Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Cvria Ivlia, Consulate of Lepidus/Ancus (senate records)

Kritias's Avatar Petite bourgeois

Default Re: YOU are the Senate, an interactive AAR! (discussion and rp thread)

Lucius Cornelius Sulla:

Senators, I believe that its not in our favor to let an other power rising in Italy. Having that in mind, I move that we declare war against Pyrrhus and drive him away from the peninsula -or even kill him if we are able- before he can establish a foothold in Italy.If we sent an army now the battle may be hard, depending the lack and skill of our Senior Consul, but if we win we gain a city and we will secure the southern borders.If we don't the Epirotes will gain men and resources to conduct a full-scale war in Italy. So I vote YAY.

Declaration of War with the Kingdom of Epirus and City of Tarentum:

Yay 6(?) - Nay 4
    Under the valued patronage of Abdülmecid I

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lucius Aurelius Lepidus stands:

This is not the decision I expected, but the vote has been decided. The only reason it lasted this long, by the way, was because there was a tie. So the decision stands

5 yay (its 5 Senator sulla) to 4 Nay

The Senate and People of Rome has officially declared war on the Kingdom of Epirus and the City of Tarentum.

If current voting trends hold, I will be senior Consul in 20 minutes, meaning I will be leading the assault on Phyruss. I encourage any senators to offer suggestions to me on a plan of attack.

Bona Fortuna, Senatores

Lucius Aurelius Lepidus

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Ave great senator,

Use the flexiblity of your legions to win.
    A phalanx is a Solid Group of men so try to flank every chance you get. And try to fight in rugged terrain to disrupt the cohessivness of his phalanxes.
    May mars be with you.
    Roma Victor!
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Ancus stands, shaking his head he speaks:

"Clearly the senate has chosen war over peace, hopefully we will not become a speck on the pages of history.

I believe it would be reckless of us to trust one legion with such a task, take the legion guarding the north.

Be weary of Pyrrhus and his elephants - they will not succumb to Roman steal easily.

Let us hope the carrion birds do not feast on the corpses of good Romans."
    Senator Decime, speaking of the Gauls;
    "...they shall be treated as scum. Scum that needs elimination."
    You Are The Senate an interactive AAR

Decius Loreius Ancus - Plebeian Senator and Censor.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lucius Aurelius Lepidus announces

The elections are over! I have been appointed Senior Consul, Ancus my Junior. That means I will officially be leading the assault on Tarentum. I will now take my leave of the Curia to make a full report on our military forces. Excuse me senators, we have little time to waste. Roma Victor.

The Consul turns and leaves the Curia, accompanied by his new lictors.

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus stands up and looks calmly at the honored men of Rome.

Friends! Romans! Today we have sent a message. A message to the world. A message to Pyrrhus! That we, the Romans, will take from him his lands, his honor, pride and, if he doesn't surrender to Roman Might, his army and command. Today we have chosen a path. A path of war! The right path! For war with Pyrrhus was indeed inevitable. We have made the right decision. There is no point in waiting for the slimy serpent of Greece to strike, when the noble Eagle of Rome soar the sky!
    There can be only one master of Latium.
    And by the grace of Mars, It will be us!

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius julius octavinus View Post
    Micaelis Horatius Malleolus stands up and looks calmly at the honored men of Rome.

Friends! Romans! Today we have sent a message. A message to the world. A message to Pyrrhus! That we, the Romans, will take from him his lands, his honor, pride and, if he doesn't surrender to Roman Might, his army and command. Today we have chosen a path. A path of war! The right path! For war with Pyrrhus was indeed inevitable. We have made the right decision. There is no point in waiting for the slimy serpent of Greece to strike, when the noble Eagle of Rome soar the sky!
    There can be only one master of Latium.
    And by the grace of Mars, It will be us!
    Ancus stands and claps loudly:
    This man possesses the determination to drive Rome forward! Men like these - Consuls like Lepidus!
    Brave Romans, back this man, back our Consul, cheer him, give him the funds he needs.
    Members of the Tribune, allow him to recruit your people, let him raise the taxes, let him fund the foundations of Rome - let each man contribute to wards this Campaign.

Ave Great Senators,

Yes Phyruss is to be defeated as soon as possible, But Lets not get ahead of ourselves and think we can take on the world at our current state.
    its going to take every roman man to take this tyrant down.

I agree with this war but not a war that is not provoked As soon as Phyruss is taken down the Italy firmly under the control of Rome we need economy and let the little roman boys grow up to be come powerful legionares so we can take out the next enemies of Rome!

And i aplaud Micaelis Horatius Malleolus for his rousing speech hopefully it will change the senators minds about this war. He has my full and utter support.

Roma Victor!
    -Aquila Decimus Cato.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla:

Senators, I am most pleased that our path to glory has started on the right foot!And how more fitting that our most revered men,Lucius Aurelius Lepidus and Decius Loreius Ancus are given Imperium to crush those treacherous Greeks!Consuls, we may not partake in your glory,we can only applaud!I salute you!May you lead our honored men to victory!

ps:wow,i didn't think for a minute that my vote would seal the outcome...!hope i got the right decision though for the Res Publica!!!!

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus gestures thankfully to Decius Loreius Ancus and Aquila Decimus Cato

Thank you, friends. This is indeed our first step towards greatness, but let us not forget the many fathers, mothers, wives, children, brothers and sisters that now say goodbye to their loved ones for the last time. Let us not forget that although we may be victorious, there will still be victims of war in Rome and elsewhere. I therefore lay forward my opinion to raise the taxes, not only to give Our Honorable Consul Lvcivs Avrelivs Lepidvs the financial means to conquer Pyrrhus, but also to compensate for what lives may be taken by Greek soldiers. When our brave soldiers march out, leaving home behind, it is because that in the door, wavering goodbye, stands an equally brave woman!
    Last edited by J.B.; September 28, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Ancus stands:

I am merely a Representative for the Senior Consul, but none the less, thank you.

So it is decided, we will have to consult the Tribune of Plebs -

hopefully they will see it fit to aid Rome in her victory!

wow,i didn't think for a minute that my vote would seal the outcome
    That is why every senator must vote, because every senator has influence!
    Last edited by sanada; September 28, 2007 at 03:42 PM.

Ave Great Senators,

I am not to sure about the taxes Micaelis Horatius Malleolus That would be robbing the people of their husbands and sons and money. It may result in a negitive look tword this war and we may lose favor with the people.

But money is needed for this war so maybe just a high tax would be more fit for this. Pyhruss shouldent be that much of a problem if we send two legions after him.

Roma Victor!
    -Aquila Decimus Cato

Lucius Cornelius Sulla stands up in anger:

And who noble Senators will produce the coins you want to tax? Men are preparing to march against Pyrrhus of Epirus and no one is left to work on the fields of the Plebeians than their wifes! Shall we impose now more taxes on those women,anxious for the fate of their husbands and sons? No senators! Its not the right thing to do! I strongly advice that we should feel content with what income our cities generate until the war is over and our soldiers can return to their jobs and fields.Then and only then,Senators,i believe that taxation will not cripple the Plebeians but will produce good outcome both for the State and the people of Rome!

He then sits again and awaits the reactions of his compatriots.

Ave Aquila Decimus Cato and Lucius Cornelius Sulla.

I can see what your concern is. But keep in mind that no family which has suffered in loved ones in this war, shall suffer in coins only gain. I however fail to see how we can loose favor with the people, for surely with the honorable consuls as head of our army and the strong soldiers casualties will be few, and therefore the amount of coins that will be taxed from the people of roman cities will be nothing more than what they have in the edge of their pocket. Those coins they will gladly give up as a token of deep respect to those, whom have fallen in the midst of battle. I myself will without the blink of an eye, donate several coins to widows of soldiers!
    And if casualties proves to be almost none! Then we will have an ample supply of coins to develop and rebuild Tarentum!

sanada's Avatar Decanus

Ancus stands:

A vote shall be held to decide whether the current Consul (Lepidus) can use his power to raise tax's and recruit new Legions if needs be.

Votes shall be closed in at 11pm GMT tonight.

All those in favour say Yay, all those against say Nay.

1 - 0

Yay!

Ave Great Senators,

Yes i see. I would greatly donate to the cause of the war and widows.
    Expecally the little roman boys ready to strike down the enemies of rome.

I vote Yay.

2 yay 0 nay

Micaelis Horatius Malleolus stands and puts out his fist

Yay!
    Nay 0
    Yay 3

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Senior Consul enters the Curia, in his Consular armor. He walks to the center of the chamber to address his audience.

Senators, I am back from my assessment of the situation, and it seems worse than I feared. Pyrhuss' army is larger than I believed, and we only have two legions in reach of his main force at Tarentum. Here is my report on our and their military forces.

This is Legio I, which defends us here in Rome.

Legio II, currently residing in Asculum.

Legio III, residing in Capua. This legion and Legio II are closest to Tarentum, and thus will make up the main assault force.

Legio IV is in Arretium. It, in my opinion, is too far away to engage Pyrrhus immediately, and thus may not be too useful in this war.

Legio V, also very far away in Arminium to be used effectively.

Legio VI Apuliana. This legion is close enough to mobilize against Pyrrhus.

I have also been able to gain information, through the use of spies, on the size and composition of Pyrrhuss' and the Tarentine armies.

The area around Tarentum

Pyrrhus' army, truly a mighty force. This will be a tough battle.

The garrison at Tarentum

This is an army of Calabrians in Tarantine territory. As of this time I know nothing of their intentions, but I would imagine Pyrrhus won't allow them to operate in his lands for long.

So there you have it senators. What should we do, I await your council. I will march tommorow (Saturday) so make your plans by then, or I will be fighting this war by myself. Roma Victor, and Gods be with us.

The Consul sits in the Curile Chair

Lucius Cornelius Sulla stands up:

Senators,I feel deeply that we should not raise the taxes in any case,but of an emergency condition.I believe that all these will not be seen well by the People of our Republic and remember that we are here to represent them. Because of the war prowess of our legions and our great Consul, i see no need to recruit more men than we already have in arms nor increase taxation simply because in maybe 1to 2 years we shall have in our hands the wealth of Tarentum and its riches will be more than enough! So i vote negatively on the tax increases.

Yay 3 - Nay 1

Ave Great Senators,

Phyruss forces are great.. this is true but not if u combine two legions to make one huge legion then his force is truly not of concern.
    Or You could Just wait for phyruss to attack the Free kingdoms army next to him and then strike when hes weak.

Both options have a chance for suecces but the second plan is more likly to suecced But may take longer.

Or with the new Vote that is going around you can make two legions bigger to attack him with those two. The vote is likly to pass.

Its your choice Consul.

Roma Victor!
    -Aquila Decimus Cato