Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [XGM AAR] Greek AAR : A Spartan's Conquest

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default [XGM AAR] Greek AAR : A Spartan's Conquest

GAME : ROME TOTAL WAR - XGM ( EXTENDED GREEK MOD )
    MY EMPIRE

background story : I started out with the mighty Greeks. My strategy at start was to wipe out Macedonia, become allied with Thrace and make a naval invasion to Rome and conquer Italy.

I was already a few turns ahead before I started to make this AAR. To get you an idea of what I've conquered, here is a screenshot of the
    map and the cities you start out with:

And now here's a screenshot from the map...and the provinces I conquered so far :

and here's a close-up screenshot of my Greek Kingdom at the map:

MY CAMPAIGN : When I started out with the game, I took almost every land of Macedonia. Except their island Kydonia which was their only city left. Then they asked for a Ceasefire treaty which I accepted. It was convenient since I wanted to re-build my armies and start the invasion on Rome. And with Macedonia only left on an island, i thought it would be wiser by crushing them later and let them be.

So my new borderlands lie against the lands of Thrace. Becoming allies with Thrace didnt work out. They rejected me every time. Then they started to attack me. So my plan to invade Rome had to wait. A big war broke out between me and the Thracians with big losses on their side. In between, backstabbing Macedonian forces attacked my island Rhodes on the south ( it's weird, Naval_invasion by AI is turned off in my game but they could still land troops on my island ). I immediatly send out reinforcements to crush their army. To get revenge, I sailed out with that same army to conquer their last remaining capital city. Macedonia was gone, defeated, annihilated.

The war with Thrace still lasted for lots of turns. The city of Pella was attacked most of the time. They sended full-stacked armies ( mostly light infantry units ). But I had the finest Greek army in Pella. They couldnt beat me....I made lots of Heroic victories there....lol....too bad there aint no battlemarks on the map of it because I was fighting from without my city. In meanwhile, I assembled 2 other armies at the southern Greek Cities. I was able to conquer Byzantium and Seutopolis. Thrace was broken, their armies constantly defeated and they were losing their primary big cities. Thrace began to fall. I marched on to their other cities.

Screenshot #1 of conquered Thracian lands :

After I took SEUTOPOLIS and BYZANTIUM I took the cities BURIDAVA and TOMI which now act as my new bordercities. The Faction Scythhia lies just above....but they are my allies. As you can see, I built two watchtowers there just in case they try to pull something crazy. Thay way, I can see them coming from far.

Screenshot #2 : More conquered Thracian lands

At the moment I'm attacking the city SINGIDINUM. Probably their last big city since the rest of their lands has only little towns. No development at all. Probably because they spended all of their money in their weak but yet full-stacked armies. Fools...

SALONE is mine, but its my weakest point. I am building food and other buildings which helps to get more population as quick as possible. City is also on low-tax. I have quite a great army as garrison. But they are unable to re-train. I usually swap them out for new forces so they can retrain at my bigger cities. But SALONA is constantly under attack of ROMAN FORCES. I'm not talking about simple canonfodder units....no, they sended Legionaries.That kinda pissed me off. So I was assembling two new armies at my older Greek cities. This time, I had the time to prepare for a naval invasion. Thrace is nearly out of the picture and Scytthia is my ally. So my new army under command of 2 spartan elite units were about to attack the southern part of Italy. Main grounds of Rome.

I already sent 3 spies to check their cities and defence. What a surprise, all their southern cities only garrisoned 1 or 2 units. I checked diplomacy, and it said that ROME was in war with GAUL. They must have send all their big armies to the north to fight GAUL and my poor city of SALONA. ROME wanted to take over Europe and beyond.

Screenshot of the invasion :

The first army landed next to Croton.
    My second army landed next to Cannea.
    A third army with some units of Deurophys ( or whatever ya spell it....its those cheap City Militia dudes ....perfect to maintain in cities and cheap costs ) shipped near Tarentum.

