Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PDER: New Map Preview [Work in Progress]

Socal_infidel's Avatar PDER Piper

Default PDER: New Map Preview [Work in Progress]

So I finally got around to working on the new map I've mentioned I'd like to move PDER to myself last night. There's still a lot of work that needs to be done, but it loaded up and seems to work alright as far as battles on it are concerned.

Some pics:

THE MINI-MAP

FUTURE HOME TO GEORGIA:

"GO EAST, YOUNG MAN"

FUTURE LOCATION OF THE CAPITAL OF THE GREAT SELJUQS:
    Hint: Isfahan will be located at the very edge of the map - a tad SE of Baghdad
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

FUTURE LOCATION OF BERGEN, NORWAY:
    Hint: BERGEN will be located along the western coast of Norway, North of Oslo
    (the North-Western-most edge of Norway on this map)

FINNLAND NOW:

EASTERN-MOST EDGE OF MAP:

England Before:

England After:

Iberia Before:

Iberia After:

I'm still debating whether I'm going to extend it northward to include more of Norway.

But what do you think of it so far?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Socal_infidel; September 15, 2007 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: PDER: New Map Preview [Work in Progress]

Looks great, but Neverland Valley Ranch is nowhere to be found

the mini-map looks great. can't wait for the release.

It looks great but I have a question. Are you keeping America in its current state or are you making it realistic?

Although I know its not easy i think that incorporating all of scandinavia would make that part of europe a whole lot more interesting. Even if no kingdom controled all of scandinavia you could always put pagan rebels up there and give players to option to take it. besides it would probably be the first mod to actually have all of scandinvia!

cheers
    nicoçk
    Nico

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrisco View Post
    It looks great but I have a question. Are you keeping America in its current state or are you making it realistic?
    In for now in its present state. But to be honest with you, I'm thinking of getting rid of it all-together.

A] It's poorly depicted as you hint at
    B] The AI doesn't take advantage of it
    C] Since there's a limit on units in the game, it would free up quite a fair bit of slots for new faction units (not that I've hit it yet but still) to delete the Aztec/Native units.

Plus, I've bastardized H. Greeley's advice and am actually thinking of "Go[ing] East, young man..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Although I know its not easy i think that incorporating all of scandinavia would make that part of europe a whole lot more interesting. Even if no kingdom controled all of scandinavia you could always put pagan rebels up there and give players to option to take it. besides it would probably be the first mod to actually have all of scandinvia!

cheers
    nicoçk
    Dunno if I'll go that far, but we'll see. I'm gonna play around with the map a little more tonight.

Cheers!

Personally I d prefer more European/Asian factions as I don t think New World factions add much to the game , especially if they can invade Europe unrealistically as in some mods.
    Not much happening in north of scandinavia at this time, I m not sure if Bergen was of any size back then.It must have been impossible for armies to campaign there in winter.

I think you should just get rid of the new world. it is useless.

cheers
    nicoçk
    Dunno if I'll go that far, but we'll see. I'm gonna play around with the map a little more tonight.
    Now the scale is done all the x,y will need to be changed if you extend west or north, alternatively retracting, so no getting rid of the americas or more scandinvia unless you want to re adjust all the x,y locations

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

great job, + rep !

I think Georgia should be have 2 provinces. Kartli (Tbilisi) - rebel province, Egrisi (Kutatisi) - owned by Georgian Kingdom (Kutatisi - capital).

Quote Originally Posted by sounds like killing View Post
    Now the scale is done all the x,y will need to be changed if you extend west or north, alternatively retracting, so no getting rid of the americas or more scandinvia unless you want to re adjust all the x,y locations
    Luckily, I haven't moved the characters on the map yet. Some are still in the middle of the Mediterranean!

So it's still possible to extend the map around! Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to work on it last night, but tonight definitely.

I plan on extending slightly north still. Unfortunately, I'm not going to try to squeeze in all of Scandinavia as most of the Northern regions are all ice anyway. The question is what province to place in Norway - Bergen or Trondheim?

Quote Originally Posted by Tadzreuli View Post
    great job, + rep !

