Thread: 2 questions on descr_sounds_units_taunt&fire

Default 2 questions on descr_sounds_units_taunt&fire

In descr_sounds_units_fire there is a section refered to(in vanilla RTW) as :
    Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;   HORSE SPEARMEN    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    My question is: what type of units should be mentioned here? Since speamen class only means infantry afaik and judging from the units enumerated there I deduced that it means the javelin armed cavalry, but I`d like someone to confirm this or not. Plus, if it really means that should I also add chariots and elephants that have javelin armed crew?

In descr_sounds_units_taunt there is a section right at the end that starts with:
    Code:
    BANK: war_cry
    I thought that the units needing to be added here are those that have the warcry attribute in EDU, but in the vanilla file the first one mentioned is the numidian cavalry which has no warcry ability. So, were the no warcry units added there by mistake in vanilla and this is a warcry units list or is it for something else?

Thank you!
    Hopefully I`ll get an aswer too.
    Last edited by florin80; September 19, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: 2 questions on descr_sounds_units_taunt&fire

you've probably worked this out on trial and error by now but the
    ;;;;;;;;;; HORSE SPEARMEN ;;;;;;;
    bit isn't relevant it's just a comment - everything on that page is under

BANK: unit_missile_attack

which means it only will actually get used if the unit has a missile attack, put your new unit in any existing section you want it to sound like (unpacking the sound files so you can listen to them individually is the easiest way to sort that out)

if you want to use new or different sound to the ones already in the file make the unit a new section, starting with 'type' and following format of others.
    They all have stage ready, aim and fire you need to keep to that.

The other file works similar way the
    BANK: is the important bit. warcry sound will only get used if the unit actually has the warcry attribute - same for screeching_women and druid

but again you can split it up and have a new 'type' section to give a different warcry to the units you specify there.

eg I put the screeching women sound effect in as warcry for some female units, so they get that but not the animation (or lack of) effects.
    under, "BANK: war_cry", new section:
    type sucubus infantry,sucubus cavalry,severin sucubus
    event lod 5 minpitch .9 maxpitch .9 volume -10 mindist 7
    folder data/sounds/Voice/human/generic
    Woman_Screecher_Group_Taunt_Small_01
    end

event lod 10 minpitch .9 maxpitch .9 volume 0 mindist 8
    Woman_Screecher_Group_Taunt_Med_01
    end

event lod 30 minpitch .9 maxpitch .9 volume 0 mindist 10
    Woman_Screecher_Group_Taunt_Large_01
    end

Default Re: 2 questions on descr_sounds_units_taunt&fire

Yes! I did get an answer! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    ;;;;;;;;;; HORSE SPEARMEN ;;;;;;;
    bit isn't relevant it's just a comment
    Yes, I know it doesn`t count for the engine, but I used these remarks at first to guide myself in a file I haven`t previously opened. What I should have done(better) was to actually extract the sound files and listen to them based on their path in the file as you`ve suggested.

- everything on that page is under
    BANK: unit_missile_attack
    Right, thank you! Now, I hope I`ll not ask a (too) stupid question. But, the fact that in vanilla only slingers and javelin cavalry are refered to by unit name means that they get separated from the others and will use only the mentioned sounds while the rest of the missle armed troops will use either the ones for archers or the ones for infantry javelinmen based on the following:
    Code:
    weapon spear
    Which I guess it refers to this part from EDU they have:
    Code:
    stat_pri         7, 2, javelin, 50, 6, thrown, archery, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
    And the command:
    Code:
    unit infantry missile, skirmish
    Which refers to their class in EDU.
    ?
    And, if I understood corectly, I could also add units by type to all sound groups.
    The other file works similar way the
    BANK: is the important bit. warcry sound will only get used if the unit actually has the warcry attribute - same for screeching_women and druid
    Excellent. So adding there all the warcry units I had was not time wasted after all.

Thank you for your help! I think I understand how those files work now.