Thread: How do chariots work?

Default How do chariots work?

till now, i still haven't grasp how chariots can actually do damage when charging into the enemy via the flank or the rear, should i actually click on the land behind the enemy or on the enemy itself? seems to lose steam when i try to ram the enemy

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Default Re: how does chariots work?

Just dont let them to get bogged down. click behind the enemy. The best way to use chariots is to make small army of them - works best with the scythed ones - and send them to fight rebels. The trick is to use autoresolve since the chariots are way overpowered in auto battles and in 2-3 battles they'll hit multiple silver chevrons.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

thanks , well i'm playing the seleucids on vannilla and my chariots seems to get teared down before they can tear anything...

Chariots should, IMO, be used for lowering the enemy's morale. put them behind your infantry and they'll loose a lot of their morale bonus. If you like you could use them against enemy cavalry. Chariots crush cavalry like flies, but don't waste them on enemy infantry. When in need you can charge them in their backs, but only when out of other options.

Yeh and i agree with what everyone has said so far, but i highly advise that you dont use chariots in a city as they knock over all of your troops, and also try not to run the chariots threw your own men as again they will knock em all down and reck (ruin) your formations. Chariots are good but in my opinion, not amazing. Phalanxes tear chariots to shreds. lol well anyway, hope this helps.

- Pet
    A Born Inspiration To The World

Civis

Chariots are lethal, but dont attack spearmen and always keep them moving , that is most important of all, if they stop, they die quickly. They absolutely wipe out horse units, are very good (if kept moving) attacking urbans and the like from side or behind and fast, so they will catch up with archers/slingers etc very quickly. Without doubt, in the right hands, chariots are to be feared. They need special attention though as they are as fragile as they are lethal.

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Oman
    Chariots are lethal, but dont attack spearmen and always keep them moving , that is most important of all, if they stop, they die quickly. They absolutely wipe out horse units, are very good (if kept moving) attacking urbans and the like from side or behind and fast, so they will catch up with archers/slingers etc very quickly. Without doubt, in the right hands, chariots are to be feared. They need special attention though as they are as fragile as they are lethal.
    Very well stated, Oman.

The only thing I can think to add is that chariots are most lethal when spread out in a long line and given plenty of room for a headlong charge into the enemy. Disengage as quickly as possible, and reform away from enemy contact. Chariots get multiple hitpoints but only about 1 point of defense; so a stopped chariot quickly becomes a dead chariot.

Default Re: How do chariots work?

Hey everyone... I had a quick question about chariots, specifically Briton's chariots. I have always done the double click behind the enemy formation and keep the chariots in as wide a line as possible, but I'm still losing chariots left and right. Is there any advice that anyone could give besides the basic chariot instructions? Any tips or tweaks to my strategy that could help out at all? Thanks.

Zekey's Avatar Biarchus

Don't double click behind the enemy line just use normal attack.

teh zeke is right.

Is this also usefull when archers are firering? Because arrows are most likely to hit moving chariots than charging chariots or am i wrong?

avion365's Avatar Campidoctor

here is a helpful tip, don't charge a phlalanx from any direction with chariots, use them agenst light infantry and cav.

Quote Originally Posted by Avion365 View Post
    here is a helpful tip, don't charge a phlalanx from any direction with chariots, use them agenst light infantry and cav.
    Thank you but thats is the standard tip also given in the chariot description
    Also very logical cause chariots have horsies and phalanx spears which goes a little like this for chariots:

Muagan_ra's Avatar Senator

Conventional wisdom would suggest that they're good for breaking up formations. In my experience they can be alright for that, but it's normally a suicide mission - since they have such poor defense, their hitpoints soon get used up in a mass of infantry. I don't bother with them, personally, they tend to mess up your plans as much as they do the enemies.

Why is it that all the factions that have morale lowering units (elephants, chariots, Carthage, Seleuicids...) are likely to go to war with factions that can destroy these easily?
    "The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." Tacitus on Health & Safety
    "Abuse, if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." Tacitus on trolling

make small army of them, that is the best what you can do it with them.....