I think Georgia should be have 2 provinces. Kartli (Tbilisi) - rebel province, Egrisi (Kutatisi) - owned by Georgian Kingdom (Kutatisi - capital).
    Sounds good! Where exactly would Egrisi be located? And what other regions around the Caspian were of some importance during the time-frame?

Cheers!

Indefinitely Banned

Very nice!!

Keep up the great work!

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Map looks good! I can't wait to play some KoG and take down the Turks

I also vote to take the Americas off the map. They add no game value to me due to the fact that I have conqured most of europe and/or my goals by the time I have the chance to go to the new land muhahaha....*cough* Plus I will just play Kingdoms if I want to take over the new world.

Cheers.

Tadzreuli's Avatar Chevalier Blanche

Sounds good! Where exactly would Egrisi be located? And what other regions around the Caspian were of some importance during the time-frame?
    Egrisi located west from Kartli (Tbilisi). Just divide 1 large Georgia province in to the 2 part: west - Egrisi (Kutatisi), east - Kartli (Tbilisi - Georgian rebel). it is hiostorical accurate situation at 1080 AD.

in the east from Kartli (Tbilisi), near of Caspian sea located province Shirvan (Seljuk-Turks province at 1080 AD) - capital - Shamakha .

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Nelson B. View Post
    Map looks good! I can't wait to play some KoG and take down the Turks

I also vote to take the Americas off the map. They add no game value to me due to the fact that I have conqured most of europe and/or my goals by the time I have the chance to go to the new land muhahaha....*cough* Plus I will just play Kingdoms if I want to take over the new world.

Cheers.
    I'm strongly leaning towards removing the Americas. You're right, if someone wants to conquer it they can always play Kingdoms. As it now stands, it's not fully realized and seems gimmicky.

Plus, that will free up 6 more regions (so I'll have 9-10 total to play with). And I think I'm going to go slightly more East to include Esfahan...

Quote Originally Posted by Tadzreuli View Post
    Egrisi located west from Kartli (Tbilisi). Just divide 1 large Georgia province in to the 2 part: west - Egrisi (Kutatisi), east - Kartli (Tbilisi - Georgian rebel). it is hiostorical accurate situation at 1080 AD.

in the east from Kartli (Tbilisi), near of Caspian sea located province Shirvan (Seljuk-Turks province at 1080 AD) - capital - Shamakha .
    Thanks a lot, man! Helpful as always!

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Good worx

taking out the americas has my vote
    And mine as well. I'm not very fond of the way it is portrayed in the game. By the time the game ends it has only be discovered for maybe 35 years. I might need to brush up on my history but I don't believe there was much of a european presence there until about the time of game end and even then it was mostly Spain. Maybe you can just add information scrolls that pop up with important information about the new world and what's going on. Just my 2 cents.

Keep up the good work

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

Hi Socal!

Could you include like region, the Galician Country in the northwest of Spain, which capital city is Santiago de Compostela.

I think that is an important town because there were (and there are) a lot of pilgrims to (the Jacobs Way) visit the saint Jacob tomb, important commerce to the north and the south of Europe, many people from other nations (pilgrims and mercs) stayed here (like the franks...), it´s a Holy City for the Catholics...

What do you think about this add?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by carricanta View Post
    Hi Socal!

Could you include like region, the Galician Country in the northwest of Spain, which capital city is Santiago de Compostela.

I think that is an important town because there were (and there are) a lot of pilgrims to (the Jacobs Way) visit the saint Jacob tomb, important commerce to the north and the south of Europe, many people from other nations (pilgrims and mercs) stayed here (like the franks...), it´s a Holy City for the Catholics...

What do you think about this add?

Thanks in advance
    Hmm. Iberia already has a fair share of provinces, not sure about Santiago. But yes, I'm aware of its importance. In fact, I think one of my earlier maps (before PDER release) had it. The problem was Iberia had a lot of provinces along the coast there - Santiago, Porto, Coimbra, Lisboa, Silves...A little too close for comfort.

Plus, last night I extended the map a little bit more East. I wanted to make room for Isfahan, which was the capital of a (sorta) new faction I plan to add! So I'm going to need all the free province slots I can!

Although, maybe you should ask VirusITA what he thinks about adding Santiago to his BigMap PDER!

Oh, and be on the look-out for another peak at the map later today!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast