure that in that aspect portugal was bigger than polony, sweden, prussia and austrai at leastxD

can you tell me which is the 12 faction?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodfather View Post
    I hear many polish people saiying that polish empire was bigger than portuguese bla bla bla, thats only true in the game where many of the portuguese colonies arent in, only with africa colonies portugal can cover 2 poilish empires, the thing is that people talk talk talk but they dont even know the portuguese history, and territories.
    By the same assumption I can say that also lot of portuguse don't even know polish history... do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus
    Holy words
    No Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Łukomski View Post
    By the same assumption I can say that also lot of portuguse don't even know polish history... do they?
    Yes, I personly dont know the polish history, i can only talk about the history, and in that point i am right

Yes, I personly dont know the polish history, i can only talk about the history, and in that point i am right
    Right? You use the argument about lack of knowledge of Poles about portuguese history as your moral ground, while in the same time you admit your own lack of knowledge about polish history. I think that's called hipocrisy or ignorance. History doesn't ends on Portugal.
    No Signature

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

- OT comment removed - Please keep things civil - Elrond

Comparing Poland, with one of the most important and powerful empires of all time isn't very smart. We started the Age of Discovery. We established colonies in South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, we were one of the few European powers to be allowed to trade with Japan. And isn't only in the Age of Discovery that you can see our greatness, our ancestors resisted and leaded by one of the few man that was capable of confronting and defeating the Romans made their lives a living hell, only by betrayal the Romans managed to kill Viriato. Our first king defeated is mother to gain us independence and we and the Spanish drove the Muslims out of Iberia and out of Europe. In our history we have one of the most impressive battles ever fought, the Battle of Aljubarrota, we won that battle and we were in a great numerical disadvantage (1 Portuguese for 5 Spanish).

To show the importance of Portugal you can look at the Portuguese language, it's one of the most important languages, ranked 6 th, with 200 million native speakers. Polish is talked by 52 million people.

Right? You use the argument about lack of knowledge of Poles about portuguese history as your moral ground, while in the same time you admit your own lack of knowledge about polish history. I think that's called hipocrisy or ignorance. History doesn't ends on Portugal.
    Knowing nothing about Portuguese history is being ignorant about World history, the Portuguese, Spanish and English Empires shaped our world. The place now ocuppied by the USA was occupied by those 3 empires in the past. Not knowing that and start to talk trash in a thread about Portugal isn't a smart thing to do.
    Last edited by Elrond; February 24, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

- OT comments removed - Please keep things civil - Elrond

To show the importance of Portugal you can look at the Portuguese language, it's one of the most important languages, ranked 6 th, with 200 million native speakers. Polish is talked by 52 million people.
    1.176 billion people speaks chinese... so what?
    Last edited by Elrond; February 24, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
    No Signature

1st Fact polish people say that poland was bigger than portugal thats not true

2nd Fact I dont say any thing about poland because i dont know more things about poland

3rd I dont understand whats your problem I just talked about a thing that is true Portugal was bigger than Poland, I dont remember to menshion something like: Portugal was more important than Poland

Edit: and after telling that all history is important you say this "I don't give a **** about Portugal and it's history", can I say now: I dont give a **** about Poland and it's history or is it "hipocrisy or ignorance"

but I do care about history of Poland i studied the advance of nazis in Poland and other things that included Poland, but in this time my friend Portugal had world impact
    Last edited by TheGodfather; February 24, 2009 at 03:31 PM.

1st Fact polish people say that poland was bigger than portugal thats not true
    I agree.

2nd Fact I dont say any thing about poland because i dont know more things about poland
    Fair.

3rd I dont understand whats your problem I just talked about a thing that is true Portugal was bigger than Poland, I dont remember to menshion something like: Portugal was more important than Poland
    I never said you haved. But like some other portuguese, you seemed to throw of the guilty of not being playable faction in ETW on Poland. It's really dissapointing and sad, because polish people never ever had something against portuguese people.

but I do care about history of Poland i studied the advance of nazis in Poland and other things that included Poland, but in this time my friend Portugal had world impact
    Where I have written that Portugal wasn't important? For god's sake.
    Last edited by Łukomski; February 24, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
    No Signature

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zedestroyer View Post
    What's the point in Knowing the history of some backwater country that did nothing important and that was always being raped by the Russians and the Germans?

Comparing Poland, with one of the most important and powerful empires of all time isn't very smart. We started the Age of Discovery. We established colonies in South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, we were one of the few European powers to be allowed to trade with Japan. And isn't only in the Age of Discovery that you can see our greatness, our ancestors resisted and leaded by one of the few man that was capable of confronting and defeating the Romans made their lives a living hell, only by betrayal the Romans managed to kill Viriato. Our first king defeated is mother to gain us independence and we and the Spanish drove the Muslims out of Iberia and out of Europe. In our history we have one of the most impressive battles ever fought, the Battle of Aljubarrota, we won that battle and we were in a great numerical disadvantage (1 Portuguese for 5 Spanish).

Knowing nothing about Portuguese history is being ignorant about World history, the Portuguese, Spanish and English Empires shaped our world. The place now ocuppied by the USA was occupied by those 3 empires in the past. Not knowing that and start to talk trash in a thread about Portugal isn't a smart thing to do.
    I agree that Portugal was stronger and more influentual than Poland during this era, but your arguments are very weak.

First off I would love to see Portugal build a colonial empire with a homeland situated in the baltic region instead of the western iberian peninsula (which is a very advantegous position).
    Secondly, I have no idea what a 14th century battle between Portugal and Castile has to do with that fact that Portugal isn't included in the game, if that's how you motivate why Portugal should be in-game then the majority of nations could say the same.

Also, I want to ask, when did Portugal have colonies in modern day USA?
    And at last, are you seriously saying that Portugal had a bigger impact on history than France or the italians?
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; February 24, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

^^Agreed

Civis

Nice that you showed us your intellectual and cultural level.

I don't give a **** about Portugal and it's history, but it doesn't gives you (or any other person) any right to offend others and theirs nationality, especially without any knowledge about their country.
    then why u post here?

Keep it calm guys, when your gonna say stuff like that don't even bother saying it.