My first army took Croton and Tarentum within a blink of an eye. Two cities were secure. Some units of Deurophys placed themselves in the city to keep it secure and keep law 'n order on good level.

My second army conquered Capua and ROMA. In 2 turns, I conquered 4 big important cities of ROME.

They suffered a lot, I could tell by the Faction Ranking charts :
    YELLOW = GREEKS
    BLUE = THRACE
    RED = ROME

Overal Ranking

Military Ranking:

Territorial Ranking:

So far so good. As you can see on the screenshots of the battlemap....Rome is sending back their forces from middle-europe to take back their homelands. Not without hard 'n crushing battles :wink:.

Conclusion : My starting goal to get peace and be an ally with Thrace failed. But looking back, I think this is much better. I have good bordercities and Thrace is about to fall. I feel pretty secure on their lands now. My only problem are the ROMANS. But I already expected that. And I prepared for that aswell. The naval invasion worked out greatly....even better I hoped for.

I will soon post more
    Last edited by rogergargantua; September 12, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: GREEK AAR : A Spartan's Conquest

CLASH OF THE TITANS #1: BATTLE FOR ROMA

The last map screenshot I made above shows italy, I will post the same screenshot below so you can observe the situation

If you look closely at ARIMINUM, you'll see a 6-star Roman General. A member of this forum: Balikedes was curious how the battle would turn out if he would engage me.

Situation : As you can see, my city ROMA was already under attack by a Roman army. I easily defeated them. They had like 500 men...and I had around 1000 men. They scattered across the battlemap after I used all my missile units upon them. Easy victory.

After this turn, the 6-star Roman General Servius Vettius attacked me. I already spied his army....his army was full of powerful legionaries. Some Hastati units and 1 Armoured General Cavalry ( 40 horses, Servius must be the heir or something ) and 1 legionary cavalry. He also had 3 units of onagers with him.

The "Clash of the Titan" battle begins

I had approx. 100 men more then him. My army was 50% heavy infantry and 50 % missile units. One exception: All my rare Spartan units were garrisoned at Rome.
    His army was like 75% heavy infantry and 25% light infantry.
    So this would be a quite challenging battle.

My army consisted of :

My battle tactic was to use the missile cavalry at first. I wanted to kill his 3 units of Onagers first ( see screenshot below, on right side of screen are the engaging missile cavalry). I experienced those before in battle and they immediatly aimed at my precious Spartans. Not cool !!

So I quickly rode out to kill those damned Onagers. With succes! I killed two units out of the three. The last unit escaped and got behind safe lines. Then I used my missile cavalry to flank their army. Throwing spears at the Legionary Cavalry was quite usefull. The Legionary unit which started with 40 men was now nearly exterminated. It costed the Missile cavalry all of the spears they carried. I called them back.

My army was all setup. Archers behind the fearsome Hypasists. The flanks were secured on both sides. On the right side were the hoplites. And the left side was even more secured: The Spartans.
    The Archers started firing. Meanwhile, the Roman Onagers started fire on my Spartans. Just like I predicted :hmmm:. I quickly send out the Missile Cavalry beyond Enemy Lines.

The Onagers were well protected by Heavy Cavalry. They only chance was to create a diversion and backstab the Onagers.
    I send out three units of missile cavalry to charge the heavy cavalry.

3 units of brave Missile Cavalry attacking the more powerful heavy Legionary Cavalry.

One unit of missile cavalry was left to accomplish this one important task. Beyond enemy lines, surrounded by Legionaries, Hastati's and other lethal units. They had to kill the last remaining Onager in order to save the Spartans from an easy death.The Missile Cavalry succeeded by killing all the Onager Crew.

I quickly called all units back.....unfortunately, the Missile Cavalry unit which killed the Onager crew was caught between the heavy cavalry and legionaries. They were all nearly killed. They fleed to the borders.....it was okay, they did their job.

The rest of the units returned safely. I put them behind the Spartans.
    In the meanwhile, the archers were still firing.

