Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRE-headed by Prussia?

Condottiere SOG's Avatar Domesticus

Default HRE-headed by Prussia?

I am not at all pleased to hear that;

The German Empire, led by Prussia, a 17th century amalgam of Germany and Poland, has a tough start: it was almost bankrupt after the devastating 30 Years' War. To add to its problems, its empire was fragmented and overstretched. And the bubonic plague killed a third of its civilians in 1708. Nevertheless, it managed to field significant armies and allied with Britain during the Seven Years' War against France and the rest of Europe.

Certainly the Hohenzollerns(Prussia) had great clout within the Holy Roman Empire, but the shot-callers were the Habsburgs of Vienna(Austro-Hungarian Empire, empire in its own right!). Whilst the Hohenzollerns headed the House of Brandenburg-Prussia, the Habsburgs held sway over most of the rest of the Holy Roman Empire, as most smaller states were still Catholic. Prussia was a Protestant state. The other states to hold seat in the majority were Bavaria, Hesse-Cassel, Hesse-Darmstadt, Wurttemburg, Westphalia and Silesia.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: HRE-headed by Prussia?

Source?
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I voiced my deep reservations about this info several weeks ago over at the official site and a CA rep clarified that Prussia would be a distinct faction and there would be other minor factions in Germany as well. So Prussia will not be lumped together with Hanover, Saxony, Bavaria, and other scattered minor German states. I think your info came from a game magazine preview and I have seen several contradictory "fact" tossed about, so don't panic yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man With No Name View Post
    Source?

'Age of Reason Begins' Will and Ariel Durant
    -A History of European Civilization in the Period Of Shakespeare, Bacon Montaigne, Rembrandt Galileo and Descartes: 1558 to 1648- printed 1961

'The Age of Voltaire' Will and Ariel Durant
    -A History of Civilization in Western Europe from 1715 to 1756 with special emphasis on the Conflict between Religion and Philosophy- printed 1965

after 1763 Prussia begins a period of decline until 1866 to 1921

The Seven Year's War was nothing more than a war of survival for Prussia. Were it not for William II of England and his subsidies and military support, Frederick the Great would have lost the war. William III(who hated Frederick and thought him a leacherous cousin) brought an end to this when he ascended the throne, but, by then, Frederick had revamped his country. Nearly everyone knows that the Prussian army of the war was the biggest lot of adventurers, foreigners and mercenaries in the Enlightenment Era as Prussia had a population of 4.2 mil personnel and could never field more than 110000 men. Hence the first real need(in an early modern sense) for strict military discipline and formal military regulations.

source; 'The Army of Frederick the Great', Second Edition; by Christopher Duffy; Emperor's Press, 1996
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; September 12, 2007 at 07:39 PM.

No I meant the source for the annoucement that Prussia will head up the HRE.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

No I meant the source for the annoucement that Prussia will head up the HRE.
    that is a clip form the article posted by PCGamer. it is also used by other PC game sites.

They may not mean the HRE, but rather the Prussian Empire.

They may not mean the HRE, but rather the Prussian Empire.
    Prussian Empire, not until 1866. Prussia really had no colonies until much later.

No there was a Prussian Empire (though they may have called it the Prussian Kingdom, it was still an Empire) before that...

There wasn't a German Empire till later, I just think CA used the term so people know what Prussia was.

No there was a Prussian Empire (though they may have called it the Prussian Kingdom, it was still an Empire) before that...

There wasn't a German Empire till later, I just think CA used the term so people know what Prussia was.
    NEIN!

House of Hohenzollern
    Elector of Brandenburg
    King and Queen of Prussia-queen with household power and little more.

I voiced my deep reservations about this info several weeks ago over at the official site and a CA rep clarified that Prussia would be a distinct faction and there would be other minor factions in Germany as well. So Prussia will not be lumped together with Hanover, Saxony, Bavaria, and other scattered minor German states. I think your info came from a game magazine preview and I have seen several contradictory "fact" tossed about, so don't panic yet.

Thank you, Sol
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; September 12, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Kingdom of Prussia was an empire that steadily over time took control over parts of Poland and Austria.

At this time Britain was not officially an empire, but you can say they had an empire.

that is a clip form the article posted by PCGamer.
    Pc gamer doesnt have the most intelligent staff. The review of medieval 2 said that medieval two was too historical! Only an idiot would say that. Since when was portugal ruling navarre? I nolonger trust pcgamer as much as i used to.

Kingdom of Prussia was an empire that steadily over time took control over parts of Poland and Austria.

At this time Britain was not officially an empire, but you can say they had an empire.
    a kingdom until 1866. it took most lands from Austria then. From Poland, Poland was bereft of formal unity at the end of the Great Northern War between Russia and Sweden. Austria, Prussia and Russia steadily hacked away at her until 1778 when she finally disappeared as a state altogether. Only Austria and Russia were empires at the time. Its history, pal, and I don't argue with it. You believe what you want.

The only thing that Frederick got from Maria Theresa was Silesia. Upper and Lower. Nothing more. Not even Bohemia. His son was too peevish and living of his father's laurels to continue the job, nor his son. Not until Bismarck, the establisher of the Prussian Empire under the Hohenzollern legacy. Again, I choose not to argue with fact.

Read 'Vom Krieg'-Karl von Clausewitz..................................now back to gaming. A bientot.

Pc gamer doesnt have the most intelligent staff. The review of medieval 2 said that medieval two was too historical! Only an idiot would say that. Since when was portugal ruling navarre? I nolonger trust pcgamer as much as i used to.
    Oops! I never trust magazines. This was put out by an interviewer for all of them. Enjoy your beef, sir(des autres personnes/journalistes).
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Condottiere SOG; September 12, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Really and truly, the Habsburgs (Austria and various other lands) were the major German Power of the time. It was only clear that Prussia held the upper hand in 1866.

Quote Originally Posted by schoenkoenig View Post
    Really and truly, the Habsburgs (Austria and various other lands) were the major German Power of the time. It was only clear that Prussia held the upper hand in 1866.
    Have I not said this?

Don't worry, we know history and we pay attention to it.

Otherside's Avatar Ordinarius

i hope not prussia was made during this time period it was nothing before then

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Ahh, the sage and soothing words of Thamis.

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Nitpicking as always

William II of England and his subsidies and military support
    William III(who hated Frederick and thought him a leacherous cousin)
    Replace William with George

a kingdom until 1866.
    A kingdom until the end of monarchy. The king of Prussia was also the German emperor since 1871.

HRE was headed by the habsburgs of austria during this time period, so it should be that way in the game as well

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast