Page 6 of 88 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: The Darth Ages Feedback Thread

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The Darth Ages (Version 0.55 available)

I know.., but i'm trying to avoid unpacking med files again.. i think there is something wrong in that file cos the other option is that FS file is a @#~@

PeteSKTemplar's Avatar Ordinarius

Right now I am totally in the world of the "Witcher" but slowly my attention is going back or at least some time to take a brake from that RPG is to be your work, great dark work Naimad, (aint allowed to add again reputation fortunatelly), I thank than just by my words.
    Last edited by PeteSKTemplar; November 17, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
    NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS, SED NOMINI TUO DA GLORIAM!
    Those words were on lips of Templars when charging,
    M2TW DarthMod Team member - tester (Imperial Snowtrooper)

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Thanks mate.., nice to see you again

I've noticed horse archers seem to have very short range on their bows. I'm wondering, is this for game balance?

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariott View Post
    I've noticed horse archers seem to have very short range on their bows. I'm wondering, is this for game balance?
    What units? maybe i forgot to change their stats.. there are a lot of units to mod.. and i can't test all of them..

But as far as i can remember horse archers have shorter range (only a bit less) than foot equivalents and yes its for game balance as they have the movility

I was using Skythyron(no clue how to spell it. Byzantine first rank horse archer). If i get more comfortable with the file i may have a go at increasing bow ranges where applicable. Since recurve bows were at least as advanced as the english/welsh longbowmen. Mongol versions had a good 300-400m range, with 90m or so of direct fire.

*edit* and i imagine the cuman compound-recurve bow had at least good range.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariott View Post
    I was using Skythyron(no clue how to spell it. Byzantine first rank horse archer). If i get more comfortable with the file i may have a go at increasing bow ranges where applicable. Since recurve bows were at least as advanced as the english/welsh longbowmen. Mongol versions had a good 300-400m range, with 90m or so of direct fire.

*edit* and i imagine the cuman compound-recurve bow had at least good range.
    Oh.. i think you are right.. "basic" cavalry archers have 120, when peasants archers have 150.. i think i will rise it to 140..

but if you mean they aren't using a "common" bow and it is like longbowmen, could you give me some info about it?

They used composite recurved bows what meant it was very strong though not so long (couldnt be used on horse if they were longer). But when first Crusaders were under attack of Turkish missile cavalry their arrows did nothing to "human fortresses" (fully armored knights) as they found out, so either those cavalrymen hadnt such bows or arrowtips of later Mongol cav. archers.

But I have much worse issue for me, I cant play DarthAges for I got strange screens, or to be more precised - options. If I click on town I am unable to close that options. Or if I finish the battle I have no continue option (I cant find many icons to be able to click on them, so I cant play). For example in custom battles I can only repeat battle but I cant continue to exit the battle, even I cant exit the game when custom battle is finished.
    Aint sure whether it is bcs of my Czech version of M2TW (Kingdoms) or something else is wrong. If I knew how I woud post screens but hopefully my description is more-less understandable.

to pete: the mongols had several different arrow types. One of which heavier than normal, for close range armor piercing. But even still, a heavily armored knight is a hard thing to kill, no matter how good your bows are

to neimad: From what I understand at least, the type of bow you find through the steppe peoples of eastern europe/eurasia, were primarily recurve bows made from a binding of wood, bone/animal horn, and some old school glue material. The materials(someone more knowledgeable could probably give you exacts) once formed together tended to be much stronger for their size(so you dont need a 'long bow' to get tons of power), and the recurve design imparts more of the actual force of the draw weight on the arrow, so its more efficient.

Point being, the bows employed by the horse riding factions were highly advanced, and had superior range and penetration to most western bows. The longbow probably being the one shining exception.

I know Wiki cant be trusted as 100% fact, the the first few paragraphs of this one seem in line with everything i've heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurve_bow

And to give you an idea of the mongol bow here is a modern replica

http://www.bowshop.eu/csoportok/kep_t/1160237857.jpg
    Last edited by Iscariott; November 19, 2007 at 03:02 PM.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

well i have changed all mounted "low" bows to 140.. i don't want to have a 1st rank horse archer with a big advantage on range.., but 120 were to low, now they are in between crossbows 130 and "low" bows 150

if you want i could upload the file, but you will only need to open the EDU file and replace "MountedBow, 120" with "MountedBow, 140" without ""

Thanks naimad, i was able to figure it out with your advice. I've ajusted a great many bows ranges, following my own guidelines, in general mounted units maintain the ranges of their dismounted counterparts, increased longbow ranges slightly, better trained troops gain slight range a slight range bonus.

I'm going to playtest the numbers tonight, and possibly tomorrow. then i get them to a point i'm happy with I'll post back and maybe put the edu up for a look if thats ok.

Back with some more feedback. This campaign is tough as nails. The war I've been carrying on with the turks for the last 20 or so years has made expansion difficult, and kept us too poor to effectively build up our cities. It's highly possible i would have lost the campaign already, if not for one unit. My emperor has litterally killed 4 small cities worth of turks. I leave some battles with over 700 kills to his name, and few losses.