But now it was time to put pressure on the Roman forces. I slowly marched forwards with all my infantry units. The Hypasists at front, the hoplites following on the right. The spartans followed closely, acting as a reinforcement unit in case if things really would go wrong.

The Hypasists started throwing their javelins. The Legionaries rushed into the spears. A big battle followed. I had to call in Spartans to aid the Hypasists at their flanks

It turned out that the Roman Army was slowly losing. Some of their units already fled to the border.

And with Spartan help....the Roman Army along with Servius Vettius was fleeing

Will somebody clean up the mess?

So that was the end of Servius Vettius career as 6-star General. I believed he survived the battle. But "death" is chasing him.....and they will soon meet.

I will post more if I conquer stuff or fight huge battles.

After a few turns I caught up with Servius Vettius again. He gathered himself a new army. I found out that he is in fact the leader of Rome. That explains his 41 men counting Cavalry unit.

So he was back for revenge, he wanted city ROMA back, his hope, his land, his people. But he didn't know that the same Greek army he fought before was chasing him.....hunting him.

After a big battle ( sorry I didn't make screens, I didnt realise Servius Vettius was in this army....i didnt check the armies generals before battle ) I finally won and killed the Roman King Servius Vettius in battle.

All I saw was that my unit of Hypasists caught him in the forest and stabbed him off his horse.

As you can see from this picture, the Roman armies are beginning to get weaker. Less in numbers and cheaper troops ( I encountered more Hastati's, less legionaries).

I'm not quite surprised. Take a look at this then.
    This was when I just started the invasion:

And after approx. 10 a 13 turns I conquered this:

The Roman Empire is on extinction. What will happen next? See it on the next episode of Dragon bal...uhh.....I mean, I will write soon again if I made awesome victories or something special happened.
    Last edited by rogergargantua; September 12, 2007 at 03:49 PM.

What mod is this?

whoops.....forgot to mention. Its the XGM ( Extented Greek Mod ).

Mainly based up Greece, like the Romans in Vanilly RTW. It's an awesome mod......especially for the Spartans who can form an awesome shield wall.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

It is.. entertaining, and certainly very different from the ones I've made
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

gd aar keep up
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

It is.. entertaining, and certainly very different from the ones I've made
    Really? I didnt read other people's AAR much. Where is yours? I would love to read it.

Thanks for reading mine....i will update my AAR here and there whenever I can.

Severous's Avatar Biarchus

An easy read. Nice balance of pictures and words.

What would you say are the biggest challenges when playing as Greece in this Mod ? Does it feel significantly different from Greece in vanilla RTW?
    Regards
    Severous

Did my part in a Franks BI Succession campaign:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118689
    Played a Mod called "End of Days" Picture based AAR is here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116509
    From last year. Final turn of vh/vh Egyptian campaign
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54262

Biggest challenge? The first 50 a 100 turns! This game is incredibly hard. The other factions throw lots of more powerful armies at you. It's not easy to make your way out of Greece to conquer the rest of the world.

If your army gets vanquished in battle, it really has deadly consequences for your future. You have to think more about your strategy and which city you take.

And yes, it does play and feel significantly different from Greece Vanilla RTW.
    In this mod, its mainly based upon Greece. So there's a lot of more new units. Some cities of Greece can even build special units ( Sparta = Spartans, which are a nearly unstoppable unit ).
    But the creator of the mod also added new units to other factions.

When I play Vanilla RTW, I was kinda bored by fighting the same weak armies over and over again. Most of em had only warbands and cheap units. In this game, each faction has it's own elite unites too. I totally recommend this mod if your bored of vanilla RTW and seek out new challenge and better gameplay

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

It is an nice easy read. Just what you need around 12.30.

Really? I didnt read other people's AAR much. Where is yours? I would love to read it.
    My first and
    second

The third you can find by clicking my sig
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Looks like you've almost totally cleaned house on those Roman dogs...your Spartans look like they may need some retraining though.
    good luck man, keep up the AAR
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Yeah, the romans are now nearly beaten. They are pretty much scattered around Europe. I'm now in war with GErmania and Iberia.

