Thread: Road to Jerusalem: Terra Sancta v0.93 UPDATED (30.11.07)

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Icon4 Road to Jerusalem: Terra Sancta v0.93 UPDATED (30.11.07)

Road to Jerusalem: Terra Sancta is a mod for the Crusader campain

game updated 2.10.07 New Download link: http://uploaded.to/file/yb84k6

Warning installaion will make your crusader campain only work with Terra Sancta Mod, vanilla files are overwritten
    backup your crusades folder

Installation:

C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\crusades (for english version)

Shortcut should be created by installation in the Total War folder. If your shortcut doesnt work put this in your crusader shortcut --io.file_first

If anything with download or installation isnt working let me know, ill fix it. Im also open for any kind of bug reports or suggestions.

[Updated 2.10.07]

Planed changes until now:

1) Recruitable generals :
    -> from baron's stables and above
    -> or using the teutonic recruitment system who proposes the random recruitment of generals instead of family members

The second option should be better cause you can chose your general's traits like this (you can refuse to recruit bad generals), and AI would have a lot of them since it usualy adopts many family members. However the number of generals recruitable like this must be limited by the number of regions you hold, I assume. So maybe the two options together would work fine ?

2) More hitpoints for generals and captains

Too many battles are won against the AI because it loses its general or captain too fast, in sieges especially. They need to be stronger. Give captains a morale bonus should be ideal too but I fear it's not possible.

3) All artillery needs to be fixed
    -> wooden artillery (ballista, catapult, trebuchet, mangonet) in castles only
    -> iron artillery (bombard, cannon, ribault and others gunpowder units) in cities only
    -> limit their pool to one piece only, with very long replenish time and high cost
    -> faster movement for artillery

Nothing really new. As soon as Ai runs out of money or is under pressure, it starts building artillery like hell. Because of the powerful attack and because other units are unavailable due to exhausted pools probably. Mostly annoying.

4) Units features
    -> increase morale and stamina
    -> increase size of units
    -> some units available only if enough percents of religion
    -> Separate Templar and Hospital units from normal barracks, create a own building for them, simular for elite units of other factions.

Stats are pretty good ingame. However, all units lack stamina and morale. I propose this :
    - all elite units (knights) and fanatics receive very good morale and stamina
    - generals, sergeants and others professionals (good archers, cavalery etc) troops receive good morale and stamina
    - artillery, militia units and peasants (including archers, crossbowmen) units receive normal morale and stamina
    - check for shields or armours value to be sure nothing is wrong

With this system, only knights would really fight like hell until the end. For stamina, we'll have to see depending of the unit, but it should not be very different from morale. I think generals must not have very high morale because with it, they would never flee and get always killed in any battles.

5) Limit to 3 the max number of children per marriage

I'd like to test this to avoid too big family trees. With this system, we could perhaps see better dynasties ? Anyway it's not the most important feature but let's keep it in mind.

6) Add units
    -> dismounted templars, hospitallers and others knights
    -> add Saracen Swordsmen, Saracen Spearmen, Tripoli Spearmen, Squire of Edessa Spearmen and Normal Crossbow unit
    -> make the unique units (constable of Jerusalem, Marshalls) linked to a general

You can see there (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120549) for dismounted orders knights.
    You can see here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118953) for generals in unique units.
    Your saracen mercs could be a nice addition for this mod. I'd like to see a macemen unit too (light infantry with mace and light mail). I saw one on another mod and it was a good merc unit. For the last proposal, this is not crucial, only interesting.

7) Some minor changes to the strat
    -> royal families and generals need fixes
    -> starting armies need to be improved

8) Stoned forts !

This is something everybody would love : build permanent stoned forts. But if it's hardcoded for construction, we could simply place some of them in the map via the strat like for Britannia and it'd be very good too.

9) Free upkeep slots
    -> add free slots for castles
    -> give more than 2 free slots to forts
    -> give free slots to ports

10) New faction(s)
    -> Split Turks in 2 and add armenia

11) Walls or castles
    -> delete all recruitment bonus given by walls or castles

What's the point of building stables in castles themselves provide cavalery ? Same for walls, why build militia drill square if walls allow to recruit militiamen ? Review all recruitment capability for military building should be the next step after that : the latest buildings should not give the highest units but give them experience bonus, as you did previously.

12) Make gunpowder progress slowly

I found pretty silly to build a cannon maker to have bombard and just after, 3 turns later, make the next building to have evolved cannons. These units should come far later !

13) Accents
    -> French accents for Jerusalem
    -> English accents for Antioch

If, of course, it does not alter the credibility of the game. I mean, only if captains or generals don't speak about fighting for france, england or something like this, you know. Not a very important feature though.

14) Slow down arrow/ballista/cannon towers rate of fire

Towers with arrows are not so bad but could be adjusted : slow rate of fire but better chance to kill. Ballista towers are overpowered in vanilla. They destroy siege equipment well, ok, but shoot too fast. Looks like MG-42. I assume cannon towers too. But I insist, it's not a mattter of making wall defenses useless, only to decrease their ROF. You could make gates stronger as you did before, as well, since boiling oil is in, could be funny.

15) Navals battles

As in RTJ, we need decivise naval battles. You win, all enemy ships sink. You lose, all your fleet sink. The whole retreat system is buggy (sometimes they flee far enough, sometimes they just flee from one step and get attacked again ... same problem for armies too, but quite rare) actually.

16) Useful new stuff
    Officers, flags and new animations for soldiers : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118688

Thanks too:

Rammstein
    Valor
    cymera

Much thanks too:

- Darth & Tiberiu_R for Darth Battle AI for Kingdoms 1.1
    - xeryx for XAI2.18
    - burrek for Andulusian spearmen
    - whitewolf for Byzantium Armor Progression V 0.7.rar
    - joedirt for new banners and new shields
    - ME2_junky for Dismounted Mamluks
    - Pawel The Crusader for Dismounted Knights
    Last edited by Rammstein; June 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Default Re: Road to Jerusalem: Terra Sancta

Some screens from Valor of the new units:

Last edited by Rammstein; September 28, 2007 at 04:13 PM.