While I appreciate super elite cav crushing light infantry and spear militia units, I feel the spears should at least get a couple of kills...

Anyway, I'm fairly sure even all the kills he gets wont matter soon, I've been pushed of the persian subcontinent, and the entire might of islam is now heading my way, the turks called a jihad and I can already see a full stack of egyptians on their way.

Also I think there is a bug with diplomacy where if your first offer gets rejected the AI will not accept whatever your next proposal is. I remember this occuring in SS5, and being patched, I could ask around and see if anyone remembers what was causing it there if you like.
    ----------

And if anyones interested in longer range archery, I've got a first run of the EDU file if anyone else wants it.
    Last edited by Iscariott; November 20, 2007 at 03:13 AM.

I would like to know, guys, whether pasting DarthAges to mods folder is enough indeed?
    For something doesnt work for me, I cant play it as I stated above and it seems none of you have similar problem and I dont think all of you have just English version of Kingdoms.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Hey PeteSKTemplar: Where does it crash? or will it even load. What version are you playing with?
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Hi buddy!
    It doesnt crash, descriptions of units and towns are chaotic, some options missing like contiune battle, repeat battle is only option right now. When I click on the town I get strange scroll without many regular options - changing taxes, or to be able to auto-manage taxes etc. It seems to me like some files are either missing or corrupted.
    I just (after format) reinstalled M2TW and Kingdoms, so version is 1.3.
    I have just DarthAI for Kingdoms from TiberiuR right now - works fine.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

Go into you data\text folder and delete the non .txt files then reboot the game it will generate new files. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

They were probably included with the zip file, and if you have a non English version it will cause weird text.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    Go into you data\text folder and delete the non .txt files then reboot the game it will generate new files. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

They were probably included with the zip file, and if you have a non English version it will cause weird text.
    True..., that should be the problem.., sorry pete.. i was too busy to figure it out.., but i aslo had some troubles with that when i start moding and they were related to those files..

@Iscariot, what cavalry units are those that can not be beaten? and what are the spearmen that are they fighting.. i know there are some "useless" spear units they must be used with great numbers, but they can beat common cavalry.., maybe i missed some stats.. i know East factions have not been tested as western ones..
    Last edited by Thorn; November 20, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

Generals bodyguard mainly(byzantine faction). It's the only heavy cav that I've got. Specifically the emperors unit is just brutal. The year is 1100, so the units the Selujk turks are recruiting town/spear militia and azabs, + anatolian short spear mercs(which i assume are useless)

I'm kinda on the fence if this is a problem actually. I ran several tests last night using proper cav killers(HRE 2hander swordsmen in heavy plate, armored sargents, and heavy billmen uparmored). What I found, fighting a single unit of chivalric knights, was that the close combat balance is very good. The problem is really just the charge.

Heavy billmen for instance are wiped out by a good charge. They cause between 5-25 casualties depending on luck and if more than normal survive the initial charge.

Looking at the EDU it seems bodyguards have 2hp. I think this is the root of the problem. Because the more I play against regular heavy cav the less I see a problem. My current suggestion would be 1hp bodyguards, and possibly thoughen up some units when it comes to withstanding a charge slightly(in general cav fighting troops use 2h weapons, and the lack of defense gets them slaughtered by the charge. decimated is cool. Slaughtered seems a little much)

I will say though, running the 1v1 tests last night made me appreciate the balance work thats already gone into things.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

When i did the EDU i realized that mass values from TLR where too bad for Darth's battle AI.. so i changed them and did some test, but it seems they weren't enough.. (i mainly tried non general units)

Now i'm busy making a new FS file.. and i dont like switching from 1 mod task to another cos i could leave things behind.. I'm not sure i could fix that before weekend.. i have tweaked spear bonus vs cavalry, but if you say the problem is during charges i need to make a good test before knowing what is causing that..

if you could keep testing a bit it could be great.. try to find a unit that can hold a charge (or at least the best one holding a charge) so i will take it as base for testing..

I'm afraid lowering hit points could create side effects like "suicidal" generals..

About unit production we could fix it with the offset values.., but it aslo depends on faction development..

next time i will try a Turk campaign to see their unit rooster
    Last edited by Thorn; November 20, 2007 at 01:58 PM.

Thank both of you, guys!!!
    I am sorry I remember too late that, it was writen some time ago but it wasnt my case that time I didnt paid attention to that. I am about to do according to your advice, I am sure now it will be fine. Thanks again!
    More waiting made me more enthusiastic (I dindt play almost anythink while waiting for the clue) for DarthAges.

Edit: After deleting of all non .txt. files text were fine but those "options" are still gone. For example when battle was finished white rectangular appeared without any info (victory, stats of casualties and kills) so I couldnt exit battle after victory. (I closed the game by ctrl+alt+del command). So it seems something else is buggy. I shall check whether new files were generated yet.
    Edit II.: There are no other files in data/text folder but .txt. files, so those deleted werent regenerated.
    Last edited by PeteSKTemplar; November 20, 2007 at 02:36 PM.