The Spartans are already retrained. With these new equipment and lots of battle experience....they are more powerful then ever.

BATTLE OF THE TITANS #2

Hey guys, my campaign is still raging!
    At moment I have conquered all of Italy. The Romans are crushed, humiliated and pushed back to West-Europe....to Gaul lands ( nowadays, France part ).

I was quite happy and living a peaceful time at Italy until the brute armies of Germania interrupted my holiday. But in times of peace its always good to prepare for future wars ( said an once very wise man ).

So Germania started to attack my cities at north Italy. I drove them back and immediatly started a counter-attack. I attacked a Germanian village just beyond the mountains of Italy :

The City of Luvavum....such cute name too ! Whooo !
    Germania was not happy with this so they sendt out re-inforcements to stop me.

I was definately outmatched. I didnt know what to expect from this battle. One army attacked me from behind....the other was coming the other side. I was surrounded. Lose or win.....i wanted to make a battle report of this.

My GREEK army consisted of:

It was lacking infantry units....so I was quite nervous.

The GERMANIAN armies:
    Under command of the Germanian General BRINNO OF GENAVA:

GERMANIAN 2nd army:

As you can see, lots of archers at Captain Adalmun's army. Also a lot of powerful Chosen Axemen. Fearsome warriors....

Will my brave Greek warriors hold their grounds? Am I able to win this?

I positioned my army on a hill. My few infantry units to the front. The backrow are the archers.

To get an idea of how the Germanian armies were approaching me, I made a (silly) drawing in photoshop. So you can understand how my army stood surrounded by the Germanian armies.

My army was prepared.....to die fighting or make an awesome victory. It could go any way.

FRONT VIEW OF MY POSITIONED ARMY

To slowdown the Germanian army that was coming up the hill, I sended my 4 units of Missile Cavalry to annoy them. I didn't had much to give away, but I could at least slow em bit down and wear down the army that I was fighting on the top of the hill.

So my 160 Horsemen rode out, to fight off the Germanians who were climbing the big hill:

They did pretty good....throwing their deadly javelins into the Chosen Archer units of Germania. It sure slowed them a bit down. Enough to give my army time to kick ass at top of the hill.

PICTURE : The Germanian army below the hill is being slowed because of my missile cavalry. Eat those javelins, b@st@rds !!! ( nice blue sky eh ? )

On the other side, The main GERMANIAN army was showing up from the forest. This was their terrain.....forests. My Greek units were more used in fighting open grasslands. This time we were on unfamiliar territory.

PICTURE : THE BARBARIC HORDE OF GERMANIA

My archers started firing. It was an awesome sight. Eight units of Archers firing their arrows. The Germanian army at top made some big losses. But not enough to stop them. They were charging towards my infantry. Things became real bloody. A lot of big fights. It was chaos ! We were outnumbered big time but my troops were still standing. The Spartans kicked a lot of ass. Reinforcing the Hypasists whenever they could.

Then panic broke out among the Germanian Forces!!

And soon after the panic broke out...their captain Adalmun was killed. My troops gained more morale!!

Panic and fear made place for terror. Most of Germanian forces retreated back to the forest were they just came from. And they were right, because my Greek forces just killed their LEADING GENERAL just after they killed captain Adalmun:

In the meanwhile, my Missile Cavalry at the bottom of the hill was out of javelins. I called them back. The Germanian army at top was weakened, tired and afraid. So I send half my primary infantry unit of Hypasists back to the edge of the hill to fight off the 2nd Germanian Army which were slowed down big time because of my missile cavalry.

By the time they got at top, my Hypasists scared them away....hunted them down:

PICTURE : Push em back down that hill !!

My Spartan Royal Guard aided here and there:

The Chosen Axemen were no match for the SHIELD WALL of SPARTA.
    They were easily crushed and beaten.....fleeing back to the forests.

The other half of my Hypasists charged towards the Chosen Archers of Germania.
    Since their Captain Adalmun and their leading General died....their morale was broken.

