Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: The Darth Ages Feedback Thread

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: The Darth Ages (Version 0.55 available)

I will try to fix javelin issues when i start modding the Battle AI..

I have increased their range, but it isn't enough.. right now they are better as a 1st rank to stop enemy charges or at 2nd rank to fire over friendly units.

Cavalry are harder to hit because they have more space between them.. but shouldnt be a great diference.., have you tried them against crossbows or firearms?

Crossbows seem to work fine, firearms do not. The hit rate is way down(expecially for bows), even when in formation, arrows just sail between the horses. Did you ajust the "size" of horses at all?

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

If i'm not wrong i'm using vanilla values or almost vanilla values..

have you tried horsearchers vs another archer unit besides those that use lowBow?

i tested them vs retinue longbows and they forced the cavalry unit to charge..

and then vs spanish musketeers and they won with almost same casualties.. Musketeers were killing at good speed until 60 horses remained.. then i had to advance to improve accuracy.. (firearms had a very bad accuracy)

if you fire them by side they die really fast.. and you have 0.75 more chances to hit a horse than a man.. low archers have a very bad accuracy at max range

the key is the flat trajectory of the arrows..

I just retried things myself, and you're right things are working fine. I'd tried with turkish archers, which dont use lowbow. However turkish archers in my edu have exceptional range, and this was hampering my test. Tried again with several different 'quality' archers, and with differing experience levels.

Since javs and cav acuracy were the last two issues I was gonna look into tonight, version 2 of my edu is up for download.

Changes are minor, mainly just did a little more making sure the arrows could get out to max range, and ajusted a few units that werent following the stat progression I'd set up.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1735

I've gathered from the work done on realcombat that you can add projectile types as you see fit. At some point down the line I may see what I can do to expand on differences between peoples. Like bodkin arrows for the english kinda thing. It may not really be needed as differences would be minor, and I've already incorporated some of that thinking into the file.
    Last edited by Iscariott; November 26, 2007 at 04:46 PM.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Nice.. i will look at it tomorrow.. now i need to rest

have you tested the new FS file?

is it working fine? if so i only have to add the specific factions rules to finish it..

Quote Originally Posted by Naimad View Post
    Nice.. i will look at it tomorrow.. now i need to rest

have you tested the new FS file?

is it working fine? if so i only have to add the specific factions rules to finish it..
    Which one? I downloaded one a day or two ago, and its got some problems.

I see update file, downloading now. Is the edu included just the "no cav supercharge" one? or new balance changes.
    Last edited by Iscariott; November 26, 2007 at 04:56 PM.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

I will test, it will be with SS 5.1. (yes, I added the factions)
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

MiiKLL's Avatar Semisalis

Hello Iscariott, I see that you are doing some work on the projectile.txt file. A suggestion I have is to give all projectiles at least some radius, such as "0.05" or "0.1" . I found that it seems to help with the problem of shooting thru cavalry and doing little to no damage. You may have already been doing this, if so sorry for being redundant.

Here is a example from my own modded DarthAges Projectile.txt:

projectile CrossBow

effect crossbow_arrows_new_set
    end_effect bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect bullet_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect bullet_impact_wall_set

;effect_offset 0.9
    damage 0
    radius 0.1
    mass 0.07
    accuracy_vs_units 0.035
    affected_by_rain
    min_angle -60
    max_angle 50
    velocity 70 70
    display aimed
    effect_only

"Nothing is more destructive than the charge of artillery on a crowd."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Wow! How did I miss this thread?

Naimad, thanks for your great work. And to Xeryx and the rest of the Darth guys, and of course to the man himself, Darth.

I was beginning to think that The Long Road was going to die with Tornnight gone. Such a wonderful map to conquer! And here I find that it not only lives but is being improved with that particular goodness that comes with all things Darth!

I have now purchased Kingdoms and it should be here in a couple of days. I'll be happy to help test things.

You'll definitely need to rework the resources. What we intended at first back in earlier versions of TLR in February, to be as historically correct as possible with the few allowed resources, just didn't work out. With the current resource placement in TLR, no merchant can earn the Capitalist/Market Controller/Monopolist trait line, since no province has more than one of any particular resource.

I made major adjustments to the resource placement and base values. The changes I made to the descr_strat.txt and descr_sm_resources.txt files are here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...9&postcount=25 and might help you out some. The changes add a double resource plus grain to every faction capital, plus several doubled resources in various rebel provinces, and reduces gold to just three out-of-the-way locations. Feel free to use and abuse the changes for what you're doing here, if you'd like. No credit due to me, since I was the idiot who fouled up the TLR resources in the firstplace.

I didn't use coal at all. My intent was to change coal to some new resource, as well as change sulfur to salt and cotton to leather. And then to also change chocolate, tobacco, elephants, dogs and camels to new graphics and descriptions so that new resources would be available for future new factions in TLR, like Lithuania and the Cuman/Qipchaks. That would allow a resource like horses, for example, for the steppes tribes, or cattle for Spain or glass, wax and honey which were major traded goods in the period.

I can't wait to see Darth Ages in action!

Welcome Averroes !!!
    Good to see you popped in!! Niamad, would definitely like some input!!

I have to say, you will be shocked at the changes!! More importantly the game-play!! We all make mistakes, so no need to beat yourself up about it. You should go ahead and download then patch and play!! Then come back and post!! Something I look forward to seeing!!
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by MiiKLL View Post
    Hello Iscariott, I see that you are doing some work on the projectile.txt file. A suggestion I have is to give all projectiles at least some radius, such as "0.05" or "0.1" . I found that it seems to help with the problem of shooting thru cavalry and doing little to no damage. You may have already been doing this, if so sorry for being redundant.

