Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Das Heilige Römische Reich - Suggestions

Default Re: Das Heilige Römische Reich- Recomendations

Can't you make Spearmen with a sword/axe as a secondary weapon ?

I dont know, but i dont think any of the units in the vanilla have that. Except for pikeunits(?), javilinmen and cavalry. But if it can be done that would be the obvious thing to do. If its too much to create two types then just go for the spearmen, and raise their attack-stats.

I forgot the bishop cavalry. In the nothernen crusades the danish kings relied on their bishops to provide some military service. The vanilla have tried to show this with "the norse war clerics" -unit. But i believe its more correct to include some sort of crusader type cavelry, maybe tweaking the colors, if it can be done.

The hærræmæn lething could just be based on the armoured spearmen.

It is possible to have spearmen with sword/axe as secondary weapon. Even spear/bow or sword/bow is possible.
    However, most people will know that it is a bit problematic and tends not to work very well (just think of the pikemen - they are almost useless). If these problems could be solved we would get a very characterful unit indeed.

Thanks for the roster JesusLizard (fan of the band?)!

I'm not an expert when it comes to modding units (being mostly concerned with scripting) but I guess we will be able to create a fitting unit roster for Denmark.

Cheers,
    D.

Retired creator of 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' - Get v. 0.7 here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my homepage.
    --------------------------------------------
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

Yes - but the pikemen are almost useless because they have very low attack/defense stats, which are offset by the length of their weapon - which means that as soon as they use their swords they are a very bad melee infantery ( thats how I understand it though ). That would not be a great problem with spearmen though as their Attack/Defense rating is rather good anyways ( It ain't no big deal with the cavalry anyway ).

Well, yes, but the problem is not their low attack/defense stats, but the fact that they switch to their swords too soon. If they held formation while using their pikes they would be a superb unit. One of the popular pike-fixes around works by removing the sword - but that overpowers them.

Someone told me that the 'burgher pikemen' (sp?) from Kingdoms - a pike unit - seem to work. Unfortunatly I had no time to check that, but maybe they are the solution to the problem.

Visit my homepage.
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

Yes they switch too early - but the reason they get owned subsequently are their low stats - which they must have so as not to be overpowering when using their pikes.
    When cavalry uses swords instead of lances they loose some of their effectivity but they are still strong.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Well in other mods I have seen pikemen with their pikes out just killing anything I send over the wall via ladder, and I mean anything! In reality pikemen could not manoeuvre on castle walls with their pikes out, and on the filed, they could not turn as quickly as they do in this game - hence I think their movement/stats are too high, not too low. Basically Scotland and other factions are too strong just because they have pikemen from the get-go when there is nothing that can deal with them for a long time if you are against them!
    Last edited by uk_john; December 05, 2007 at 07:25 AM.

is the HRR mod fairly young? The mod really interests me but it appears there's still a bit of work to be done.

For one, I got into playing this mod thinking I could be a totally irresponsible ass for my empire, ala Prince Guy in the Kingdom of Heaven movie. However, it seems that wantonly attacking foreign kingdoms just affects their relationship with me, and not the HRE as a whole. It was just a bit of disappointment, since I was kinda expecting something like the foreign faction would be pissed at the HRE and thus would pressure the other duchys to silence/pacify/subjugate my fief or something. Maybe if the duchys hated that faction, they'd applaud and support my war effort. Same logic goes for the Papal standing, if one of your fiefs was wantonly massacring Christians here and there and getting bad rep from the pope while you're trying to maintain a healthy image for your empire, I reckon something has to be done about it.

I think this HRR mod's real selling power is the amount of politics it plays around with, and I want to see more of that politicking. Betrayals, Civil Wars, Rebellion, Trade Embargos to pressure stubborn fiefs, etc. Hopefully some kind of foreign-local influencing can be introduced, such as when the Emperor wants to rally the fiefs into destroying one particular faction, and all that jazz. (would probably work something like a crusade perhaps?)

Also, well I think you guys are doing this already, but more duchy diversity. Makes no sense playing one or the other if they're too similar.

I'm really enjoying this mod, so far. I hope it has a long, productive life ahead of it.

Campidoctor

Can you do that rallying the duchys thing mentioned in the post above. The HRE feels to seperated and not very united. In future version I would like to see a united HRE but also very independent. In Rome:Total War vanilla the roman factions could see the other roman factions on the campaign map. Is that possible for M2TW? I would also like to see a more active role for the emperor he seems to have little control over his empire. I know you said the transfer of cities from one faction to another was impossible, but DoTS:super mod seems to have found way. I would like to see an emperor's city from that is passed by emperor to emperor... hope this is all possible in some way.

is the HRR mod fairly young?
    Yeah, its pretty young. Also we released early so we are not near finished. In order for the real medieval Germany to be recreated in HRR we are planning on adding a number of features including counter kigns and Judaism which were both important factors in the HRE.

I would like to see an emperor's city from that is passed by emperor to emperor... hope this is all possible in some way.
    It might be possible but it wasnt historical. The real HRE operated a lot differently then the Roman factions in RTW.

Hey Dimitry are this good for Burgundy or should we keep the ones we already have? I need to know now since im now gonan do butgundy's Ui

Spear Militia

Town Militia

Knights
    Last edited by nicolaswille; December 05, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
    "Proud to be a nationalist"
    "Bound to see the elimation of the Illuminati from this world"

Campidoctor

Great Job...will there be new unit cards as well for the reskined units?...Just to make you feel like the HRE is more diverse.

...but DoTS:super mod seems to have found way.
    Well, they will have to prove that first. I've seen no release yet.

@Nicolaswille:

Nice job on the shields, but to be honest I think the combination of Sabre's skins & the vanilla shields (yellow & red) look better, because it makes the faction stand out.

@userfri3ndly:

As mentioned in other threads, I will try to add an 'Imperial foreign policy' feature. HRE factions will be forced to follow roughly the same foreign politics than the Emperor.
    The HRE factions relations with the pope will remain as they are because that's the way it was.
    But never expect that all HRE factions unite against one foe. The first time that happened was in 1870 when france attacked the germans (AFAIK).

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Visit my homepage.

Campidoctor

Can you make a crusade-ish function where at least some of the factions can join to serve the emperor

Sorry, no. That's simply not possible because the crusades are religion-based. There is no way of turning the crusades into something like an 'Imperial Army'. It's a pity.

Visit my homepage.

uk_john's Avatar Ordinarius

Wow - for a mod awhile off, this is getting a lot of attention!

Quote Originally Posted by uk_john View Post
    Wow - for a mod awhile off, this is getting a lot of attention!
    I think it helps that the team is very responsive.

Sorry, no. That's simply not possible because the crusades are religion-based. There is no way of turning the crusades into something like an 'Imperial Army'. It's a pity.
    That reminds of something I have been thinking about for this mod. Maybe in some time when we complete the grand campaign we can use a map for just western Europe and the Baltic. If we did that we could focus on the colonization of places like Prussia, Poland, Hungary, Transylvania, ect. with German people. Instead of religions there would be nationalities and we could rename crusades. Its just an idea I thought we could pursue if this mod gets perfected in the grand campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    That reminds of something I have been thinking about for this mod. Maybe in some time when we complete the grand campaign we can use a map for just western Europe and the Baltic. If we did that we could focus on the colonization of places like Prussia, Poland, Hungary, Transylvania, ect. with German people. Instead of religions there would be nationalities and we could rename crusades. Its just an idea I thought we could pursue if this mod gets perfected in the grand campaign.
    Lol good idea, tho that will take some time since we still have lots of things to do
    "Proud to be a nationalist"
    "Bound to see the elimation of the Illuminati from this world"

I checked out this mini mod today, it's quite good. Cosmetic effects, but I always hated the vanilla blockade and seige pictures.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1758