PICTURE: Hypasists chasing down germanic Archers. LOLZ!

My 8 units of Archers were out of ammo. So I sended them out to fight the Chosen Archers aswell. They took out their little swords and started stabbing away. Brave amateurs....

PICTURE: Even Archers can fight if they have too

In the meanwhile, the Spartans bashed the Chosen Axemen. To proof some courage, the Barbarian Spearmen tried to take on my Spartans. No chance though:

PICTURE: Not a chance

The battle lasted pretty long.....and it was very tough....but in the end I was victorious. I had many casualties though. I think there was no other way though.

PICTURE: Game over, Germania!!!

CONCLUSION: I should not underestimate GERMANIA. Their forces are well-balanced and powerfull.

MY EMPIRE looks now like this after the sea invasion of ROME which was really a succes!

close-up:

And I was quite pissed off at Germania by constantly attacking me. So I just dediced to do a counter-offensive and push back GERMANIA. This will be my strategy to conquer Europe:

So far another report of my campaign. I hope you liked reading this. I tried to provide as much picturs as I could.

Alrite, another post because at moment I am blitzkrieg-attacking through Europe. And its going very rapidly.

To give some impression of how it all went, I will show you older pictures of my campaign map....and then the new pictures. After this, there is also a little battle I fought which I wanted to post.

First the HISTORY FACTS of my GREEK EMPIRE in chronological order:

-Macedonia defeated
    -War with Thrace
    -Thrace nearly extinct after big war
    -The naval invasion on south italy begins, conquered 4 cities
    -War with Rome
    -conquered whole Italy, pushed Rome back to west-europe
    -Germania started attacking me on north italy.
    -Counter-offensive started on Germania, "The battle for Europe"
    -Conquered eastern Europe, Germania nearly defeated, moving towards west-europe ( current situation)

Now for the pictures to aid the history facts text ( also in chronological order so you can measure things ):

PICTURE ABOVE: Starting position of Greece at beginning. Greece only holds 4 cities at the beginning.
    - This is where the war with Macedonia ( black colored faction ) begins and shortly ended. They didnt put up much of a fight.

PICTURE ABOVE: Macedonia destroyed. In war with Thrace ( blue colored faction). Lasted pretty long too. In the end Thrace was beaten. Pushed back to the north.
    Then the Naval Invasion started on Rome ( red colored faction). Conquered 4 cities at south Italy. War with the Romans started. Heavy war, lots of legionaries to fight.

PICTURE ABOVE: Conquered all of Italy. Pushed Rome back to france provinces ( Gaul faction territory, Gaul = destroyed )
    Germania started the attack on north italy ( deep-red colored faction ).

PICTURE ABOVE: Stategy points marked on the map. Counter-offensive to conquer all of Europe.
    I was using west-Italy to be my border defence city ( City Messalia, the most west city of my empire ). I would charge up north to break Germania and then move to west-Europe.

PICTURE ABOVE: Current situation:
    Splitted the Germania kingdom in two as I planned. The counter-offensive worked pretty well.

How did I do it? I had build massive armies at my main Greek lands ( armoured Phalangites, Spartan Phalangites, Hypasists, Heavy Cavalry, Athenian Marine Archers, Missile Cavarly ). Most of the elite Greek units are in my army. And I sended all these armies up north. It seems the faction Iberia ( brown-colored faction located at spain) is now the only one in my way to prevent me conquering west-Europe and Spain lands.

Note: I give back the city of Olbia to Scythia. The province I mentioned at my strategy-mark map. lolz ! Yes, thats the gentleman I can be sometimes

Now I will post my battle with a Roman General later. I'm tired of typing and I want to game some more.

To give ya an indication:

Its another Roman General called VETTIUS by his last name.
    I posted a roman battle above which was about another general called SERVIUS VETTIUS.
    This must be his (grand)son GALERIUS VETTIUS then. The last battle with his dad SERVIUS VETTIUS kinda leaded it's own story and I now have a personal thing against these VETTIUS families of ROME.