Here is a example from my own modded DarthAges Projectile.txt:

projectile CrossBow

effect crossbow_arrows_new_set
    end_effect bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_package_effect bullet_impact_wall_set
    end_shatter_effect bullet_impact_ground_set
    end_shatter_man_effect man_impact_tiny_set
    end_shatter_package_effect bullet_impact_wall_set

;effect_offset 0.9
    damage 0
    radius 0.1
    mass 0.07
    accuracy_vs_units 0.035
    affected_by_rain
    min_angle -60
    max_angle 50
    velocity 70 70
    display aimed
    effect_only
    I'll take a look, but I'm hessitant because as I have things right now unarmored troops already get murdered by massed quality archers. And I found out just today that Mamluks(and presumably other elite HA's) make great anti-cav snipers.

Basically i fear making archery any better than I have.

Oh and Naimad the FS file in the update doesnt have the crazy relations changes that I was experiencing.

guys you are more than welcome to use any TLR gfx, or from the TRLaced add-on, I would also be great for other users to maybe post some link or create a new thread under TLR, that way other players will find it easier to play this!!!

what do you think???

Saludos
    y
    Respeto
    -:-
    Greetings
    &
    Respect

Dominion of the Sword / The Long Road GFX designer / Zuma Team member.
    TLRaced GFX add on for TLR2.0
    www.andresgogo.com

That's actually a pretty good Idea!! acegogo, You guys did a really good job with the mod and the Map BTW!! I hardly ever get units stuck.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

@Iscariott The EDU file is a tweaked version without the uber cavalry charges, plus some tweaks on the stats of a few units..

About the FS file there were 2 "little" mistakes that makes the pope reacts to any war like it was called upon them and so the other factions will react to that "un-declared" war. I still need some reports about standings rising/falling to fast.

@MiiKLL Rising the Projectile Radius is a bad idea.., trust me.., i moded the file to work with that stats.. any change will affect all missile units vs all kind of targets..

I moded Arrows to be almost useless at low level (peasant archers and any 1st level unit). They are good vs mass of troops but you wont be able to win a battle with them..

2nd level archers have nice accuracy and must be the standard missile unit of an army and then elite archers are really dangerous and no army could stand vs them for too long.

Maybe people would like to have more kills per voilley, but i think that archers kill a good number of enemies, just they dont do it too fast

Try to fire over a unit by the back or side and you will notice that the casualties are much better..

@Averroës thanks, i had to add some resources when i started the mod.. some of the resources on iberia were removed.. (now i know why )
    i will look at your file... i have doubled the number of merchants and maybe there will not be enough resources for all
    But.., unless someone can test and work over it i will let it for the last task.. i'm most worried about Campaign and battle AI and unit/economy balance..

@acegogo Nice to see you here.., i posted in TLR forum a few month ago.., but my post happened unnoticed.. i used to go there from time to time to know how were going the mod, but the work on the XAI took too much time..

I'm not too good with graphics and animations. I could try to add new units and skins, but as i said before i have some priorities..

Oh.. i know i gave no credit to anyone (even myself) but they will be on version 1.0 i'm only waiting to have something solid enough to deserves to be called version 1.0.

I think the most people try the mod and post his ideas the better and faster the mod will grow.. so feel free to create a thread into TLR forum.

Again thanks to all of you for your support and good words, i hope you will enjoy playing the mod the same i'm enjoying making it.
    Last edited by Thorn; November 27, 2007 at 11:08 AM.

My copy of Kingdoms should arrive tomorrow or the next day, so I'll be ready to go then.

I added a lot more resources, Naimad. My final count was 265 resource locations, and that was with only 3 gold spots and without using coal, tobacco and chocolate or the three unused slots for elephants, camels and dogs. Changing those to more appropriate Medieval era resources will give 6 more resources for the map and could easily shoot the total up above 400.

In my experience, the AI tends to build merchants like locusts at first but slowly tapers off as the rebel provinces are taken and things become more warlike. The AI then chooses to spend its money on armies and stops building merchants altogether.

I'll be more than happy to help test resources. My resources thread in the TLR forum has a lot of info on merchants and how the game seems to work them, after lots of experimenting on my part. I'm slowly figuring out what the hardcoded issues are for merchants, like the hidden hardcoded effects on resources values. That and historical research are my only real areas of knowledge to contribute.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

There are some more tweaks for kingdoms.. AI dont use their merchants as agressive as before.. (they spend all time chasing other merchants)

I have been looking at your file.. i like the ammount of resources.. but maybe 3 gold spots are tow few.. Toledo's gold mines were famous those days..and aslo a few that were removed.. i have 10 gold spots.. maybe we could let them at 6.. i aslo want to see more iron/timber.. and why let coal out?

about trade values i will let them as i have (between Darth and TLR values)

oh..aren't elephants needed to train elephant units?
    Last edited by Thorn; November 27, 2007 at 02:06 PM.

I cannot find the darth ages download.When i click on the link it takes me to file front but it's not there.Everything else is there but not any Medieval files at all.

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

AGAIN... i think i will upload the mod into another place..

Tomorrow i will upload version 0.6 at filefront, but i will try to find a better place for the next one

I have opened a DARTH AGES THREAD in The Long Road area, you are more than welcome to post there and let me know if you need any 2d gfx stuff

Saludos
    y
    Respeto
    -:-
    Greetings
    &
    Respect

Dominion of the Sword / The Long Road GFX designer / Zuma Team member.
    TLRaced GFX add on for TLR2.0
    www.andresgogo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naimad View Post
    AGAIN... i think i will upload the mod into another place..

Tomorrow i will upload version 0.6 at filefront, but i will try to find a better place for the next one
    Will 6.0 be a complete mod or would i have to down load additional fixes from previous versions?