To be continued.....

nice to see a xgm aar keep up the good work mate
    we shall never surrender! - Churchill

A disorderly mob is no more an army than a heap of building materials is a house - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by ][Xyphos][ - Lee View Post
    nice to see a xgm aar keep up the good work mate
    thanks man! I hope you enjoyed reading.

THE HUNT FOR THE ROMAN FAMILY VETTIUS

Situation: Still fighting GERMANIA and IBERIA in West-Europe. I already pushed back the ROMANS to west-europe. They are stuck between GERMANIA and IBERA.

Then suddenly a ROMAN General showed up in north-Italy. So I was like WTF are you doing on your ex-property, pal. I sended a small detachment to hunt him.

I soon discovered that the general was Galerius Vettius. The son or grandson of Servius Vettius....the King/Emperor of ROME which I killed during my naval invasion on Italy:

PICTURE INFO : The killed King of ROME: Servius Vettius after 2 big battles.

So now it was personal again....i wanted to hunt down this Galerius Vettius, (grand)son of former king SERVIUS. Galerius is probably the new king .....or the Heir.....i dont really know.

I know I am outnumbering them big time. I'm just having my personal thing here against the VETTIUS family of ROME. Thats why I wanted to show you this.

My Greek army consists of:

PICTURE INFO: A simple basic Greek army. Nothing to special here.

The ROMAN army consists of:

PICTURE INFO : LOL !

So the battle started and my troops were ready to hunt the royal Galerius Vettius.

PICTURE INFO : Galerius Vettius and his bodyguard cavalry

So there he was, protected by his bodyguards. He would not be safe from my army. My troops were placed upon a hill, just like the Roman forces. I sended my Missile cavalry to welcome the ROMAN General back in Italy. His former lands, muhahahaha!

PICTURE INFO: Sending my missile cavalry as welcome party for Galerius

PICTURE INFO: Welcome back, ROMANS !! Have some spears !!

So after some spear-throwing my missile cavalry was out of ammo. I sended them to the flanks. 2 units to the left, the other 2 units to the right.

PICTURE INFO: You can see what damage has been caused by my missile cavalry. The proof lies between the 2 roman infantry unit. Galerius Vettius and his bodyguards are now standing vulnerable, open for an easy attack. I used my missile cavalry to flank them. I didnt care what casualties I would get, all I wanted was to kill VETTIUS as soon as possible. Yes, I actually had gone mad during this battle.

I quickly ordered my horsemen to charge !!

PICTURE INFO: CHARGE !!!!

After some fighting, the ROMAN General Galerius Vettius was the only one left. His bodyguards were slain by experienced Greek Missile Cavalry. He had no option but to abandon his already weakened army and flee to the borders.

Meanwhile, his troops panicked and were cut down like little children by my Greek Light Cavalry.

PICTURE INFO : Galerius is fleeing !! you coward !!! FIGHT ME !! You are not worth royalty!!

PICTURE INFO: The Roman General Galerius had one last secret....he mounted his horse with some NITRO BOOSTER ! He outran my missile cavalry

PICTURE INFO: GALERIUS VETTIUS actually ESCAPED !! Just like his (grand)dad SERVIUS VETTIUS did for the first time. Only to come back with a far more larger army.

But when that comes, my army will be prepared.....(probably) to be continued....

Nice AAR. very good read.
    Good job

I think ill start playing Rome again, nice AAR and cant wait for the next update
    Watch my RTW commentaries here: http://www.youtube.com/MattofRome
    Quote Originally Posted by America
    Killing us just makes us stronger

Icon7 Re: GREEK AAR : A Spartan's Conquest

this isa really good aar the words are there when theyre needed and same for the pictures
    I have just 2 things to say:
    1. the city is called Iuvavum, not Luvavum (tricked me the first time too, I thought It was a typo)
    2. are you going to take on the TSE? looking at the map, they controll pretty much half the world

eagerly waiting for updates,

y halo thar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast